[answered] technical problem

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:42 am
Hi Webmaster

There is something wrong with the Bold, Italicize and Underline functions.

Could something be done to rectify the problem?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 735 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:47 am
I think it was a transitory problem, when this site moved from .com to .org
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:51 am
Francis wrote:
I think it was a transitory problem, when this site moved from .com to .org

I hope it is over soon.

Thanks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:35 am
They all work, and here's how:

Underline
Bold
Italic

Code:[U]Underline[/U]
[B]Bold[/B]
[I]Italic[/I]
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:41 am
jespah , the site may have a technical problem with post 2866285
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:25 am
jespah wrote:
They all work, and here's how:

Underline
Bold
Italic

Code:[U]Underline[/U]
[B]Bold[/B]
[I]Italic[/I]

It is not working on my side. I do the same things as you. In the past, ok, but recently something went haywire.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:40 am
Make sure to NOT check "disable BBCode in the post" when you are posting.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:47 am
jespah wrote:
Make sure to NOT check "disable BBCode in the post" when you are posting.

No, I didn't check "disable BBCode in this post" and yet I cannot Bold, Italicise or Underline.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:16 am
Try typing in the code yourself.

Better yet, copy this: ---> italics <--- (make sure to include the brackets and everything) and post it and see what you get.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:20 am
seem to work ok for me
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:21 am
jespah wrote:
Try typing in the code yourself.

Better yet, copy this: ---> italics <--- (make sure to include the brackets and everything) and post it and see what you get.

I believe it should work. If so, this is doing it manually. Is it a short-term measure?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:07 am
No, it's not. No one else is having this problem, at least not that I am aware of.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:25 am
I don't understand either. I didn't have this problem before.

[/B]

When I highlighted the whole sentence and clip on B (Bold), I get [/B] as can be seen above.

I wonder what's happening.

Anyway, if others are not having this problem, I think I will do it manually.

Regards
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:32 am
Don't highlight the text. Just click the B button in the reply window, you'll get this... then start typing and click the B* button and you'll get this ...

alternatively, you can use your keyboard and literally type then add your message ending with

If you take my post and hit the quote button, you will see the bolding keystrokes in the window.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:48 am
Dear JPB

Thanks for your advice.

I've done what you told me and it is fine as you can see above.

However, in the past I highlighted the text and clicked the B button and it was fine. Even for other programmes and using Words, I do the same and it is okay.

I don't understand why your way works when in the past my usual way could work.

Anyway, a big thank you to you.

Regards.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:20 am
2 things.

1) There is an issue with the coding of the site. I was able to recreate what I suspect was your error and now it's being worked on and
2) One other issue is that the site has, a few times now, asked me for permission to run scripted windows, in order to post an image or use other tags. When this happens, you'll see a horizontal bar at the top of the page, click that to temporarily allow scripted windows. It will specifically say this if this is the error, so watch for that if you continue to have this problem.

A few things I want to point out about errors and problems on this and any other site, and not just to you:
  • Transient errors are the hardest to fix. If it can't be duplicated, chalk it up to your system or operator error. That is not alwaysa right, of course, but chasing transient errors is very hard, particularly for a small support team.
  • If you can show the error, that's the easiest thing for the support team. That is, take a screen print and post it. If there's an error message, copy it word for word.
  • Be as specific as possible. The site no longer works for me! is pretty useless to support. I get a popup every time I go to New Topics is much, much more useful.
  • Try to add as much helpful information as possible. That is, do you have a Mac or a PC? Are you running Internet Explorer, Firefox or some other browser? Did you recently download anything?
  • Help yourself as much as you can. E. g. if it looks like spyware or a virus, update your virus protection and run scans and fixes as you see them, because you're just going to be asked to do that, anyway.
  • Be patient. Support can sometimes take a while, as things that are invisible to you may need to be fixed before your problem can be tackled. Courtesy goes a long way.
  • Don't assume we know about a problem, but do hunt for mentionings of whatever you're seeing. If you're seeing something that others are, post that as a reply to their topic as opposed to opening up a new topic. That way we can tell if an issue is localized or widespread.
  • Don't assume a problem is going to remain that way forever. It probably won't, so occasionally try to do whatever it was that you were trying to do when you first saw the issue. This is also helpful to us, e. g. if you tried to post a photo and have gotten errors for the past three days' worth of trying. And, finally,
  • Don't add extraneous chatter to the help topics!!! It's hard enough to figure out what's wrong without users going on and on about their vacations and the like. There are about a million places on this site to gab. So please leave the help topics alone and don't share your opinions on world affairs on them so that support can do their jobs as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:47 am
Thanks for your explanation.
0 Replies