Stuck in a rut. (With no Ice)

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 03:52 pm
Does anyone else have this thinking pattern? It's kind of got me stuck in a rut at the moment.

Take two beliefs, e.g. Jewish and Christian. One cannot be rated one over the other according to reason, because whose reason would you trust? The Jew or the Christian? You would need an outside moderator.
Likewise, there are billions of viewpoints, just because some are similar to others does not mean the majority wins- issues are way more complex than that.
Mine is just another one.
In some ways I think to myself- but you are you! You are allowed to believe what you believe! But then I think- yes but everyone is everyone! They can all believe what they like too, and then my beliefs pail into insignificance again.....

When I see some idiot, e.g. some of the idiots you get on here sometimes, saying something completely istupid, I think 'Gosh! You are such an idiot! How could you possibly think that!'
But then I think- 'but if I was that person then
I would think that!' So really, I am no better than the idiot, the only reason I may deem my opinions better is because they are mine, and therefore judged on my terms. Like I said, they cannot be rated against each other. It's like saying 'Which ones better? Green or yellow?'
It's just a matter of taste, or opinion.
Does it matter that I prefer green?

Please rip this to shreads for me guys, it would be entirely useful for me to get out of this habbit of thinking for a while, if only to give my brain a rest.

What a long way I have come from my first post, all those years ago.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 766 • Replies: 14
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 05:44 pm
No ripping here Queenie. There are indeed no shortage of viewpoints on the world and every story has a million sides. But being aware of that doesn't mean you should never say or think 'That's stupid.'

Great evil is perpetuated because no-one said 'Hang on, that's not right.'

So take your new wisdom on board, but don't let it paralyse you. Use it for the forces of goodness.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:16 pm
Take it easy Queenie. Hingie is near enough. Swan it. That's what I do.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:34 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

When I see some idiot, e.g. some of the idiots you get on here sometimes, saying something completely istupid, I think 'Gosh! You are such an idiot! How could you possibly think that!'

Give us an example of what you think is something completely stupid, and we'll let you know if you're on the mark or not.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 09:38 pm
Re: Stuck in a rut. (With no Ice)
Does anyone else have this thinking pattern? It's kind of got me stuck in a rut at the moment.

Take two beliefs, e.g. Jewish and Christian. One cannot be rated one over the other according to reason, because whose reason would you trust? The Jew or the Christian? You would need an outside moderator.
Likewise, there are billions of viewpoints, just because some are similar to others does not mean the majority wins- issues are way more complex than that.

For every person on this planet there is a separate view of the world. But there is only one world which is common to all; physical reality.

We can only assume that we have the ability to perceive reality accurately. There is always the chance that our reality is just like "The Matrix", or is just a dream. But there is nowhere to proceed from that assumption. Nothing to learn from it, nothing to gain.

If we trust that we have the ability to understand reality, then we can build from that foundation.

By starting with physical reality as the basis to compare perceptions we can at least determine which other viewpoints are farther from the baseline and which are closer. With some common ground to work from we can communicate. Without common ground to work from our ability to communicate is interfered with and our views of the world become fractured and isolated.

This is what you are experiencing. You are realizing that your own perception is no more valid than any other, and you haven't yet established a common ground from which to measure everything from. Most people accept their own viewpoint (or the viewpoint of a group) as the common standard and measure everyone else around that, but it's an illusion unless you can ground it in reality and compare it against other perceptions or test it against the ability to survive (the ultimate measure of reality).
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:46 am
Hmmm, ok then, maybe what I am searching for is a moderator then.

If you want a really good example of something stupid, then I can't remember their name, but someone was on here the other week claiming that Ghosts couldn't possibly be dead spirits, that was ridiculous- what they actually were were demons out to get you.
I thought that was pretty stupid.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:02 am

Maybe. But a moderator will have to have some base of measurement as well. At the very least you'll have to know what it is (a Deists would give you a very different perspective than a christian fundamentalist or a scientist)

If you want a really good example of something stupid, then I can't remember their name, but someone was on here the other week claiming that Ghosts couldn't possibly be dead spirits, that was ridiculous- what they actually were were demons out to get you.

That sounds stupid to me also, but my base of measurement is very far away from Demons of any kind. My baseline is very empirical.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:29 am
Not all viewpoints are equally valid. For example, there's my viewpoint and there are other people's viewpoints.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:05 pm

Hmm!

Well, if, as the bible points out, the dead " . . . are conscious of nothing at all . . ." (Ecclesiastes 9:4) and if, as the bible often states, there are demons, that would not be such a stupid assertion after all.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:48 pm
neologist wrote:

Hmm!

Well, if, as the bible points out, the dead " . . . are conscious of nothing at all . . ." (Ecclesiastes 9:4) and if, as the bible often states, there are demons, that would not be such a stupid assertion after all.

But that is because the Bible is your moderator......

From where I am standing, demons and ghosts are both equally unlikely.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 05:35 pm
neologist wrote:

Hmm!

But that is because the Bible is your moderator......

Never seen either, myself.

But, then again, I ain't never seen an electron, neither.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:48 pm
neologist wrote:

That's a cute little quip. But do you really want to imply that Demons and Electrons are just as likely because you've never seen either?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:43 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

That's a cute little quip. But do you really want to imply that Demons and Electrons are just as likely because you've never seen either?
Nope. But anyone who professes belief in the bible has to acknowledge the existence of demons.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:13 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Nope. But anyone who professes belief in the bible has to acknowledge the existence of demons.

I think I agree with that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:33 pm

Does that include things like gods?
0 Replies