What BOOK are you reading right now?

Kara

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:56 am
Bella Dea, I enjoyed that book so much that I wish that I, like you, was opening it for the first time.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
Morrissey by David Brett
I finished reading "Morrissey" boig. by David Brett. I'm not suprised that M regarded Brett as a friend when he reads so much depth and originality into Ms words even he seems to have no relevance to anything that's going on around him or is just being whimsically silly. M must love that; it must make him feel so grandly sane...
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:25 am
A Series of Unfortunate Events 2 (for the second time), by Lemony Snicket; Global Garden (a manga... does it count?); Grimm's Fairy Tales; Alice In Wonderland, by Lewis Caroll; The Story of Helen Keller (for the 4th or 5th time...), by Lorena A. Hickok
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie, and Algerian White by Assia Djebar. I also might read "Les Sirenes de Saint-Malo" by Francoise Bourdin when I feel like struggling through it - my french is workable, but it takes more effort to read in a foreign language.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:08 pm
I just bought Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker, his first book. It begins well...

Daniellejean, I have a friend whose name is Jean-Daniel, a Frenchman whom I met, with his wife Jacqueline, in Ireland. Are you French?
0 Replies

basket case

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:54 am
I'm reading 'the silence of the lambs' kapeesh, kaput
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
Never hit a jellyfish with a spade!! Brilliant book!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:14 pm
I chanced on an estate sale this morning. For $8 I picked up a three volume set of Henry James' works in beautiful hard cover and Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund, also a beautiful volume. I plan to read the latter as soon as possible.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:25 pm
Going somewhere by train meant I got to read an interesting contribution about Havel's politics (and their contradictions) in "Intellectuals and Politics in Central Europe", Ed. Andras Bozoki.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:13 pm
nimh, I am interested in your reaction to this book. I revere Havel to the point that I am not critical enough. Would this book help me to be more objective?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:54 pm
Yesterday I finally (holidays!) finished The Turning - Tim Winton. I loved it! A collection of short stories about important moments, turning events in paricular peoples' lives. Very Australian & very Tim Winton territory. It's not obvious until well into the book how the stories inter-connect. I was so sucked in by the last one I found myself rereading a number of the earlier ones to get the full picture. He is one terrific writer, I gotta say! Very Happy

http://www.theblurb.com.au/Issue49/Winton.htm
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:07 pm
Thanks, msolga. Good rec.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:14 pm
A pleasure, Kara. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:19 pm
I'm reading The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac, Confessions of a Crap Artist by Philip K. Dick (a gift from my sweet daughter and it's very good), The Prisoner of Sex by Norman Mailer and last but not least Chronicles, Volume one, by Bob Dylan.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:21 pm
I read a few books, lately. I read part two to Darwin's Radio - Darwin's Children - by Greg Bear. I read Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father by Roy Lewis (FANTASTIC!). And, book 5 of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I'm reading book 6 of that series now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
Lemony Snicket! What a terrific name! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:23 pm
A psuedonym (sp?).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:26 pm
I'm reading Dog is My Co-Pilot
Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship

Totally sucked in to it at page 46.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:26 pm
Quote:
I read Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father by Roy Lewis (FANTASTIC!).

LittleK, what kind of book is this? SciFi? Satire? It sounds interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:35 pm
It's um, it's..... hmmm.... well, it's hard to explain.

Amazon says:
Quote:
Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
This humorous account of an upwardly mobile Pleistocene family's life was first published in 1960.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Product Description:
"Artfully told and laugh-out-loud funny", says the Los Angeles Times Book Review of this long out-of-print novel--now being rediscovered. Lewis's hilarious tale of one Stone Age family offers highly-revised accounts of the invention of fire, the origins of courtship, and much more. Charles Darwin may turn over in his grave.

Customers at Amazon say:
Quote:

Sweet Jehovah, this is a funny book. The conceit is an obvious one when you think about it - write the story of our evolutionary ancestors from a first-person perspective, but in a language that shows all the sensibilities of a well-read, reflective and slightly pompous late-nineteenth century Englishman. The courtship scenes alone I think I have re-read about fifty times and never without laughing.

Humoristic parable about the transition from ape to Homo sapiens with a pessimistic end.
Against the recommendations of his uncle, who defends the old order, the first intelligent anthropoid ape uses the fire he discovers to chase the wild animals and take their holes as a home. He forces his children to exogamy and develops research and technology, which he shares with everybody. The Darwinian evolution is marching on.
The evolution stalls when some of his children take power and keep the latest acquired technological knowledge for themselves in order to dominate the world. They do this against the will of their father, but they kill him.

A very modern story, sparkingly told. Not to be missed.
0 Replies