Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:05 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 15
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 05:41 pm
The first Featured un-responded to thread I have seen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 05:51 pm
Oh, I meant to respond. Still thinking about it. Wondering if that is postentially a new, er, energy source. Probably not, rather too big a load.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:17 pm
Too big a load... Funny, Osso! Very Happy

So, the microbes that have been frozen all this time will re-activate and create methane. Are there microbes that are going to do more than that? Is there the potential for microbes we've never dealt with before that would be damaging outside of the methane such as causing illness, damaging crops, etc?

The warming / climate change is bad enough. I had just never thought about pre-historic microbes coming back to life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:46 pm
I missed this the first time around. I wonder how?

Is there really that much day-old-dung out there?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 07:37 pm
Quote:
this organic matter becomes exposed to the air it will accelerate global warming faster than even some of the most pessimistic forecasts.

"This will lead to a type of global warming which will be impossible to stop," he said.

so they are 'suggesting' that there is more of this dung, then in modern day dairy farms? Which.. have one of the highest 'fart ratings' (methane)

amazing.

And who is going to hover around said **** and measure its gas pressure ?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
Other research is showing large releases of methane in lakes in the Arctic.
NPR did a story last week on it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:23 pm
Right, Parados, as the lake thaw/warm, the water releases the gases.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:51 pm
I'm guessing it's not so much the dung as they other unfermented fermentable material, like dead nutrient-rich plant material (which is all herbivore dung really is) ------ like it's all a big slushy compost just waiting to happen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:53 pm
That's a good point.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 09:16 pm
Somewhere back about 4000 - 6000 years ago there was an age called hypsothermal or the late holocene climate optimum which was MUCH hotter than the present age and which roughly corresponds to the "golden ages" of classical literature and mythology. They called it a golden age instead of the age when everybody drowned because this was before the flood and there simply was not as much water oh the planet at the time. Clearly human kind had nothing to do with the age since humans had no such capacity then.

If such an age were to recur today the beachfront could be in WV or Kentucky somewhere; worst possible case, we may need to figure a way to get some of the water off the planet. That should become possible within the next few decades.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:18 am
That sounds plausible. Perhaps we could freeze it first and send it up in chunks.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
It would require control over gravity, which is coming.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:29 am
We could create a slurry of mammoth guano and water, ship it to Mars, and voila! Instant terraforming.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:07 am
Related story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070918/lf_nm/arctic_russia_mammoths_dc&printer=1;_ylt=Alg2TQMG4nQeG_NbzXEIJyxKTb8F
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:21 pm
Damn! Shocked
0 Replies