Sh...ame: Nigeria police stop 15,000 fake cheques in month

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
And I was waiting and waiting for my money (a couple of widows of ministers, kings, presdents .... and today the vice-presdind of a bank wanted to send millions of millions $$ Crying or Very sad ):

Quote:
Nigeria police stop 15,000 fake cheques in month
Wed 5 Sep 2007, 17:38 GMT

ABUJA, Sept 5 (Reuters) - Nigerian anti-fraud police intercepted more than 15,000 counterfeit cheques in just one month during a crackdown on fraudsters using postal services in Lagos, the force said on Wednesday.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it had worked with U.S. and British investigators to sift through tonnes of mail in search of fraudulent documents sent by Nigerian "advance fee" conmen.

The so-called advance fee fraud involves sending people emails requesting their help in exporting a lump sum from Nigeria. Victims are promised a share of the cash and asked for their bank details.

"The exercise ... saw agents of the three law enforcement agencies poring through tonnes of outward bound packages in the pre-exporting mail processing centres of the Nigerian Postal Service and private courier companies," the EFCC said.

"In all, 15,129 counterfeit cheques related to advance fee fraud scams were intercepted ... The operations opened up new investigation vistas leading to the arrest and prosecution of a number of suspects," it said of the operation which ended Aug. 16.

The EFCC, created in 2003, has tried to curb financial scams that have become a Nigerian specialty. Nigeria is seen as a major source of financial crime in several countries.

The EFCC has secured numerous convictions against email scammers, including a group of fraudsters who stole $242 million from a Brazilian bank.

In Britain, a report published last November found that Internet scams, credit card fraud, money laundering operations and forged cheques and postal orders originating in Nigeria were costing Britons millions of pounds every year.

Source:© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 7
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:40 pm
Quote:
"In all, 15,129 counterfeit cheques related to advance fee fraud scams were intercepted ...

I am amazed that , that many people fell for that scam.
Im surprised ANYONE falls for that anymore..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:54 pm
yeh but you can make about 10 million bucks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:06 pm
They also respond to for sale ads, offering to buy what you're selling, send you a fake check for X amount over the asking price, and stupid people send them back the difference of overpayment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:01 pm
So, you recommend that I should wait till the checks clear?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:17 pm
No, send me my money immediately.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:33 pm
check's in the mail.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:01 pm
My company wrote a check to a regular vendor for 79.00. About a month later, a computer dealer called to ask if we really wanted them to cash the same check number in the amount of $10,000.00 for some kind of computer cards to be sent to somewhere in Nigeria. Well, we said, 'no'. the dealer sent us the check, just for our own interest, and it was a perfect counterfeit. I would have bought the signature any day of the week, and it looked identical to our checks. Counterfeit it was. They had thoughtfully changed one number in the account number so we wouldn't get stuck with the charge.
0 Replies