When me becomes I

coberst

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:36 am
When me becomes I

A child's symbolic action world is built from the outside in. We are sad because we cry;we are so often mere puppets jerked around by alien symbols and sounds. Perhaps this is why we are so often just blind ideologues (blindly partisan).

In order to separate the ego from the world it seems that the ego must have a rallying point. It must have a flag about which to rally. That flag is the "I".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 695 • Replies: 18
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:46 am
What an Anglocentric view - the pronoun corresponding to "I" is not capitalised in other languages. For example, "je" is not capitalised in French, nor "yo" in Spanish. In German, all nouns are capitalised!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 02:15 am
i looks silly written like that.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 03:05 am
McTag wrote:
i looks silly written like that.

Only because that's what we're used to. In "Chaque jour de la semaine Je mange du boeuf" "Je" looks silly.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 06:57 am
I think that the "I" is capitalized because "I" is the person, it is the Subject and not an object like the "me".
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:03 am
contrex wrote:
In "Chaque jour de la semaine Je mange du boeuf" "Je" looks silly.

Not only it looks silly but it is silly, Contrex. Can't you change your diet? :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:04 am
coberst wrote:
I think that the "I" is capitalized because "I" is the person, it is the Subject and not an object like the "me".

I would subject the subject in object to further analysis...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:02 am
Francis wrote:
contrex wrote:
In "Chaque jour de la semaine Je mange du boeuf" "Je" looks silly.

Not only it looks silly but it is silly, Contrex. Can't you change your diet? :wink:

It's hard - I'm in love with a blonde cashier at Flunch... I know she's called Sandrine because her name is on the ticket. All I can afford is the assiette Texane
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:07 am
That's the kind of thing I can understand, Contrex!

So, she caught your "eye" (I)?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:32 am
Francis wrote:
That's the kind of thing I can understand, Contrex!

So, she caught your "eye" (I)?

Not the only organ involved... I thought of asking her if she wanted a "bite" to eat...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:48 am
coberst wrote:

Nonsense. If so, why aren't the others capitalized, as in "... and then They went out..." or "... so I told him that He was silly..."
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:01 pm
contrex wrote:
Not the only organ involved... I thought of asking her if she wanted a "bite" to eat...

That would be too direct.

You should talk to her about history and ask her if she would like to "Hittite"..
0 Replies

averner

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:15 pm
me not understand
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:18 pm
Aye! (I)...

It's intended to Contrex...

Hittite in French is pronounced "eat it"...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:50 pm
Mame wrote:
coberst wrote:

Nonsense. If so, why aren't the others capitalized, as in "... and then They went out..." or "... so I told him that He was silly..."
Because they and he are objects to the speaker. I is the subject of the speaker.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:05 pm
Quote:

Alas, this is pure conjecture and highly contoversial.

Piaget for example was of the view that a newborn infant had no concept of a distinction between "self" and "world", and that such a distinction arises later through a process of "de-centration". Even after the acquisition of "I" the child remains "ego-centric" to the extent that the child's viewpoint is assumed by the child to be that of others.

Other writers claim that that a concept of "self" as an "actor" amongst others requires socialization through language. In the early stages of this, no significance is attached to idiosyncratic variants of utterances like "Me do it"/"I do it"/"Peter do it". Concepts of "personal pronouns" are deemed to belong to the realm of abstract grammatical analysis rather than that of developmental psychology.

In anticipation of coberst's rejoinder that such points are "negative", he would be correct in as much they are dismissive of his perpetual source Becker as the "fount of all wisdom". Concepts of "self" have been discussed in great detail on this forum and I invite coberst expand his knowledge by investigating them.
e.g.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14696&highlight=
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 04:49 am
Fresco

You are always negative. I never know when to seriously consider your remarks. It is possible that you may know something about the subject under consideration but if you always say X is false when I say X is true I am unable to determine if your view is worth consideration.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:20 am
coberst,

But YOU tend not to say anythng ! You merely quote from one of your handful of sources. Why don't you contribute to the threads of others ?,
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 06:34 am
Comment from another of cobersts multiple forums...

Quote:
Coberst, what does it take to get through to you? Several posters have demonstrated that English is possibly/probably unique in the capitlisation of the the first person subjective singular. You are placing the weight of your argument on this flimsy, arbitrary fact. It is a baseless argument. Live with it.
0 Replies