What BOOK are you reading right now?

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:16 pm
Just started How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill. It's a slim book, under 300 pages... it seems good so far.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:47 pm
purchased "the life of samuel johnson" by boswell yesterday . i have taken the book out of the library about five times, but never read more than about 20 pages , now i won't have an excuse any more for not finishing it - and it cost only $4.99(canadian !). hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:49 pm
Peace like a River..

kinda having a hard time with it. Strange writting style, not an impressive story so far..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:59 pm
I have just finished The Island of the Day Before.

I would be very grateful if someone would take the trouble to explain what it is all about.Just a general idea will do.Nothing fancy.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Louis Armstrong - A biography - James Lincoln Collier
Shocked
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
Asherman, I,too, have read Best American Short Stories of the Cetntury. I thought it gave me a good sense of where the short story had gone over the span of a hundred years. It also made me aware of writers with whom I was unfamiliar.

Am currently reading five other books of short stories:
Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Complete Short Stories of Graham Green
Selected Short Stories of D.H. Lawrence
Collected Stories of Saul Bellow
Selected Stories of Andre Dubus

Also recently read two biographies:
Faulkner by Parinni (or however he spells it)
Melville by Delbanco--this is a very good read. The sections on Moby Dick and mid-nineteenth century New York are excellent.

A couple of months ago I finally finished Enimies, a Love Story by I. B. Singer. Great book, although very sad. Right now, I'm also trying to get through Humboldt's Gift, which I really like. Especially the second half.

Has anyone read Sister Carrie by Dreiser? I'm thinking of reading it after Humboldt's Gift.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:50 pm
I'm currently reading "My Life So Far" by Jane Fonda.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:39 am
spendius - haha true. But seriously though, it's pretty intense. Joeblow - thank you for your warm welcome. I'll definitely post again when I am further along with A Million Little Pieces.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
Hazlitt wrote:
Asherman, I,too, have read Best American Short Stories of the Cetntury. I thought it gave me a good sense of where the short story had gone over the span of a hundred years. It also made me aware of writers with whom I was unfamiliar.

Am currently reading five other books of short stories:
Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Complete Short Stories of Graham Green
Selected Short Stories of D.H. Lawrence
Collected Stories of Saul Bellow
Selected Stories of Andre Dubus

Also recently read two biographies:
Faulkner by Parinni (or however he spells it)
Melville by Delbanco--this is a very good read. The sections on Moby Dick and mid-nineteenth century New York are excellent.

A couple of months ago I finally finished Enimies, a Love Story by I. B. Singer. Great book, although very sad. Right now, I'm also trying to get through Humboldt's Gift, which I really like. Especially the second half.

Has anyone read Sister Carrie by Dreiser? I'm thinking of reading it after Humboldt's Gift.

If you're really eager to dig into turn of the century realism, Sister Carrie is like a prototype. But remember--tedious detail. It's a "novel of manners," but with an atypical ending for the genre, which I thought was cool.

Dreiser's philosophical interjections are so dated, sometimes stuffy, but more often than not, comical and endearing.

In a word, I'd say, store up some patience before opening it.

It will be a contrast to the Modern's you're reading now.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:16 pm
Sister Carrie
Gargamel, I know what you mean by Dreiser's philosophical interjections. I read the first 15 pages or so and got a taste of that, I think, within a page or two.

I am pretty interested in how philosophical thought has been expressed in literature throughout the 20th century.

Thanks for your comments.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
I'm taking a week off from books.
0 Replies

silent protagonist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:02 pm
Reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, The Complete Edgar Allan Poe, about to start St. Augustine's City of God, and rereading the Tao Te Ching.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:08 pm
State of The Union - Douglas Kennedy. I really liked his Pursuit of Happiness, which I read some time ago (set in the US, during the McCarthy era). This latest one is set during the 1960s & post 9-11. So far, so good.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
So I just read that A Million Little Pieces, the book I mentioned a couple of days ago, is all fiction???!!! Am I the last person on earth to find out about this? I'm only about a half way through - this changes my perception completely.

http://cinematical.com/2006/01/09/a-million-little-pieces-is-a-rather-large-lie/
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
kermit wrote:
So I just read that A Million Little Pieces, the book I mentioned a couple of days ago, is all fiction???!!! Am I the last person on earth to find out about this? I'm only about a half way through - this changes my perception completely.

http://cinematical.com/2006/01/09/a-million-little-pieces-is-a-rather-large-lie/

He denies it and says he is going to sue The Smoking Gun.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:08 am
I'm trying to get into Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

Quite enjoyed Zodiak by the same author - but finding this bigger novel a bit hard going.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:52 am
Some short works by Gogol. I just finished Diary of a Madman, today I'll read The Overcoat.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:00 am
Gosh you're quick.

I've just finished and enjoyed my holiday book, "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. A real page-turner, very funny.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:26 am
RE: A Million Little Pieces, I guess we'll have to see how this turns out... I did hear that he's planning on suing Smoking Gun. In any case, I'll keep reading.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
Re: What BOOK are you reading right now?
littlek wrote:
I'm reading Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. I don't know how well known it is. First published in 1889, it's incredibly relevant in today's world. And VERY funny.

There has just been a BBC2 2 parter on 3 comediens doing the say journe as Jerome K Jerome and his friends.
It was very funny and nice to see travelling by river.
Especially so as they went past Reading which is near to me.
0 Replies