Teacher Clothing

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:05 pm
For 25 bucks, I'd just wash it by hand...... seems to work ok. I think I'm going to get that. I have black-topped espradrilles (spelling is off) to go with it.

10 minutes later - or maybe I won't be buying it. Seems to be a glitchy website, which is bothersome.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:29 pm
hmmm I think I'll order all of those $10 pants. Love 'em.

With the Canajun dollar at par, it is REALLY tempting.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:41 pm
littlek wrote:
Chai - An older worker at the school commented on my skirt the other day. Nice skirt - building your wardrobe? It was meant as a compliment, but I hadn't thought anyone had noticed how few pieces of clothing I have to wear to work. I found an awesome skirt at Talbots of all places! Do you really think they REALLY mean dry-clean?

http://www1.talbots.com/images/colorized/72077415_5019.jpg ($25.00)

what's the material? i don't believe in dry cleaning. i wash everything that says dry clean only. so far so good. i think it's like an expiration date on food - just to cover their asses, a suggestion. i say bah, it looks safe enough to wash, definitely by hand (i'd even throw it in a washer).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
That skirt's linen.

(I'd dry-clean it simply because I hate ironing so much, but in this case I'd also check on the lining as it's a bias cut)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:55 pm
oh, linen is fiiiiine. i wash everything linen.

what's silly goose 201?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:17 pm
It doesn't mention a lining....... I usually cut out the linings anyway. maybe I should stop doing that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:28 pm
Accessorizing is always good too. Scarves or necklaces let a simple t-shirt look quite different every time.

For your brown pants you can buy a cheap animal print scarf and use it
as a belt, wear a brown t-shirt with it and big gold costume jewelry - Target has them cheap too.

Or with your black pants, you can wear a black top and accessorize with
bold silver jewelry.

Just use your current wardrobe and accessorize with different materials
and different colors, and it will look new every time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:33 pm
littlek wrote:
Do you really think they REALLY mean dry-clean?

http://www1.talbots.com/images/colorized/72077415_5019.jpg ($25.00)

Read me the lables and I'll tell you. It looks from the structure as if that would be the case
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:55 am
Pockets! Yes!

Dunno how much chalk you use. When I taught about a million years ago I found myself wearing a lot more lighter neutrals because black would pick up every speck of chalk dust.

It's going to get too cold for these soon, but when the weather gets warm again, is it possible to wear capri pants? The kind that go to your high ankle/shin, as opposed to just below the knee. I've found just having a few inches less fabric has made a huge difference in terms of how hot I was over the summer. Should be sales on that now, too.

I like both tops you showed earlier, and that's a great skirt. One suggestion is a few good basic skirts and pants, that go with a lot of things, then mainly concentrate on tops and accessories. Black pants and skirt, grey pants and skirt, tan pants and skirt, okay, you've got enough for any given week with an extra for laundry, so then start working on tops. Navy is another good neutral but every company seems to have its own idea of navy, which technically is supposed to be close to black. Every company also has its own idea of tan and grey, too. Tan can be light and lineny or it can be almost khaki, and grey can have elements of pink or blue in it. Grey is supposed to be hot this year.

With your complexion and hair and eye colors I'd go with a Spring's color palette. http://www.thesoko.com/thesoko/article742.html You might be able to get away with some Autumn and Summer colors, too, but Winter (start whites and blacks, clear reds with no hint of orange, and a lot of plums) might be a little much. Here's another link: http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/Spring-Color-And-Skin-Tone.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:23 am
cj and jespah are right.

It doesn't matter if your basic colors are just a few, you can always dress it up.

A leopard print scarf would be great with anything brown, or tan or black.

Aside, for some reason, I can never get into navy....just never looks exactly right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:36 am
littlek wrote:
Osso, I like JJill, but it's expensive. Also Boden.

I agree, but they have great SALES.

Originally $78, for $39:

http://www.bodenusa.com/backupimages/productHome/07ASUM_WL365_M01.jpg

(I wore a lot of jackets when I was a teacher. Good to have to layer over basics.)

Originally $108, for $32:

http://www.bodenusa.com/backupimages/productHome/07ASUM_WG250_M01.jpg

(I have this one! In chestnut.)

Originally $84, for $25:

http://www.bodenusa.com/backupimages/productHome/07ASPR_WA159_AME.jpg

(Maybe too sheer, but still, silk and pretty for $25!)

I won't do similar for j.jill, but I've found crazy deals there. (One of my favorite long silk skirts was originally $100+ and I bought it for $9.99.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:38 am
(By the way that's not supposed to be an outfit, just a random selection of stuff that WAS expensive but is now a lot cheaper.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:27 am
This may seem a little odd but Cabela's Bargain Cave has a lot of women's clothing and much of it is name brands (i.e. Columbia, Sportif, Redington, etc..) for under $20.

The pics they normally put on their main pages are usally the more conservative colors so click on the images and look at all of the color options for each. Wink

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/91/37/95/i913795sn02.jpg

Juneberry? Spring Rain? Are those really colors? Laughing

Woolrich also has an on-line clearance center (they call it "The Back Room") where you can buy their stuff at 60%-70% off.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:59 am
Funny I was going to suggest Talbots and if you live near Hingham there is an outlet store (a real outlet store).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:05 pm
Thanks all! Hingham isn't too far away.......

I'm sorry, too tired to respond individually. I'll check out fishin's link......
0 Replies

mmm8880

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:31 pm
ATTN: LITTLEtk
you posted a few weeks ago about your grandfathers sister marrying a santini, one of the 7 brothers... my great grandfather is one of them? which brother did she marry. My Great grandfather was Pietro and his wife was Rosalinda.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:02 pm
mmm8880 - Hi! Welcome to able2know. We're family - sort of. My great aunt married the son of one of the Santini brothers. If I wrote otherwise, I mis-typed. I believe that my great great uncle was the youngest, I need to verify that. My great uncle is Augusto and his wife was Rita. They would be your great grandfather's nephew and niece. Augie is still alive (I adore that old man), but Rita and their adopted son, John, have been dead for several years.

Rosalinda sounds familiar.
0 Replies

mmm8880

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:25 pm
WOW
Uncle augie is my grandmothers brother! he is still alive, rita however, passed away in 98. holy cow, I didn't think we would be that closely related. That is insane. I also adore him. Wow I can't PM yet, but my email is EMAIL REMOVED BY MODERATOR
email me so we can talk somemore!

Michelle
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:27 pm
that's quite a turn of events! Smile world is small.
0 Replies

mmm8880

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:28 pm
and yes we are not really related, but we share an aunt/uncle.
0 Replies