What BOOK are you reading right now?

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
The Wedding, Who Will Cry When You Die?, Intelligence Reframed.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:48 am
Solo
By Clyde Edgerton
My advertures in the air.

Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill.

Back to the basics, through the AF Training Base at Laredo Texas and through combat training. It brings back lots of memories for us pilots.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
Fear and loathing in Las vegas by hunter S thompson (love this book so much it was an impulse buy that paid off big time)
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
mm... nowadays iam reading 2 books academic one which is :elements of drama and the other one is aplay :BEGGAR'S OPERA byJOHN GAY Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
just picked up
Of mice and men
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
how is it?
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:25 am
the hobbit- its actually quite good

ive read Lewis' narnia and can see the personal narrative (which i love) in tolkiens righting too

the adventure story isnt really my type but i got into this book from the start

although it goes at a steady pace it never gets boring
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Re-reading "Wish you well", David Baldacci - a departure from his usual genre.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:20 pm
Did you finish Lord of the Emus?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:11 pm
No - Queen of the Quagmires.

Hey, I just googled Lord of the Emus and some b'std is using my picture! That's complete pants!
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:41 pm
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Wow, truth is indeed stranger than fiction. Some incredible, and horrible, history of the windy city, Chicago, before, during and after the 1893 World's Fair.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
sunlover wrote:
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Wow, truth is indeed stranger than fiction. Some incredible, and horrible, history of the windy city, Chicago, before, during and after the 1893 World's Fair.

That sounds super interesting.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:07 pm
A teenager's journey : surviving adolescence - Richard B Pelzer
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:00 pm
Memoirs of A Geisha
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:06 pm
Wonderful book called Andalus, by Jason Webster. As I´m in Andalucia it is particularly relevant but it is highly readable and interesting anyway.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 03:03 pm
I just finished Budapest, by Chico Buarque. Throughout most of the (slim) novel, the story is enticing, the style elegant and captivating. The book is at once charming and eccentric to the point where you're caught up in this parallel, vaguely-magical world as soon as you start reading. Beautifully vulnerable, yet confident.

Then the ending is a big disappointment. It's like the writer just got stuck, getting lost in the storylines that, instead of finding some satisfactory completion, just fray apart, will not work anymore. And left with those, he just roughly ties them all up in a last, far-fetched knot. Doesn't convince for a moment. Pity - really spoils it a bit. Instead of proudly showing it my friends I now feel more like Bookcrossing it.

When I was sitting in a cafe the other night a musician leaned over to talk for a second. When he saw the book he said hey I read that too - and told me about how the writer is a famous musician as well. He said he's better as musician.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
Before that I read Incendiary, by Chris Cleave. I bought it purely on the basis of the opening paragraph - or, OK, the two opening paragraphs:

Quote:
Dear Osama, they want you dead or alive so the terror will stop. Well I wouldn't know about that I mean rock n roll didn't stop when Elvis died on the khazi it just got worse. Next thing you know there was Sonny & Cher and Dexy's Midnight Runners. I'll come to them later. My point is it's easier to start these things than to finish them. I suppose you thought of that did you?

There's a reward of 25 million dollars on your head but don't lose sleep on my account Osama. I have no information leading to your arrest or capture. I have no information full effing stop. I'm what you'd call an infidel and my husband called working class. There's a difference you know. But just supposing I did clap eyes on you. Supposing I saw you driving a Nissan Primera down towards Shoreditch and grassed you to the old bill. Well. I wouldn't know how to spend 25 million dollars. It's not as if I've got anyone to spend it on since you blew up my husband and my boy.

The writing is quick-witted, head-on, urban yet clever. Often hilarious, and yet you do get to feel for/with the protagonists. Until things get out of hand. As the dry wit and well-struck "daily" observations of the first half get outshadowed by an ever more elaborate, over-the-top disaster movie / polit-thriller kind of set-up, the book slids off the rails.

It doesnt help that, reading the book post-7/7, it is so thoroughly shown up as an all too alarmist imagination; in reality, Londoners and authorities didn't panic even remotely like in the book.

The story remains gripping enough till the end, for sure, but whereas the first 100 pages or so, you're thinking, these funny and harshly spot-on observations make for something quite special, in the end it's just become one out of a hundred exciting, engaging paperbacks that flood the trendy, thirty-something bookmarket.

The protagonist, an Eastend girl who is contrasted with the boorish, chillingly soulless and unscrupled yuppie classes, at first immediately solidifies my sympathy and identification. I'm on her side, too - and it's not just because the book wants it so, but the other way round: the book hits a chord with me because I identify with her.

But as the story continues and escalates, the black and white contrasts of rather cardboard-thin personas start showing up how she is, in this book (written by an author who is himself from the Daily Telegraph yuppie crowd), nothing more than a prototype, and a particularly cliched one too. One that blends classic stereotypes about (the plain, more 'real', more 'truthful') working class with those about the (more soulful, ready-to-sacrifice, caring and loving, selfless) woman and mother, and once you become aware of that, it's somehow just distasteful.

Still a good read, mind you, perfect for the daily commuter ride if you have one: it is undoubtedly very funny, and quite exciting. But in the end it's also just fodder.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:39 pm
Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris...revolves around Teddy's presidential years.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:31 pm
Just finished "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell, and now I'm finishing the "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" before I watch the movie.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:56 pm
Sitting down with "les Miserables" finally. It's all new to me.
0 Replies