What BOOK are you reading right now?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:10 pm
Lola wrote:
....Confessions of a Crap Artist by Philip K. Dick...

Good writer. Doesn't get enough recognition.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:14 pm
Philip K. Dick, like so many other things, is an acquired taste. Fortunately, I acquired that taste early on, as a teenager, in fact.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 11:00 pm
I tried to like Philip K Dick, but never acquired a taste for him.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 11:13 pm
Am reading "Never Threaten to Eat Your Coworkers, or The Best of Blogs" - wait, did I post that already? I am having a deja vu. In any case, a good, light, witty, and fun read.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 04:52 am
I'm reading Ulyses by James Joyce, an outstanding book that happens to be really hard to read. For me, those are the best, the ones that demand something from you as a reader. Joy literature, as Roland Barthes would claim.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 06:23 pm
After my slew of John Sandford's prey series, I took a break to try Poppy Brite's Lost Souls, but I just can't get into it, so I have a Robert Parker on standby (Double Deuce?). Anyhow, it looks like it's time for a visit to Encore Books in W. Lebanon, NH.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir, just have to read another fascinating bio of European royalty now and then. This one takes place in the 1100s.

Before that, The Magdalene Woman by Margaret Rogers. Best book I've read on the subject. Unbelievably wonderful story that is probably accurate.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:29 pm
Nietzsche by Richard Schacht. (Hey, what can I say? It's what I read.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:05 am
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. A friend has recommended it. Has anyone here read it?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:55 pm
I have read it. It was sad but well written (in my opinion)

I just finished Kite Runner, and am starting Lipstick Jihad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:56 am
Thanks, gravy. Very Happy
I'll let you know what I think when I've read it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:16 am
sunlover wrote:
Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir, just have to read another fascinating bio of European royalty now and then. This one takes place in the 1100s.

Before that, The Magdalene Woman by Margaret Rogers. Best book I've read on the subject. Unbelievably wonderful story that is probably accurate.

If you like this sort of thing, I would recommend "Legacy" by Susan Kaye.
It is basically the complete reign of Elizabeth the First, and my wife, who is an absolute Tudor "freak" has read it at least six times.
She says it is very accurate, but written in such a way that it is a real page turner. She rates it as about the best book she has ever read.

Hard to get in paperback now, but I believe it's still available in hardback.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:15 am
I second the recommendation of Legacy. It is by no means a "great" novel but it's definitely a page-turner and -- while it takes the usual liberties with historical fact that are the province of poetic license -- it's quite accurate in its major premises. Susan Kaye uses all the best devices of the mocern novelist to bring the Tudor period to life.
0 Replies

gunsniperz

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:28 pm
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception. Eoin Colfer is my favorite author. I've read most of his books. They seriously should print the ireland-exclusive books of his in the USA. Why can't he be american?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:40 pm
I just finished Tony Hillerman's Skeleton Man which I enjoyed as I usually do of his stuff however, I found it one of those really quick reads..or perhaps I'm getting used to him.

I'm onto Dennis Lehane's Prayers For Rain and am starting to enjoy him a great deal more as I continue to read each one.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:16 pm
I'm not reading anything right now.

But a month or less ago, I read "Generation Kill," which was the author's account of riding with First Recon Marines(like the Navy Seals of Marines) as they sent them through ambush missions. Pretty good...and gave a good side of the "soldiers kill a lot of 'innocent' civilians" story.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
Twisted by Jonathan Kellerman
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:47 am
Lois Lowry's The Giver is aimed at young adults but can be challenging for older readers also. It describes a community of the future where everything is under control. The community has eliminated fear, pain, and aggression. The paradox is that a life without pain is also a life without pleasure.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:28 pm
bigdice--how is Twisted? I think its in my stack to be read pile.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
The Davinci Code by Dan Brown. Solveig my ex loaned ot to me. I deliberately was not going to read it because of all the theories that have been postulated. I've had it since yesterday and it is a page turner. I'm making notes as I go along as so many questions are formed in your mind further research is called for. In the notes preceding the story it states that the descriptions of the paintings are accurate (this is important). As I feared this book (by design I'm sure) has brought up so many points that need checking that I'll probably read little else for awhile. I'm a little over halfway through it now.
0 Replies