What BOOK are you reading right now?

sunlover

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:13 pm
The Knights Templar by Stephen Howarth. Just something I didn't know too terribly much about. Interesting, the respect and admiration these enemies between the east and the west, had for each other.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
Syrup by Max (Maxx) Barry. This book is hilarious. And just awesome. Read it.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 06:56 am
Torbedo Juice by Tim Dorsey. featuring our most lovable psycopath, Serge, and his buddy Coleman.
Crazy...
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 02:53 pm
I just finished readinganother Tom Clancy "Net Force" and a Dale Brown "wings on fire". I'm getting ready to read the Dale Brown "Dream Land" series.
I don't think this is too bad: in less than 18 mos I have read over 20 novels completes 150 hours of civilian correspondence courses, 2 military residence courses and 50 hours of military corespondence. Damn when they said war was hell I didn't think it was gonna be this bad!
0 Replies

Yoss83

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:03 am
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Start was a bit slow and felt like giving up at one point. (Although any book on the tail of Crime And Punishment is going to seem slow!) I'm two thirds of the way into it now and it's riveting. Cool
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:41 am
a p.g. wodehouse compilation, it was assembled by members of various wodehouse societies and contains fave stories from all his writings, jeeves and wooster, psmith, blandings etc.

it also has a section of his essays and articles, things i've not been exposed to before

very enjoyable, the forward is written by stephen fry
0 Replies

Yoss83

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 01:17 am
Ah I love PG Wodehouse! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:20 pm
"His Excellency" by Joseph Ellis. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to understand how George Washington was able to lead this country into becoming "a country. It is my 4th book that I have read on this period and I am so impressed with this man, and I realize how lucky we were to have him, Madison, Hamilton, and Jefferson.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:58 pm
I am re-reading "The Blank Slate"- a non-fiction book by the incomparable Steven Pinker who reminds us, in his lucid prose and tightly constructed logic, that Human Nature does exist and that Environment is not as important as the Boasians told us it was.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 07:30 pm
Scoot over, Skinny is my subway reading right now.

I like anthologies for the subway. Walk. Read a story. Transfer. Read a story. Walk.

Nonfiction can be stranger than fiction ... review link
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:01 pm
Monstous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. One of the few laugh-out-loud writers left.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:04 pm
The Castle- Kafka

I've never read anything by Kafka. I've of course heard him referenced by everyone, so I thought I'd give him a go. And he's influenced one of my favorite writers, Murakami. I was told his Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, which I just read, has some tinges of Kafka in it.

Just starting, but intrigued.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:08 pm
Don't miss Kafka's Metamorphosis. Easy read and truly unique.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:20 pm
I will. I get the feeling I'll really like his writing. I wanted to start with a different piece because I've already been exposed to thematic elements of Metamorphosis and The Trial. It's like studying Nietzsche-everyone's already got an opinon of him before they read the words. I know I'll want to read them next.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:36 pm
Just finished, John Grishams~ The Testament. Before that, It was his book, "The Painted House".

I'm a big John Grisham fan, love his writing...I get caught up reading, and can't seem to put it down....

Which reminds me, I need to go and get another one....
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:35 am
I listen to audio-books while driving back and forth to work.....

"The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith

the narrator is great.... feels like I'm in Botswana.... I wouldn't have known how to phrase the language, if I were just reading the book....

:-)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:38 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
Just finished, John Grishams~ The Testament. Before that, It was his book, "The Painted House".

I'm a big John Grisham fan, love his writing...I get caught up reading, and can't seem to put it down....

I have read the Testament. Interesting book but I liked The Firm and The Pelican Brief better. Have been JG fan since The Firm, coincidently his first novel.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:03 am
spidergal wrote:
makemeshiver33 wrote:

I have read the Testament. Interesting book but I liked The Firm and The Pelican Brief better. Have been JG fan since The Firm, coincidently his first novel.

His first novel was A Time To Kill.

Haven't read much Grisham since high school.

Now reading Lorrie Moore's Self Help.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 03:43 pm
I love John Grisham...wish I had more time to read than I do...

The Testament, was one book I couldn't put down, I think I read it in about 2 1/2 days...I took it to the tub, the bathroom, outside.....lol It has so many twists and turns in it...just really enjoyed it.

I get into autobiographies sometimes...Have read many of them, I'm sure none of interest to most of ya'll in this group, but I have found them interesting...lol
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:58 pm
Rereading Atlas Shrugged. I recently recommended it to a friend, and figured I could use some Ayn Rand musings as well.
0 Replies