Should Christians update Christianity -- or abandon it?

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 01:36 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

In any case: CerealKiller, question:

Why do you limit the Christian stuff to what is in the New Testament. None of the New Testament makes any sense at all -- if the Old Testament has any faults. Right?

Not exactly clear on what you're asking me, however my view was as stated based upon what Jesus himself taught and instructed so as to avoid being hypocritical about what I see as a great code of ethics/morals/behavior/thinking, etc. He emphasized the "do's" not the "do nots" (like more judgmental/Old Testament theological interpretations).

Actually living up to such high standards is impossible, but the idea is to try, being mindful that we are "all sinners" in religious terms, or that we are none of capable of perfection in secular terms. I think some adherents and dogmas within Christianity, and all religions for that matter can be the epitomy of hypocrisy.

Regarding reform in the Roman Catholic Church. It would seem to me that the following need to occur:

1) Priests must be allowed to marry.
2) Women priests must be allowed.
3) Artificial birth control, excluding abortion, should be permissible.

The above doctrines have little to no solid foundation in scripture. They are essentially Church dogma and nothing else, in my view, and many others within the Church itself.

As far as homosexuality is concerned, again, there are references in the Old Testament and by Saul of Tarsus, or Paul, and Timothy, however, Jesus himself made no reference and there are none within the books of Matthew, Mark or Luke. Conservative thought is that it is all the word of God, however, Jesus himself nullified all of the Old Testament except for the Ten Commandments. Others commented subsequently, but I think it is crystal clear that Jesus' message was one of tolerance and respect for human dignity.

I don't find that prohibition well supported from a theological standpoint either and thus, all Christians should be mindful of that and reform accordingly, including the Roman Catholic Church.

Until the current Pope leaves this life, none of it will occur.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 01:42 pm
CerealKiller wrote:

Jesus himself nullified all of the Old Testament except for the Ten Commandments.

Can you please give me the exact scripture on that?
Thank You!
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:52 pm
husker wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:

Jesus himself nullified all of the Old Testament except for the Ten Commandments.

Can you please give me the exact scripture on that?
Thank You!

In the New Testament, the book of Hebrews has a great deal to say about this New Covenant.

"The emphasis is on Jesus, the perfect High Priest, providing a new, better, superior covenant (Heb. 7:22; 8:6). Jesus represented the fulfillment of Jeremiah's new covenant promise (Heb. 8:8, 10; 10:16). Jesus was the perfect covenant Mediator (Heb. 9:15), providing an eternal inheritance in a way the old covenant could not (compare 12:24). Jesus' death on the cross satisfied the requirement that all covenants be established by blood (Heb. 9:18, 20) just as was the first covenant (Ex. 24:8). Christ's blood established an everlasting covenant (Heb. 13:20).

Also look at Galatians 3:15-25 describing the Law (five books OT) and its purpose( as a tutor leading to Christ) and stating we are no longer under a tutor (OT).
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 01:50 am
timberlandko wrote:

I think if you look at what The Bible actually says Christ said and did its pretty straightforward, and a reasonable philosophy. Where the trouble comes in is what The Bible says ABOUT what it says Christ said and did.

Can you explain this to me in a different way. I'm not sure what you mean.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:01 am
CerealKiller

Thanks forl your response. I like the way you make your arguments and the thought you put into your posts.

I disagree with a few things -- or have questions on it:

CerealKiller wrote:
[. Conservative thought is that it is all the word of God, however, Jesus himself nullified all of the Old Testament except for the Ten Commandments. Others commented subsequently, but I think it is crystal clear that Jesus' message was one of tolerance and respect for human dignity.

Where do you get this idea from? Husker and Timber both see the problem here.

Here is what Jesus actually had to say on this:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE." Matthew 5: 17

"The Law" includes a great deal more than just the 10 Commandments; it includes everything written in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. No part of anything written in the Torah was nullified by Jesus.

By the way, when you were asked to provide scripture of Jesus nullifying the entire of the Old Testament, you provided quotes from Paul. Why do Christians so often quote Paul rather than Jesus on stuff like that?

Quote:
Actually living up to such high standards is impossible, but the idea is to try, being mindful that we are "all sinners" in religious terms, or that we are none of capable of perfection in secular terms. I think some adherents and dogmas within Christianity, and all religions for that matter can be the epitomy of hypocrisy.

As I've mentioned in the past, the "we are all sinners" bit is one of the most annoying Christian mantras -- and while I admire your including a secular component here, I still find it wanting. No secularist has expectations of becoming perfect -- and there is no one who will fault a secularist because he/she has not attained perfection.

But your god apparently considers being less than perfect to be offensive. A sin, after all, is something that offends your god. Why would your god -- who is the manufacturer of record for your folks -- be bothered by any human being less than perfect?

Quote:
As far as homosexuality is concerned, again, there are references in the Old Testament and by Saul of Tarsus, or Paul, and Timothy, however, Jesus himself made no reference and there are none within the books of Matthew, Mark or Luke.

But the god of the Bible certainly had plenty to say about it -- and as far as the god of the Bible is concerned, homosexual conduct is an abomination for which the god decrees the punishment of death. It cannot get more clear!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:46 am
The only real way to update Christianity would be to remove Jesus and the Old Testament from the equation and acknowledge the advances of science.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:54 am
What I'm saying there, CerealKiller, is the quotes and biographical data pertaining to Christ aren;t all that bad. Its the commentary and interpolation that makes up the rest of the New Testament that confuses things. In fact, if any one person could be said to be the founder of Chritianity, I think that would have to be Paul.
0 Replies