What BOOK are you reading right now?

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
The Academy Awards-the Complete Unofficial History
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:19 pm
Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter. I have to admit it make a change of pace from usual reading (have an unfortunate addiction to trashy romances; historical ones with the big hulking...) and it is also pretty depressing. (Posted by revell)

Oh what a ninny Jimmy Carter is. Why would you read anything that he wrote? Are you a Democrat? I hope you got the book for free. I wouldn't read anything that hick wrote let alone pay for it.

Oh well since it was fiction he wasn't abe to screw it up. I'd still reach for trashy romance before Jimmy Carter. Smile
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter. I have to admit it make a change of pace from usual reading (have an unfortunate addiction to trashy romances; historical ones with the big hulking...) and it is also pretty depressing. (Posted by revell)

Oh what a ninny Jimmy Carter is. Why would you read anything that he wrote? Are you a Democrat? I hope you got the book for free. I wouldn't read anything that hick wrote let alone pay for it.

Oh well since it was fiction he wasn't abe to screw it up. I'd still reach for trashy romance before Jimmy Carter. Smile

Right.

Thank God we don't have a hick in office right now--you know, the kind of guy who speaks real slow, has a limited vocabulary, likes to go huntin' on his ranch in Texas...
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:35 pm
That's what I like about the South! Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:37 pm
Jimmy Carter was too good for y'all.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 04:24 am
EOE:

Jimmy Carter may be one of the few Presidents who managed to do more as a citizen than a leader.

The fact that he'll likely be the last American to win the Nobel Peace Prize (unless they finally give Noam Chomsky his due), will only further curl the wool of the "BushFlock"
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 05:20 am
I'm reading "Game Theory and Political Theory", "Thinking Strategically", and "Rational Choice and Political Power"

all three are such page turners.....zzzzzzzz
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:14 am
Having fun with this one, gift of a friend...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0552996009.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Rippawallet

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:15 am
Bill Bryson - A walk in the woods Smile By the way, I have got that book ^^^ but haven't read it yet

http://www.nnbh.com/base/21/images/0552997021.jpg
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:32 am
The fact that he'll likely be the last American to win the Nobel Peace Prize (unless they finally give Noam Chomsky his due), will only further curl the wool of the "BushFlock" (Posted by NeoGuin)

I have no idea what the criteria really is for a Nobel Peace Prize. I believe it is whatever the committee happens to have on its mind at the time the awards are made. I happen to dislike most of the recent recipients on the other hand these prizes are not awarded for the sole purpose of making Americans happy. I mean it isn't an Oscar or an Emmy or The Country Music Award.

No, these awards while they may certainly be politically motivated are made with the entire world in mind.

As a result of enjoying my current read "Postwar" by Tony Judt I now have an entirely different perspective of Europe than I did before I read the book. Europeans really have suffered more than most Americans can fully appreciate. This is the main reason their viewpoints are so odd as opposed to ours. Hence irritants such as Mohammad El Baradei, Kofi Annan, Yasser Arafat or Nelson Mandela receiving the prize.

Jimmy Carter was a wholesome choice compared to these people. Yeah, Jimmy was OK. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
The Wandering Arm
Quote:
The mummified arm of St. Aldhelm has been stolen from the Salisbury Cathedral in England and hidden somewhere in Paris, passing from pious to treacherous hands by means of murder most foul. Catherine's husband Edgar, is approached to help find the Anglo-Saxon relic and bring in safely home.

http://www.sharannewman.com/levendeur/arm.jpg

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
In 12th-century France, religion suffuses society. Relics, attributed with great power, are (almost) universally venerated and trade in religious objects is a lucrative, often dangerous business. After losing their first child at birth, ex-novice Catherine Le Vendeur and her English husband, Edgar, last encountered in The Devil's Door, are drawn into this perilous world when Edgar agrees to pose as a masterless craftsman and infiltrate the group suspected of refashioning stolen religious goods. Also at stake is the future of Catherine's relatives, Jews living near the Abbey of St. Denis on sufferance of King Louis VII. Natan ben Judah, whose unsavory reputation may endanger his people, has been murdered; and the relic of the arm of Saint Aldhelm of England, which figures in the dynastic struggles between England's King Stephen and his cousin Matilda, widow of the Holy Roman Emperor, has disappeared. Newman displays a sure hand with the period and her affecting cast in this deftly crafted tale.

mystery/murder/12th century/politics of religion - what's not to like
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
Rippa:

You'll love "Walk In The Wood".

Jack
Quote:

. . .
Hence irritants such as Mohammad El Baradei, Kofi Annan, Yasser Arafat or Nelson Mandela receiving the prize.

Arafat was likely a bad choice, but standing up to the American Empire (Annan and El Baradei) and working against a country where racism was policy (Mandela) seem like good choices.

What I think a lot of Americans need to realize is that the world may not see us they way Bush thinks.

Start with Chomsky's Hegemony Or Survival and go from there. . .
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
What I think a lot of Americans need to realize is that the world may not see us they way Bush thinks. (Posted by NeoGuin)

About half the people here do not see the world the way Bush thinks. Particularly the leftists that include environmentalists, multiculturalists, networks, academics, homosexuals and Hollywood.

The down side to this is America cannot or should not attempt to be like any other country because we are unique in the sense that what we have is better than what any other country has. We did not become this way by being like Europe.

I do think it is extremely important to have a better understanding of why Europeans look at things differently than we do as a result of their long suffering. This enables us to negotiate everything better if we have to. Cool
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
Off the subject but in reply (of sorts) to Jack.
I find it interesting that everbody claims they hate the US, but ultimetly, it is towards the US everyone turns to when they want/need help.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell written by David Michaels.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
I do think it is extremely important to have a better understanding of why Europeans look at things differently than we do as a result of their long suffering. This enables us to negotiate everything better if we have to. Cool

That goes for understanding any group outside of our own, whether differing by race, religion, sex, etc.. If we would take the time to try and understand them, imagine walking in their shoes maybe, perhaps negotiations of any sort would be possible.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Off the subject but in reply (of sorts) to Jack.
I find it interesting that everbody claims they hate the US, but ultimetly, it is towards the US everyone turns to when they want/need help. (Posted by ralpheb)

Isn't this the truth though?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
That goes for understanding any group outside of our own, whether differing by race, religion, sex, etc.. If we would take the time to try and understand them, imagine walking in their shoes maybe, perhaps negotiations of any sort would be possible. (Posted by eoe)

Yes, it always helps to understand people that are "different" with regards to those you mention however other than the differences in location; mainstream, native born Americans readily identify with the British, French, Germans etc. They look just like us. Yet our backgrounds as groups are entirely different.

So it is quite a surprise to find out that people we expect to think about things just like we do probably do not. I experienced this when I lived in Ireland for a few years. In general terms we were a great deal alike. Yet we were not.

One of my best friends is a German. I have known him for more than 40 years and he still continues to surprise me with some of the things he says during our conversations.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:48 am
Hello Jack-

Somebody compared me to a Jack Webbs the other day.I have forgotten who or were.I thought he must be a stand-up or something famous over in the USA but unknown here.Now I've spotted you on the thread list I guess it might be you.

Glad to meet up with you then.

Have you done much Rider Haggard?

I'm reading a real turgid book some clunker gave me for Xmas.I thought it the least I could do is to read it but it is pretty tiresome.The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco.Having done Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum I was prepared for some serious daftness but he has reached another level with this bullshit.However-there are some interesting bits here and there which might make the effort worthwhile.

Have you read it?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:55 pm
You might find the chapter-Of the Origin of Novels (Ch 28) interesting.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
Going Postal, Terry Pratchett
Particularly hilarious is the greengrocer who's speech's contain mi'splaced apostrophe's.
0 Replies