Cryptic 112

Dutchy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
Hi Bernard

I've come up with the following with the help of some friends.

gap for gaza strip, but gsp was also suggested.

ban for your second question, and

sugar for your last question

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:20 pm
Hello bernard parkes, welcome aboard!

Thought you might like to see the discussion which took place over your question, and this will save you having to scroll back looking for it.
Lou57 wrote:
32 A. Gaza strip seen from outer space. (3) g_p
72 A. Bring us back a fish, honey.(5) s_o_r

Dutchy wrote:
I'm still battling with the cryptic, but here are my answers sofar, perhaps someone will verify. Smile

32a = gap
72a = sugar

tuesday wrote:
I have the same answers as you Dutchy for 32a and 72a but they are only hopeful answers so far. What do you have for 56a Walk off with outlaw- backwards! I have n?b. Could it be nab? These 3 letter clues can be a big headache sometimes.

Dutchy wrote:
At the moment I have "ben", was thinking of outlaw Ben Hall?

lezzles wrote:
I tossed up between GAP and GSP for Gaza Strip seen from outer space. I finally settled on GSP for Global Satellite Positioning (the outer space bit) and also when taken from the 'outer' extremes of the phrase you get G and P with S in the centre. I am willing to be convinced that this is incorrect if someone can come up with a good reason for GAP.

No trouble with SUGAR - US backwards = SU + GAR (fish)

I have NAB for 56a. To outlaw something is to ban it. Backwards this is NAB. I found three meanings for 'nab': 1. to arrest or capture; 2. to catch or seize, especially suddenly; and 3. to snatch or steal. I thought to 'walk off with' fitted No.3

farkha wrote:
Just a thought.
1. Strip is also a divider viz median strip, hence more likely Gap
2. Nab backwards Ban - expel, blacklist, debar, exclude, ostracize, oust, reject. I am partial to NAB, however will await the ruling of the experts.

Hope that helps you a bit.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:28 pm
Whoa Neddy! I have just discovered this on Google, which could be the answer we are looking for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proclamation 6778 On this page: Select Article Wikisource Wikisource - Or search: - The Web - Images - News - Blogs - Shopping
Wikisource Home > Library > Arts > Wikisource sources Proclamation 6778

Proclamation 6778
Bill Clinton's Presidential Proclamations Proclamation 6778
by Bill Clinton
Delivered on 17 March 1995.

By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

1. Pursuant to sections 501 and 502 of the Trade Act of 1974, as amended ("Trade Act") (19 U.S.C. 2461 and 2462), and having due regard for the eligibility criteria set forth therein, I have determined that it is appropriate to designate the West Bank and Gaza Strip as a beneficiary of the Generalized System of Preferences ("GSP").

2. Section 604 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2483) authorizes the President to embody in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States ("HTS") the substance of the provisions of that Act, and of other acts affecting import treatment, and actions thereunder.

Now, Therefore, I, William J. Clinton, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including but not limited to sections 501 and 604 of the Trade Act, do proclaim that:

(1) General note 4(a) to the HTS, listing those nonindependent territories whose products are eligible for benefits of the GSP, is modified by inserting "West Bank and Gaza Strip" in alphabetical order in the enumeration of nonindependent territories.

(2) Any provisions of previous proclamations and Executive orders inconsistent with the provisions of this proclamation are hereby superseded to the extent of such inconsistency.

(3) The extension of the Generalized System of Preferences program to the West Bank and Gaza Strip pursuant to this proclamation applies only to goods produced in the areas for which arrangements are being established for Palestinian Interim Self-Government, as set forth in Articles I, III, and IV of the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements.

(4) The modifications to the HTS made by paragraph (1) of this proclamation shall be effective with respect to articles that are: (i) imported on or after January 1, 1976, and (ii) entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after 15 days after the date of publication of this proclamation in the Federal Register.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this seventeenth day of March, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and nineteenth.

William J. Clinton

[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 4:40 p.m., March 21, 1995]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am sticking with GSP, folks.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:20 pm
Hi Lezzles

You've done rather well here, however I thought of something the other day. GSP is three letters right? Don't you think Christine would have put (1.1.1) behind the clue? Presently I have chosen "gap" because of this.

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:28 pm
Logically, yes, I agree, Dutchy; but CL has been known to forget little details like that from time to time.

I'm still open to a reason for choosing GAP. Somebody persuade me, please!!! Laughing
0 Replies

joevinwild

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 12:13 pm
thank you !!
you are all a great help! Very Happy
0 Replies

bernard parkes

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:07 pm
cryptic 112
thanks everyone for there help.I'm still not sure what to put though.I can't put sugar in 72 across on mine because iv'e got s?o?r.What has everybody got for 58 down that makes the g in sugar.I probably have the wrong answer for that clue,where an ongoing fee must be paid.Oh well,my poor brain has been worn out trying to come up with answers.Thanks again CP. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:15 pm
Hi Bernard

Try "tollgates" and you'll find 72a 'sugar' will fit.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 01:21 am
Hi All,
Generalized System of Preferences, or GSP, is a formal system of exemption from the more general rules of the World Trade Organization, WTO, (formerly, the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade or GATT). Specifically, it's a system of exemption from the Most Favored Nation principle, MFN, that obligates WTO member countries to treat the imports of all other WTO member countries no worse than they treat the imports of their "most favored" trading partner.
Regards
0 Replies

bernard parkes

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 01:46 am
thanx dutchy and everyone else who helped.i had tolbooths instead of tollgates (duh)Now to the holiday cryptic I would usually have finished it by now but the colossus held me back.At least i know where to get help if i need it.Thanx again,CP. Very Happy
0 Replies

anng

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:13 am
Hi everyone here,

regarding 20a 'keen to sound like whale' I was wondering how 'wail' fitted into it. I know it sounds like whale, but where does the 'keen' part of the clue fit in?

regards
anng
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:40 am
Hi Anng

I simply ignored 'keen', I was looking for a word which "sound" like whale, and wail to me fit that description. Others may have a different explanation. Smile
0 Replies

Crypticheadache

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 12:50 am
KEEN:
To lament the dead; a dirge or lament.

According to my dictionary. So I count WAIL as correct.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 01:00 am
Hi Crypticheadache

Well done!

Keen in my Encarta Concise English Dictionary is described as follows:
to cry out or WAIL in grief, especially while lamenting the dead;

Now you got the works Anng. Laughing
0 Replies

anng

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:35 am
Dear Crypticheadache & Dutchy.

Thank you!! I know that CL doesn't put obvious words in her clues and that the word 'keen' must have been involved.

I did some research on it but just didn't come up with lament or a dirge.

Thank you to both of you for your help.

kind regards
anng
0 Replies