No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:41 am
Independence for Kosovo is off the agenda, envoy reveals
Independence for Kosovo is off the agenda, envoy reveals
By Anne Penketh, Diplomatic Editor
Published: 18 September 2007
Independent UK

The international community is backing away from a clear endorsement of independence for Kosovo. According to the top European negotiator, Kosovo is no longer being offered internationally-supervised independence from Serbia, in an apparent concession to Belgrade and Moscow that is likely to infuriate the disputed province's ethnic Albanian majority.

The envoy, Wolfgang Ischinger, who is the German ambassador to the UK and will be involved in separate talks in London today and tomorrow with a Serbian and a Kosovo delegation, said that it was time to get away from "labels" in order to achieve a "realistic" solution for Kosovo which has been administered by the UN for the past eight years since Nato's bombing campaign forced Serbia's withdrawal from the province in 1999. The Kosovo delegation, whose leaders are threatening to unilaterally declare independence, wants the London talks to focus on "technical issues between two independent states," the Kosovo Prime Minister, Agim Ceku, said yesterday before leaving Pristina.

But Mr Ischinger said: "The label is worth nothing. Where are they going to get their income from? They would continue to rely on foreign aid."

Asked whether the ultimate outcome of the latest negotiations could be internationally-supervised independence, Mr Ischinger replied: "I would say that we will try to reach a status solution which will provide for an internationally-supervised status for Kosovo. I would leave open independence. I would rather talk about a strong supervised status."

However he added that talks so far with Serbia - which strongly rejects an outcome of self rule for Kosovo - and the ethnic Albanian delegation had "made some progress, drawing both parties away from the label. Independence versus autonomy is a gap which cannot be bridged if you look at the fine print. International supervision is accepted."

Mr Ischinger also indicated that his "troika" of negotiators, including a US and a Russian diplomat, had given further ground by agreeing to a Serbian demand that the plan drawn up by former Finnish president Marti Ahtisaari would not form the basis for the talks. "I would not insist on the Ahtisaari package, but it's not off the table," he said.

Russia stymied US and European attempts to endorse Mr Ahtisaari's plan, providing for de facto independence for Kosovo under EU supervision but guaranteeing the rights of the Serb minority, by threatening to veto the settlement at the UN and demanding further negotiations. The UN Security Council has set a deadline of 10 December for the "troika" to submit a final status report to the UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon. The incentive for both sides to reach an agreement would be future membership of the European Union. Serbia is close to signing a stabilisation and association agreement with the EU marking its first step towards membership, but the move is conditional on Belgrade handing over the indicted suspect General Ratko Mladic to the UN war crimes tribunal.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:36 am
Quote:
Kosovo Tactics May Split Serbia
BIRN Balkan Insight
07 09 2007

Summary:

Quote:
Serbia's threats to pull back from closer links with NATO over Kosovo are widely perceived as a step away from the West, and might shake the ruling coalition. But PM Kostunica's call to not join NATO might be popular, as anger over the NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999 lingers. While two-thirds of Serbs support EU membership, less than a third wants to join NATO. For now, nobody knows whether Kostunica's party is bluffing, but if Kosovo would be lost, a coalition between it and the opposition Radicals might become likely.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:28 pm
Quote:
Ceku: Kosovo will declare independence in December

Southeast European Times
10/10/2007

Summary:

Quote:
Kosovo Prime Minister Agim Ceku has reiterated that Kosovo will declare independence from Serbia within days of the December 10th deadline if no deal on its final status is in place by then.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:35 pm
Quote:

Summary:

Quote:
The people of Kosovo and the UN administration in Kosovo, UNMIK, do not see eye-to-eye over the proceedings against political activist Albin Kurti. Kurti has been under house arrest since the Pristina protests of February 10, in which two persons were killed when UN police forces fired rubber bullets at protesters when they tried to break through police lines.

The leader of the Vetevendosje (Self-determination) movement claims he is a political prisoner. Although not many Kosovars would join him in protests against UNMIK, most do believe that the charges against Kurti have been politically motivated, and that he is being held isolated to keep him from further political activities while Kosovo's status issue awaits its resolution.

Vetevendosje opposes the negotiating process on Kosovo's future status, demanding instead full and immediate independence. It has protested against UNMIK and painted the slogan "no negotiations, self-determination" on the walls of many public buildings. Kurti is a former students' leader, who was arrested in 1999 and sentenced to 15 years in prison by the late President Slobodan Milosevic's regime, and released from jail in 2001.

Critics of the proceedings against Kurti point out that the prosecution and the judges belong to the same UNMIK department, and Julie Chadbourne of the International Helsinki Federation complained that it had been denied permission to visit Kurti. The acting ombudsperson of Kosovo said there had been violations of procedures in Kurti's case.

But Robert Dean, acting head of UNMIK's Department of Justice, denied that Kurti was prosecuted for his political views. "The problem with Kurti is the way of expression. It's not the message, it's the manner", he said. He admits that, "When I saw the structure that the prosecutors and the international judges were organisationally within the same department of justice, I found it, from my American experience, problematic." But he vows that he has "promised judges complete independence of operations".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:44 pm
The October 15, 2007 New Yorker has an article on this by William Finnegan. I'm about mid-article, was reading it this morning. I checked the New Yorker site to give a link, but it still only has an abstract, not the full article.

Letter from Kosovo THE COUNTDOWN by William Finnegan
0 Replies