What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:49 pm
I guess I should actually come out and rail against the Kellermans' book, as I said I would.

It was a set of novellas, both novellas said to be worked on by both of them, under the title, Capital Crimes.

I'll give you my bias before reading it -
1) whereas I have liked several of Jonathan Kellerman's books, if not entirely, well enough to buy the next and the next,
2) I didn't like a couple of Faye Kellerman books I read decades ago, and have avoided buying others.

Additionally, I figured
1) any dual author book will probably suck, and this was $9.99 in paperback
2) I assumed it was cobbled together.

So, I didn't buy it.

Next week, facing diminishing lighter heft books to read before I dig into HG Wells' Outline of History, volumes I and II (however good or problematic those may be), I bought it.

Grits teeth -

The first novella had some interest, re location and characters, but the writing was dead, wooden. ABC sentences, one after the other. I carried on reading, since I rather like Berkeley and Sacramento. Basically dreadful.

The second novella, I gather the start or some large part of a yet to come out J. Kellerman book, started out with terrific writing, then got logy. There was some mention in the foreward or "backward" that he might have more polishing to do.

Yikes. I resent hurling $10. at cobble-di-gook.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:08 pm
http://www.bigbendbookstore.org/store/images/175.jpg

I am reading this right now and find it to be a fantastic book. I would highly recommend this book to Phoenix, since The Arches and Canyonland are still fresh in her mind and I would also wager a substantial of money that dys has read this book more than once.

I can not believe that as long as this book has been around I am just now getting around to reading it, but I guess there are only so many books a person can read.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:13 pm
Actually, I think Green Witch would like this book as well. Next time I bump into her I will mention it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:14 pm
I was walking by the computer and i thought I heard your voice. How are ya?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
Couldn't be better. Gonna read my book?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:36 pm
I was getting worried about you. Good to know you're not lying in a bog somewhere turning into a fossil.

Sure I'll read it. I'll put it on my list for winter.
0 Replies

hemlock34

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:52 am
maporsche wrote:

Yep, that was good too. Harris' "Letter to a Christian Nation" is worth a read too.

Christopher Hitchens had a good book come out recently.

And you have to love Bertrand Russell's "Why I'm not a Christian" essay.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check those out
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 02:32 am
The Myth of the First Three Years by John Bruer

This is purely neuroscience. The author poses arguments against the myth that the first three years of life are the most important with respect to brain development and intelligence.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Trying to make sense of Ashley Wilkes.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

I have put reading this one off for a long time now. I thought I should get my act together this month.

Re-reading Shantaram by G. D. Roberts
My favorite book. Now reading from a writer's perspective.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:45 pm
A History of Private Life from Pagan Rome to Byzantium

I expect this to be interesting if I don't club myself with the book reading in bed. Heavy....

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/VEYHIS.html
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:30 pm
the sun also rises
0 Replies

Ahi

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:14 pm
Romance
well i'm reading a romance book called Paradise Bay by Victoria Alexander very nice so far and next on the list is Thursday's Child by Sondra Browne and then Maybe a Nore Roberts or Tom Clancy book
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:47 am
A Wrinkle in Time by Madelaine L'engle to my kids

and Pirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda Long and David Shannon - riveting and honest a real page turner
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:56 pm
Does anyone else find themselves getting carried away with buying too many books that lack of time dictates will not get read for a good while? I can't help myself sometimes, I've spent too much time on Amazon and the like over the last few days compiling a fairly large list of books for buying/reading at Christmas. It needs cutting down but I want them all! Razz
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:17 pm
I've stopped buying books at stores who won't honour the American prices. And I don't have a library card here yet, so I'm re-reading things... right now it's Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
I liked that m'self.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm
I'm about to start Ma, He Sold Me for a Few Cigarettes by Martha Long which Mrs Hinge was completely absorbed by. Anyone else read it?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 06:09 pm
Just finished "Timbit Nation: A Hitchhiker's View of Canada" by John Stackhouse. Picked it up second hand to send to my son who's stalled in his own cross-country hitchhiking adventure. (Stalled in Newfoundland -- likes it so much he's staying put for a while.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:46 am
Klan-Destine Relationships
A Black Man's Odyssey in the Ku Klux Klan.
by Daryl Davis

It's a fascinating read. I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:17 am
The Power and the Glory--Graham Greene
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:26 pm
I'm reading back to back terry pratchett novels (this is getting ridiculous!). The one I just finished is "Maskerade". My favorite quote from this book is,

"The satin slippers of the other dancers twinkled as they drifted across the floor, but the boots flashed and clattered like a tap dancer afraid of falling into the sink."

The visual is great! Still.

Now I am starting "Guards! Guards!"
0 Replies