What BOOK are you reading right now?

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 12:10 am
I did too, LH, especially this:

"I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I'm an unattractive man. I think there is something wrong with my liver."

- Dostoyevsky, "Notes from the Underground"

You've got to love Dostoyevsky.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:30 am
I do like that, Stray Cat! I read Crime and Punishment, but I've never read the Notes from Underground.

Seems like people always grab something current to read. We don't think about the classic stuff.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:34 am
Assassin's Gate by George Packer. Excellent about the way we got into the mess in Iraq.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
VNN:

May have to look at that

As for me--I've got The Gunslinger on CD.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
I'm reading The Sound and the Fury.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:24 am
BBB
I normally read mostly non-fiction but I just finished reading The Scorpion's Gate by Richard A. Clarke.

Richard A. Clarke served in the National Security Agency under the Clinton and Bush administrations.

Fresh Air from WHYY, October 26, 2005 ยท As a former counterterrorism official in the Clinton and Bush administrations, Richard A. Clarke often had to imagine worst-case scenarios.

His first novel -- a thriller -- does just that. Set five years in the future, The Scorpion's Gate envisions the United States on the verge of another war in the Middle East.

BBB
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
I just finished (again) Ella Enchanted. This book is kind of magic: if I start reading it, I can't put it down! Laughing
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:12 am
Blood Test by Jonathan Kellerman
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:55 am
Fall on your knees
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:11 pm
Double reading time
Prey - Michael Criton

Mein Kampf - DUH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:24 pm
The Salmon of Doubt - a Dougklas Adams book, published posthumously.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
I guess I'm feeling sadistic.

Started Fellowship of The Ring on CD.

(Oh the joys of a 4-hour one-way trip home)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:16 am
I just finished "Under Western Eyes" by Joseph Conrad. I know I'll never convince anyone to read him, but this book, about revolutionaries in czarist Russia, is amazing...
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 05:31 pm
i've just finished reading THE MAYOR OF CASTERBRIDGE by THOMAS HARDY it is really an emotional tragic novel
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:04 pm
Like most of Hardy's novels. Reading Hardy is like having large stones placed on your chest with each turn of the page.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 02:13 pm
Battle at the Blue bridge
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 01:04 pm
Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter. I have to admit it make a change of pace from usual reading (have an unfortunate addiction to trashy romances; historical ones with the big hulking...) and it is also pretty depressing.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:17 pm
I am reading "Postwar" by Tony Judt. (non-fiction)

I don't believe the average American has any idea how much Europeans suffered during World War II. Especially during 1944-45 as well as the post war years. Pain, torture suffering did not end when the Germans went home and the concentration camps were liberated.

To be sure people suffered in the concentration camps. I know one woman that spent time in five of them and miraculously lived through it. At the same time one of my best friends is a German and we have known each other more than forty years, we served our careers in the U.S. military together.

He was living in Germany as a young boy during and after World War II. I thought I knew him well but after starting this book I now know another side of him. I am both very surprised as well as shocked to know of the awful things that were going on around him and millions of others during those years.

Extraordinary events required extraordinary measures to survive those days and most were not politically correct.

I have more respect for Europeans of all countries now than I had before thanks to "Postwar."

When it means your skin, you'll do anything to survive. Cool
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
Just finished The Alienist, Caleb Carr.

Starting to read, Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
A Series of Unfortunate Events (book the twelfth) (L. Snicket)
Book of Fairy Tales (A. Carter)
(both in progress)
And I've just finished Ella Enchanted (again)
And I read these books for pleasure (of course) AND for work! I love university! Laughing
0 Replies