p.4 of WHO POSTED THIS?

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:45 pm
Maybe so, maybe so.... THE CORRECT ANSWER IS BOGOWO.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 5 of ten:

1st
Quote:
Different artists have different agendas - some aim to make a statement/tell a story and have no interest in creating beauty. Some do both.

My work is largely about beauty - colour, light, seasons, time...

A friend's work is about people, personality, hidden depths - she brings out hidden characteristics in her portraits. She works from old photographs and film stills - if you look up Mary Byrne on the net you will see her work - it isn't primarily about beauty though. Mary is also a writer and her work has a story to it.

I on the other hand am an 'eye' most of the time, translating what i see into marks and colours that will show the wind, the cold/warmth whatever.

I think it was Cezanne who said of Monet that he was 'only an eye .... but what an eye'. I might be wrong it might have been someone else, can't remember for sure.

But if I have other issues i want to work on, then my work has a story behind it - i did a series of work on my boredom with a routine job, involving quotes from poetry and an underlying storyline.

Another friend, Ruth Sumner, is going along a more conceptual track, about how the paint is layered and playing with space - what is behind/in front of what? She too is on the Axis database.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
2nd
Quote:
Oh yes! i too love to read books that way -trouble is reality arrives with husband/family who want dinner - dinner???? oops!

Have you read any of Dorothy Dunnett's books? They are superby - The Lymnond series - set in England/Scotland/France/Mediterranean, Arab countries/Russia in the time when Mary Queen of Scots was a child.

Her writing ability, incredibly complex plot, characters, knowledge of morals, manners, politics of the age are wonderful - it all unrolls in front of your eyes and you are there.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:30 pm
Guessing:

Sofia, because she both reads and paints.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:26 pm
Vivien?
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 06:51 am
Yes sozobe- you are right, I read this post by vivien this morning.
You' re faster than me, girl! Very Happy
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:30 am
VIVIEN IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 6 of ten:

Quote:
Â…could you elaborate on what you mean by our "true nature," where you think it comes from, whether some people are evil by nature or if not, why they choose to act against their nature?

Certainly people invent causes for things that they do not understand (storms caused by angry gods, illness due to possession by demons, health brought about by prayer or wearing an amulet) but it seems that there ARE actually causes for these things.

I don’t mean that everything is inevitable or that we live in a clockwork universe, but that events are the result of a particular set of conditions. If you put your hand on a hot stove you will suffer a painful burn. An accident may be the result of driving too fast on an icy road, driver error, or some chance set of events that put you in the path of a runaway truck. Maybe it was your fate to have that accident, and nothing you did could have changed it. I prefer to think that we can have some control over our lives by learning what effects certain actions will have, and choosing to do whatever is most likely to produce the results desired (hopefully we desire the greatest good for all, rather than just
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:52 pm
2nd
Quote:
Science education in this country is certainly inadequate if people have to be warned that coffee made from boiling water is hot enough to burn them.

It seems that they also need to be warned that liquids can spill, sharp edges can cut, gasoline can ignite, plastic bags can suffocate, loud music can deafen, looking at the sun through binoculars can blind, cords can strangle, electricity can shock and guns can kill.

I think that elementary kids need hands-on experiments with ordinary things to learn basic science. Reading textbooks and learning equations is not sufficient for most kids. They need to learn how to critically observe the world and apply the scientific method to understand how and why it works. They need to know what a theory is, how it is validated and what to do when new data does not fit. They need to be able to distinguish factual theories from pseudoscience.

But critical thinking skills would put a lot of snake oil companies - and lawyers - out of business.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:11 pm
dagnit, I read both of those posts as the were added to the thread, but can't think of who wrote them.

Tartarin?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:13 pm
Me. too. 'K - but who? (where have we both been?)

D'Artagnan?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:15 pm
Sorta reads like Timber...
Timberlandko.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:20 pm
I think it was Terry...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 11:46 am
TERRY IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 7 of ten:

1st
Quote:
Reading through this "politics forum" is troubling and confusing. Often, I feel the people who call themselves 'conservative' should be called the "Defensive" party. Many times when someone, (in WHATEVER political party) has something critical to say about the present administration and it's people, they jump to defend, and make cracks about why they would not be a "democrat" "liberal" "ignoramus" and "etc. etc." Such 'chip on the shoulder' 'snot in the air' snobbery, is- IMO, the worst thing this country has to endure. And that says a LOT, for we endure many things.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 05:19 pm
2nd
Quote:
Eventually, his "tit for tat" methods will cause the nation to rise up in indignation, the same as they did when they heard of the Nixon "hate lists".

Bush is alienating whole countries, not just individuals. I think the people will SEE it before the vote in 2004... that the USA will not rise to it's International status of 'the best', until we have a 'regime' change.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 06:55 pm
3rd
Quote:
Why not talk about the SURE things? I have not been here as long as some of you, but I have seen a few totally like stone corpses, including some relatives of mine. I am SURE we are all going. The WHERE is "assured" in some people's minds- so they testify, but the WHERE is doubted by the largest majority. Most just say, I don't know. Then they tell what they would LIKE to happen to their 'thoughts and ideas' after their body has decomposed. If that does not work any better than my 'wishing in one hand and shelling peas in the other' to see which gets full first-- I would say we waste our time 'wishin'.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 03:07 am
4th I feel really quite cheerful this morning-
So a smile, my face, is adorning.
I ate some GREAT food, and I'm in a great mood.
Come along - it's a great day 'aborning!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:03 am
sofia?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:38 am
Clue:
Quote:
One number stands for the letter under it. Bust the code and you have the word. One letter hint! Word can be found in a2K, maybe a lot.

10--5--8--18--15--20--1

_--_--_--_--_--_--_--L
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:40 am
Verbal Lee (I solved that! Very Happy)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:17 pm
VERBAL LEE IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 8 of ten:

1st
Quote:
I was sitting in my gyn's office recently and posted on the wall were 2 explicit posters of male and female genetalia - inside and out - and my thought was thank God for raging hormones or this would be a no go.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:29 pm
Hilarious post, but I have no idea who wrote it.
0 Replies