The urge to move to Australia...

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:26 pm
Good Afternoon!

I've found myself with an urge to move to Australia from America, and am quite curious as to the differences, benefits, and unfortunates of such a decision.

Not to mention, it would be lovely to find a "penpal" or two, to chat with/get to know.

If anyone is interested in such conversation, please feel free to jump right into participation.

-Joshua
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,262 • Replies: 7
No top replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:05 am
Hello Joshua,

Perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit about yourself. No need to go into any great detail, but just enough to let us get to know your interests, etc.

Have a good read of some of the subjects covered in this section - you might come across items you would like to talk about and I can assure you that there are always plenty of us happy and willing to have our say.
0 Replies

Violette

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 09:01 am
Suggesting a Potential Penpal for You
G'day, Matey,

That's how my ex-Australian sister-in-law always starts her emails to me. I find it enchanting! The Australian slang is so colorful; but fair dinkum, Yanks better know what it means before using it!

I spotted your post, and thought my Sis might be an interesting penpal for you. Some years ago, she moved to Australia, where she met and married an Australian. She loved the Australian customs and traditions, and learned a lot about them while she was there. She might even share some of the pitfalls of making such a move.

She's back in the USA now, but still treasures her memories of Australia. She is a good writer. She's a newly registered member on this board. If you'd like to contact her, just post a message to "Oleander."

Happy writing!
Violette
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 09:09 am
Hello, JHoersten2 & welcome to A2K. Very Happy

I'm curious to know about what's inspired this urge to move to Oz. Have you visited & enjoyed your time here, perhaps?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:49 am
I've an urge to move to the mythical Didjabringabeeralong.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 11:40 pm
Hi Joshua

There are many differences.

Australians overall tend to be fairly laid back. They don't take offense too easily (excepting drunks).

Our pronunciation is a little different to the US, and the spelling is British English, not American English.

We tend as a nation to 'take the piss out of each other' - that is, to give each other a hard time, to make fun of others (in good nature) etc. If someone is giving you a hard time, they are usually being friendly.

Australians tend to be cynical and sarcastic, and aren't all that fussed of people who think a lot of themselves (but no one takes it all too seriously).

(these are of course, generalities)

The lifestyle does vary from City to City, and to the towns. When I lived in North Queensland, it was much more laid back than in Brisbane (Capital City of Queensland).

The Australian accent doesn't differ too much, but Sydney is the closest to the American accent, and Adelaide the closest to the British accent (so we Queenslanders sometimes wonder if they are really Australian).

Melbourne is the most Multicultural of Australian Cities, and Sydney has the most racial tension. Perth is probably the best big city (from what I hear). Tasmania is probably the prettiest state.

All that said, my Brother in Law is American, and he occasionally found it difficult, in that many Australians have a preconception of american men as being loud and arrogant (which seems to come from TV shows, tourists, and no doubt the US govt). Having been to the US, I found them very friendly and welcoming Very Happy
0 Replies

HowardGay

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:24 pm
@msolga,
I wanted to move there . #1 reason is that I heard from so many people that it is just like the U.S back in 1960's. . U.s has changed so much that I rather leave and try it some were else. Something about Australia has always caught me attention. Thanks Howard
0 Replies

Duke0011

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:12 pm
@JHoersten2,
I am the same way Josh, I currently am not liking this country either. I've always been in love with Australia. The people, the agriculture and most of all the number One thing that would make me live over there. The animals, all of the reptiles, marsupials, and just the thousands of animals scattererd across such a beautiful country. I was wondering how hard would it be to just leave hear, and get a job and place to live over there till I eventually fit into society.
0 Replies