bigdice67

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:54 am
Yes! PLEASE DO!

I'm roflmfao here!!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:57 am
Jewish mothers sound soooooooooooo much like Indian mothers!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:00 am
Sure, sure. Laugh. I had to live with this.

True story: My parents came up to my office to meet me for dinner. As we were leaving we ran into my boss, who made the mistake of saying something nice about me to my parents. My mother said, "Well, if she's so wonderful, why don't you give her a raise."

True story: My mother would often arrive unexpectedly at my job. She was in the neighborhood. She arrived one day as I was with my boss (the editor-in-chief) and her boss (the publisher) as we were on our way to have lunch with the VP. My mother stopped the group because she had what she considered to be urgent business. She had been clipping catfood coupons for me and wanted me to have them before they expired. As she was sorting through a mass of coupons, I said, "Mom, I've really got to go. The vice president is waiting." To which she responded, "Aah, he needs you more than you need him. Let him wait."

True story: After my parents retired, they spent every winter in Florida (Miami Beach). Their hotel was on the beach, yet they never had a room that faced the ocean. I assumed that it may have been a financial issue until I heard my mother make a less than kind remark about a room--one that faced the ocean. "Why don't you like rooms that face the ocean?" I asked. "There's nothing to look at," she said. "Nothing to look at! What about the ocean?" I responded. "The ocean is boring. The waves roll in, the waves roll out, the waves roll in, the waves roll out. I wanna face the street. Something's always going on."
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 06:38 am
A fine how do you do. You tell me to write more. And I do. So what happens? Bupkis. That's what happens. I give you the best minutes of my life, and this is the thanks I get.

I shoulda known better. I'm not saying another word.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 06:45 am
When mother calls for no reason, I like to try to keep her on the phone as long as possible, and talk about things she completely doesn't care about...works every time Laughing Shortest Mom calls ever...heh heh...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 08:19 am
THANKS BOIDA!!!!!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 08:38 am
Hey 'Boida, great set of true stories there! I'd love to see the looks of your bosses when she quipped that one 'bout the VP!!! Priceless, I guess!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:38 am
hehhehheh
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:41 am
Roberta, you obviously really loved your mother to tolerate her being around your bosses! That's where I drew the line--of course, living 3000 miles away helps in this regard.

Those were great stories!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:42 am
Wonderful true stories. I'm going to type up "the waves roll in, the waves roll out" in a nice font and put it over my desk at work.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 11:03 am
Thanks for the stories, Roberta! Tell more! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 01:23 pm
Roboida

Laughing Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 01:26 pm
Laugh, I thought I'd cry...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 06:54 pm
No, I wasn't off sulking. We had a little glitch with the electricity in my neck of the woods. And 26 hours later, my lights are on.

Cav, I had got better phone call techniques than that. When my mother was at the beginning stages of Alzheimer's and complained that I didn't call for a while, I would tell her I called but she forgot. Ain't I terrible?

You're welcome, Deb.

BigDice, I never lived that down.

D'art, I do love my mother very much. But I didn't let her be around my bosses. She would just show up. Sometimes the bosses were there, and sometimes they weren't. My mother was a force of nature--like a hurricane, unstoppable.

Osso, Glad you like the ocean story. I thought she was strange for wanting to face the street, and I'm sure she thought I was strange for wanting to face that boring ocean.

Mac, That's about all the stories I can remember that are in the humorous vein.

Thanks, Margo.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 06:59 pm
Just a wee little glitch.

Glad you're OK!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 07:02 pm
Qvetch some more, Boida! Qvetch some more!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:09 pm
Go ahead, kvetch about the last day...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:16 pm
Glad to hear the power's on, Boida. Was it awful?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 10:33 pm
Okay, I'm kvetching. It was pretty awful. I was home when it happened. A good thing. I couldn't have walked up the 8 flights to my apt. I remembered from the blackout in 1977 that many high-rises didn't have water, so I filled the tub and pots and bottles. I may have been the only person in my building who could flush. But the heat was horrible. The lack of air circulation was horrible. The feeling of being trapped was horrible. The feeling of helplessness was horrible. Otherwise, it wasn't so bad.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:09 pm
This is ridiculous already. Your elevator is okay now?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hebonics
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:00:30