What kind of proof do you want?

Busma

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:20 pm
These are serious questions I'd like all of you to answer:

1. What kind of proof do you require in order for you to know there is a higher power if existence isnt enough and/or what other ppl claim to have witnessed to know isn't enough?

2. Would you only want a proof that could be shared with others so they wont think you're crazy? Or would you not be so picky and just want any kind of proof period so you could know there is a higher power?

3. Would that higher power have to be in line with what man made religion/beliefs says or not with you in order to be prooven as a higher power in the first place? (in other words, would you limit your perception of proof because of man?)

4. How do you feel about a communication to yourself from a higher power? Would that even be proof enough or would you just brush it off as if that only means you are crazy just because other ppl would call you that just for telling them that?

5. Are you the kind of person that would deny the existence of a higher power if you did infact have some sort of the proof? And why to your answer?

6. What would a voice come into your mind that made an intelligent seeming coherent sentence mean to you?

A) There is a higher power
B) There is a such thing as ghosts
C) There is a such thing as demons
D) There is a such thing as the devil
E) It's just your imagination gone astray
F) You are crazy
G) Other (explain???)

^^^Or would it depend on what was said and how it was said?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 665 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:08 pm
Busma, First of all, Welcome to A2K.

In answer to your post:
These are serious questions I'd like all of you to answer:

1. What kind of proof do you require in order for you to know there is a higher power if existence isnt enough and/or what other ppl claim to have witnessed to know isn't enough?

There are/is no "higher power." There is no proof that such a thing exists; no hard evidence exists.

2. Would you only want a proof that could be shared with others so they wont think you're crazy? Or would you not be so picky and just want any kind of proof period so you could know there is a higher power?

No; my life's beliefs are based on my reality - based on my biology and environment. "Proof" is in the eye of the beholder.

3. Would that higher power have to be in line with what man made religion/beliefs says or not with you in order to be proven as a higher power in the first place? (in other words, would you limit your perception of proof because of man?)

"Man made religion" is just that; ever since man developed into social beings, they created all manners of religion. Many religions were created to control the populations.

4. How do you feel about a communication to yourself from a higher power? Would that even be proof enough or would you just brush it off as if that only means you are crazy just because other ppl would call you that just for telling them that?

Man's brain does funny things including seeing people who do not exist; that can extend to belief in gods.

5. Are you the kind of person that would deny the existence of a higher power if you did infact have some sort of the proof? And why to your answer?

Talking about "proof" goes nowhere, because some people believe the bible is enough "proof."

6. What would a voice come into your mind that made an intelligent seeming coherent sentence mean to you?

I wouldn't call it a "voice," but I was thinking about something out of the ordinary. Some people do hear "voices."

A) There is a higher power
B) There is a such thing as ghosts
C) There is a such thing as demons
D) There is a such thing as the devil
E) It's just your imagination gone astray
F) You are crazy
G) Other (explain???)

^^^Or would it depend on what was said and how it was said?

G) Other: I do not believe in "supernatural" events or experiences. Many people can cause their minds to experience many things by taking mind-altering drugs or by meditation. I just don't find the need or necessity to experience those "events" in my life, because I find my reality full of wonder and challenge.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:12 pm
none.

i'm open to the possibilty of higher things, it used to strain my imagination and it doesn't anymore.

i don't think it's possible for god/etc. to prove his/her/its existance.

"hi, i'm god."

"whatever, hi god."
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:15 pm
I want my own angel like Holly Hunter has on Saving Grace.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:20 pm
happycat wrote:
I want my own angel like Holly Hunter

yeah, she's not bad Smile (j/k)
...a continuation of the above meeting:

"no, really, look! water... wine!"
"nicely done! *tip* l'chayim!"

one technical problem is that such a conversation would obliterate your corporeal body. so s/he'd have to send another guy/person.

"hi, i'm from god."
"whatever, hi 'from god.'"
0 Replies

averner

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:18 pm
uhh how does it matter if there is a higher power? if it matters because you are trying to get me into some religion, you better prove every single word of it
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 09:43 am
averner wrote:
uhh how does it matter if there is a higher power? if it matters because you are trying to get me into some religion, you better prove every single word of it

"Higher power" is a man-made term used to identify some invisible friend who's supposed to save you from being dead forever. Most people fear death.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:10 pm
The first higher power was lightening. Then fire became the higher power. Then electricity. Once electricity was harnessed, transistors became the higher power. Today HD tv is the current higher power. Beyond that there is no higher power in the religious sense. But, keep it a secret, since many people need religion to get through this life.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:24 am
since many people need religion to get through this life..

jesus, ive never heard it said like that. i mean i know religions are dumb but after reading that its almost sad.

why do people need religion? why cant we be happy just existing? IMO its because we are not free people, we are slaves to society and goverments whos only desire is to obtain as many resources as possible.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:56 am
OGIONIK wrote:
since many people need religion to get through this life..

jesus, ive never heard it said like that. i mean i know religions are dumb but after reading that its almost sad.

why do people need religion? why cant we be happy just existing? IMO its because we are not free people, we are slaves to society and goverments whos only desire is to obtain as many resources as possible.

The "evidence" is more than obvious. No matter how poor a country may be, most of their churches are architectural marvels. I remember seeing a church in India with a 'real gold dome.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:38 pm
1. Most 'evidence of God' is based on emotion. I'd sure like to see them christians try to prove God without resorting to emotions.

2. I'm not that obsessed with what other people think of me so any 'proof' would be for me alone.

4. Sounds more like mental disease than religion to me.

5. I have an open mind when it comes to these things but a completely different vantage point compared to you. My vantage point is nothing, yours is that God exists.

6. Speaking of coherent sentences... But seriously; I find it meaningless to speculate about just as I find it meaningless to speculate about how I would react if I woke up in an alien space shuttle being anally probed. I don't think it will happen and if it does I'll deal with it then and there.

F) You are crazy.
0 Replies