[answered]a2k access problem

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 11:56 am
Lately I've been having a lot of difficulty accessing a2k and also posting responses. I succeed perhaps once in 8 or 10 tries. This applies whether I click on the link in an email notice, try using the URL directly, or going through my Favorite>Reference link.

This has resulted (as jespah knows) in multiple posting since sometimes I have succeeded, but didn't know it. Mostly, the connection simply isn't made.

I've also had trouble going from a posting to Comments.

Is it me or a2k - I haven't had this problem with any other site. Confused Confused Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 869 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
Hi tomkitten,

I'd say it's most likely the temporary, er, "technical difficulties" this site is currently undergoing. Among a number of other issues, guest traffic has recently surged and Craven will be getting a new server soon to handle the increased workload. (tis all according to other posts I've read here recently.)

As a general rule never click 'submit' more than once no matter what. If you think it hasn't gone through, click the 'copy post to clipboard' button then try to access the thread your post should be on and it'll almost always be there. If you can actually get the page to load & your post isn't there try the 'post reply' page again and paste your text from the clipboard. Or try visiting the site later.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 01:28 pm
Thanks, Monger, you make me feel better. It's nice to know that a2k is so popular, but how Craven manages to keep up I truly can't imagine!

And I promise to keep my grubby little fingers off the Submit button once I've tried to send a response.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
Monger has it. The load on the server has been crushing. I have stripped code and even server functions to the bone and it is still overwhelming.

I believe that in about one month we will move to a two server / 4 processor setup that will have over 4 times the power of this one.

I'd move it sooner but time, money and a whole lot of things must come together and I need to write some complicated code to allow me to separate the database from the web server.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 03:34 pm
Is there a way to lessen the guest traffic in the meantime? I'm afraid we'll lose some membership due to the access problems and frustrations it causes.

Also, it is rather obvious that not many people have read any of the many posts about these problems. Is it possible to put a temporary news blurb in the header that they might stumble across and read? That might help cut back on your frustration of having to repeat the answers to the question.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
Monger wrote:
As a general rule never click 'submit' more than once no matter what. If you think it hasn't gone through, click the 'copy post to clipboard' button then try to access the thread your post should be on and it'll almost always be there. If you can actually get the page to load & your post isn't there try the 'post reply' page again and paste your text from the clipboard. Or try visiting the site later.

Required assimilation for those who of who are clicking 'submit' more than once.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 06:44 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Is there a way to lessen the guest traffic in the meantime? I'm afraid we'll lose some membership due to the access problems and frustrations it causes.

Also, it is rather obvious that not many people have read any of the many posts about these problems. Is it possible to put a temporary news blurb in the header that they might stumble across and read? That might help cut back on your frustration of having to repeat the answers to the question.

It's a catch 22. The move to the new server will cost about 1500 bucks and between 500 to 600 bucks a month afterwards, and as my company is new I have been having half my salary deferred. So The cost will have to be paid for by the advertising, and the advertising is supported by robots spidering the pages and serving relevant ads.

So to use any of those sugegstions would probably make the cost have to come entirely out of my salary. And thatwould not be viable.

One other solution is to rush A2K 2.0 because it will lighten the server load and I plan to pull a couple of all-nighters and have that rushed out early. Hopefully that will make things more tolerable until I can purchase server parts and move to a new datacenter.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 07:01 pm
How about a temporary default splash page that all members land on no matter how they arrive at A2K that gives a "State of the Site" news update and then 15 seconds later forwards them to whatever page they usually arrive at.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 07:05 pm
That would muck up the robots and kill site revenue. I am trying to find a way to make the move sometime after the 15th to make it coincide with my second pay period but either way I will be releasing A2K 2.0 shortly and that will help a wee bit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
hmmmm, i just saw this. i didn't know this was a general problem people were having. thought it was just something goofy betwen my puter and this site.

is there any 'easy' way to let people know? i'd hate to think we're losing any of the less determined members because of this.
0 Replies