What BOOK are you reading right now?

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 06:24 pm
The Long Walk amazed me when I read it quite a number of years ago. It's not actually that good a book, but I was struck by King's ability to stretch out a very simple methaphor for the length of an entire full-length novel. King himself has said that it might be the best of his Bachman novels. I strongly disagree with that, but it's certainly worthy of note.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:06 am
ehBeth wrote:
msolga wrote:
Just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, by Marina Lewycka. Just wonderful! I loved it! (Thanks for the tip, hinge.)

I loved that book! resonance resonance resonance

You too, EhBeth!

Yes, wasn't it terrific! Very Happy

So tell us about your resonance experience & I'll tell you about mine. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 08:38 am
Just bought Three Cups of Tea, starting it today.
0 Replies

stanlen

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:07 pm
The Assassin by Andrew Britton

CIA agent prevents terrorist attack on NY
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:10 pm
The Girl with the Botticelli Face
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:25 pm
Re-reading The Pillars of the Earth by Follett.
Lots of fun if you like the Middle Ages and are fascinated by Gothic
cathedrals.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 03:28 am
I made it to page 210 of Ulysses, but started a biegraphy of JAcky Kennedy, yesterday.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:19 pm
I can't wait to get home tonight and curl up with a book called, "The Long Day: The Story of a New York Working Girl," an autobiographical novel written by Dorothy Richardson, back in 1905.

There are too many accounts of working women from back in those days, and this one looks pretty good.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:42 pm
Ohhhh goody, I've been waiting for this thread to popup...

I'm working my way throgh "Crime and Punishment" ~ just come across a plot twist with 40% yet to read that may become very interesting.

Also, my current short story book is a Ernest Hemingway compilation. The diversity of his writing is most impressive.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:42 am
BillW, I've just bought a paperback by R.N. Morris titled "A Gentle Axe". The main character is Police Detective Porfiry Petrovich. It may be a while before I get to it but I'll let you know what I think. It might be an interesting read after "Crime and Punishment". (Anybody else read "A Gentle Axe"?)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 12:51 am
I got about 5 books in line, but I also have a gift card from Barnes and Noble so, hmmmmmmm, those things start decreasing in value after a while. Better protect my investment, right :wink:
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:35 am
I haven't touched a book all week...
Still on Ulysses, though!

Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:45 am
Make sure you tell us how it ends, Bohne! :wink:

I just finished Deborah Moggach's In the Dark. A quick & enjoyable read, set in London during WW1. It starts like this:

"It was a dank day in March when the telegram came. Ralph, who was 14, was sitting in his bedroom looking at the bust enlargement pictures."
The telegram informs the family that Ralph's sensitive, impractical father has been killed in the trenches. But before too long, Ralph's mother takes up with the local butcher, Mr Turk, an entirely different (vulgar & ruthless)kettle of fish! Ralph is appalled & promptly becomes a vegetarian (& very difficult!) as a protest.
In the boarding house his mother runs (& Mr Turk soon takes over & plans to "develop") are numerous tenants, one of whom (we discover later) is pretending to be blind to avoid war service. He smokes constantly & goes on & on about Marx & the revolution that will no doubt soon come!
There are lots of twists & turns, surprises, sad & touching moments (mainly to do with the effects of the war on different people) along with highly amusing ones. And quite a bit about meat, blood & sex!

As I was reading it, I came across an article about Deborah Moggach, who had just been to Adelaide, for the writers festival. This is how she describes her approach to many of her novels:
"I like setting up a seemingly happy family and then planting a stick of dynamite in the corner of the room. Light the blue touch paper and watch what happens..."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/books/shes-got-the-fever/2008/03/18/1205602374773.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:22 am
Just started on a biography of Maria Callas

Will get to the 'youknowwhat' though, promise!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:06 am
I am presently reading Hunger by Knut Hamsun, if there are any other late 19th early 20th century Norwegian fiction fans out there.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:07 pm
I've been working for every on a book of short stories from American authors from the 1850's to 1920's. I've been stuck on some strories I have read before and the finishing of Crime and Punishment. I have started a Ernest Hemingway book of short stories also that keeps pulling me away.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:41 pm
Still plugging through my elementary collection. I just read a book called The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis. It's about life in Kabul, Afghanistan under Taliban rule in the mid 90s. Specifically about a young daughter who has to dress like a boy to earn money to feed her family after her father is thrown in jail.

Next I have a short historical fiction about the Trail of Tears.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:49 pm
I'm reading a book I've had a long time but never gotten to, Lawrence Durrell's Bitter Lemons. I'm sure I bought it because of its title, its lemon yellow cover, and descriptions on the back cover. I haven't read Durrell before but surely will again. Yes, I've heard of the Quartet, but I've heard about a lot of things. I don't want to look 'Lemons' up on line since I don't want to be nudged in view when I am in the middle of reading it.

I think I've mixed it up with something else I've not read, something by DH Lawrence set in Tuscany. Well, I'll worry about that later.

But to end the post, I'll say I also enjoyed the book, Driving over Lemons, for different reasons.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:26 am
Gargamel wrote:
I am presently reading Hunger by Knut Hamsun, if there are any other late 19th early 20th century Norwegian fiction fans out there.

Hamsun was one of my father's all-time favorites. I think dad had every book Hamsun ever wrote in his library (provided, of curse, it had been translated into either English or Latvian). In consequence, I've read very little Hamsun. (Fillial rebellion against authority figures is a terrible thing.)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:57 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

Hamsun was one of my father's all-time favorites. I think dad had every book Hamsun ever wrote in his library (provided, of curse, it had been translated into either English or Latvian). In consequence, I've read very little Hamsun. (Fillial rebellion against authority figures is a terrible thing.)

That's funny. I plowed through my father's bookshelf in college.
0 Replies