WEB RADIOS

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:49 pm
Anybody know anything or have any preferences on purchasing one of these web radios. They are wireless router based radios that allow direct tuning to any station on the web. (I like CBC and can only get one program south of Portland Maine and thats "The WOrld Tonight") I like the ability to tune into local stations and St Johns, Moncton, Chatham, Fredericton and Halifax all broadcast web all day.
At home we have a wioreless router and I understand that it(the radio) acts like a wifi reciever exceptno compuiter is involved.

The ones I saw were a bit pricey but bein the first kid on the block has some braggin rights in the country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 908 • Replies: 7
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
wowser - I am listening to this also - thanks!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:55 pm
an official welcome back from wherever the hell you been keepin yoselfs, there husker. Good to read yer posts. Hopefully someone will speak up. This was the kind of stuff that Timber was the 200 watt guy .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:37 pm
If you're on high speed and install a connection to a good sound system from your computer, you can receive some fantastic stations including 5 channel surround sound. XM and Sirius are, of course, the most highly marketed but I like Radio Free Virgin. www.radiofreevirgin.com One subscription for XM or Sirius, of course, which is now being built into most surround receivers leaves you the option of receiving the signal on your sound system, on you computer or in your car. Pioneer receivers have both built in Sirius and XM receivers so there's nothing to do but subscribe.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:48 pm
Dang, Radio Free Virgin has been taken down -- probably pushed out by XM and Sirius.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:05 am
Im talking about something else entirely WIz. The wifi radios are, by using internal synthesizers, able to link directly to the www adresses that are pre set in the radio. (One can get updates using a data stick) So the www, like "CBC from EDmunston NB" is on the air all day. I could get any of (presently) 5500+ stations rom around the world. No need for Sirius or XM (whose programming skills are crappy IMHO) Ialready wrote to Sirius (I had a test drive for a year) and I reccomended a TIVO like feature where you could tune to stations with recorded books or something a bit more satisfying than the present crap on there. I actually dislike music in a car, if its really good music, its distracting and my mind engages two halves and blurs out my judgement lobe. Listening to verbal communication doesnt do that for me. Lately Ive been downloading audiobooks and playing them on CD in the trucks or on MP3 in the car.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:38 am
Yes, I wasn't impressed by the Sirius and XM programming but I don't know if I'd invest in a wifi radio. Most of my customers want Sirius as it has NPR, but XM has an equivalent. Radio Free Virgin had superior programming and could be used like TIVO. Unfortunately, gone -- they couldn't keep their sponsors because there weren't enough subscribers. If they had gone to a car radio turner with their really nice graphics on the panel, that would have been a more expensive add-on. It could have also downloaded or streamed movies (of course, for the back seat passenger) and have a touch screen feature like the Kaleidoscope server available for a home entertainment system if you'd rather purchase one of those instead of a new Jaguar.

I'm sure there's going to be improvements in XM and Sirius and likely some competition with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. That really does sound wonderful in a car interior as suddently the sound is no longer trapped inside the cabin.
It is strange to be driving along with a full symphony orchestra seated in the four seats of the average auto.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 06:48 am
So, nobody"s familiar with these?
0 Replies