Peruvian Meteorite Landing Sickens Hundreds

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:36 pm
A meteorite in Peru left a roughly 20 foot by 100 foot crater in a remote area. Upwards of 600 people have been sickened by the gases being emitted and one bull has died. A team of scientists has been dispatched to investigate, and already a nuclear engineer checked for radiation (there was none).

BBC

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44124000/jpg/_44124589_crater_afp203in.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:51 pm
Not more mammoth dung!!

Not to make light. (where're the matches?)

Sorry, wonder what is going on if that is sickening people..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:52 pm
Thank goodness it didn't land in some place like Mexico City, or New York.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:52 pm
They think some sort of gas - from the meteor or from the incendiary impact with the soil where it landed. (like I know what I'm talking about!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 09:53 pm
It's like the H.G. Wells story in reverse. Instead of the alien invaders being sickened by Earth microbes, they bring their own bugs.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:10 am
great, the space monsters have wmd's, let's liberate peru...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:33 am
Heard a scientist on the radio today talking about it. His supposition was that it was more likely being caused (sickness) by gases released from rotting matter at the bottom of the pond disturbed by the impact.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:53 am
Rather logical assumption...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:59 am
I wonder how long it will be before the local rabble rousers decide to blame the government of Peru and its devil-spawned gringo allies in Washington?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 06:12 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Why do these things always land in some remote area rather than like you said...a large city? (Not that I want it to land in a large city!)
I understand that there are far more wide open remote places in the world than there are over-populated cities, but you'd think the law of averages would have at least one land in downtown somewhereville.

And why do all those weird stories in the supermarket tabloids always take place on some mountaintop in Brazil?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:57 pm
happycat wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Why do these things always land in some remote area rather than like you said...a large city? (Not that I want it to land in a large city!)
I understand that there are far more wide open remote places in the world than there are over-populated cities, but you'd think the law of averages would have at least one land in downtown somewhereville.

And why do all those weird stories in the supermarket tabloids always take place on some mountaintop in Brazil?

There's more open space than city.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:24 pm
Why do aliens only abduct country people? Fewer witnesses, I guess.

And country folk are further away from the CIA brainwave transmitters that interfere with your ability to see unexpected things.

Like being far away from cell phone towers.

Matter fact, maybe cell phone towers are transmitting the signal.

My house is in a cell-phone-signal shadow.

I wonder if anything's going to happen.

I'd better put on my tinfoil hat so that any residual signal doesn't dull my sensibilities...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:44 pm
From today's The Guardian
Quote:
Meteorites, 'plagues' and bad omens

Patrick Barkham The Guardian Thursday September 20 2007

A sleepy fishing community in rural Australia is struck by a shower of meteorites. Those hit succumb to a terrible infection: they are turned into zombies and feast on human flesh.

The townsfolk of Carancas in Peru would be advised not to watch the horror film Undead, after witnessing a fiery ball in the sky at the weekend. More than 150 residents have suffered headaches, irritated skin and vomiting brought on by a "strange odour", according to a local health official.

Tales of "toxic" fumes rising from a crater sound scary but as Nester Quispe, the local mayor, said: "There's a certain psychological fear in the community." Experts believe the irritation could be caused by gas or dust and there is still uncertainty over whether it was a meteorite - the "crater" could be just a toxic lake.

What about zombie disease? And is it a Sign? For centuries, meteorites have been seen as gifts from angels or portents of doom. In the Bible, Joshua wrote of how "the Lord cast down great stones from heaven" while Revelation recorded a falling star that poisoned the waters: "Many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter."

Reports of sickness are rare, although many of the estimated 1,050 sightings of falling meteorites to date have sparked superstition. The Peru event has triggered internet speculation that it could be a fallen satellite (as in the Michael Crichton thriller The Andromeda Strain) or, of course, aliens. In 1492 a meteorite is said to have caused a war: Maximilian, Emperor of Austria, was convinced that a meteor fall in Ensisheim, Rhineland, was a favourable omen to confront the French.

More mysterious than the Peruvian "meteorite" is the 1908 Tunguska event, a blast over Siberia 1,000 times more powerful than an atomic bomb, probably caused by a meteoroid exploding above Earth. Millions of trees were felled, locals took to the streets in panic and there were reports of a "plague", now thought to be unconnected to the blast.

In Peru, the crater and its sickness will soon be verified by scientists. Just don't expect a denouement like the one in Undead.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:47 pm
So, seriously, isn't this just geological gas that's been released? Like the natural gas vents in Turkey or the crack in the rocks at Delphi that always has carbon monoxide and other funky gases wafting out of it?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:51 pm
patiodog wrote:
So, seriously, isn't this just geological gas that's been released? Like the natural gas vents in Turkey or the crack in the rocks at Delphi that always has carbon monoxide and other funky gases wafting out of it?

Let me taste your flesh then I will tell you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:01 pm
Man, how long could zombies proliferate in the Australian outback before anybody noticed.

Wait, is that who managed to foist Russell Crow on the world? IS HE A ZOMBIE?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:26 pm
patiodog wrote:
Man, how long could zombies proliferate in the Australian outback before anybody noticed.

A very long time if the Aust governments reaction to other outback problems is any indication.

Look at dlowan. Zombieish? definitly, and living in the cultural desert of Adelaide.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:32 pm
So, is everyone in Adelaide a zombie?

Or is there just a large enclave there that can pass in semi-regular society?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:35 pm
patiodog wrote:
So, is everyone in Adelaide a zombie?

Or is there just a large enclave there that can pass in semi-regular society?

At this time of year (football finals) and with Port Power in the finals a very large percentage of the population is definitly afflicted.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:37 pm
Wait, here's one of 'em.

http://www.myspace.com/adelaidezombiewalk

Not a very good disguise. He's obviously a zombie.
0 Replies