Real Estate / Refinance Boom Ending - What Now George ???

Anon

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:34 pm
Real Estate Boom Continuing Full Speed Ahead Despite Busted Economy - Protracted Disaster Lurks ...

I don't know about other areas in the country, but in the San Francisco Bay Area, real estate is booming despite the busted economy. Of the 2.6 Million jobs lost in America since 2000, over 1 Million of them lost were right here in California. Nonetheless, home sales are moving among record price levels.

The article below ...
"Stocks Rise on 2 Positive Economic Reports" attributes the whopping real estate market, along with improved consumer confidence as driving forces in Stock Market Increases and Strength.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Wall-Street.html

Then, in a seemingly schizophrenic manner, another article, with another message. "A Sickly Economy, With No Cure in Sight" pointing out the problems involved for a long haul recovery.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/25/weekinreview/25LEON.html

Now, I was in Real Estate actively for 8 years, 5 of them being the owner of my own Real Estate Brokerage in Alameda, California.

I've watched three major swings from boom to bust and back over the past 30 years. Each time the swing has become more radical ... at least here in Ca. Can't speak for your area of the country.

Here is what I see ... record low interest rates have resulted in record high price levels because the debt service at these bottom rates make the loans supportable. Once the rates increase, the debt service increases from the supportable to the obscene.

Friend of mine just bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo with a two car garage ... upper to medium middle class neighborhood in Mill Valley, Ca. He paid $575,000. Sold off some stock he inherited, enough to pay 25% down to a loan of 431,000. First 5 years monthly payments paid at 4.75 interest only netting roughly $1,700 per month. Taxes are $500 per month, Condo monthly fees of $250. I have no idea about homeowners insurance, but we'll ignore that just for chuckles. Total payment ... $2,450 per month ... cheap for here!

Now ... In five years, it reverts to a 30 year loan at whatever the current rate is. A modest increase of 2% interest rate, and then, of course, the principal payment pop's this cheap payment to 3,350. per month.

Do the math, we're buying at prices reflecting an unrealistic overall interest rate and an inflated sale price. Interest rate increases quickly destroy market value.

Once the interest rates return to normalcy, how long do you think it will take the pricing structure to normalize ?? Based on previous booms and busts, I'm betting 6-8 years, and that is optimistic. Picture a dead real estate market for 6-8 years with a huge drop in new starts bringing construction to a halt. This isn't speculation, it has happened many times before. What will we count on then to spur our economy ... consumer confidence??

Anon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,547 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:52 am
Hmmm.. I'm certianly no expert here but in this area (greater Boston) the rise in housing costs leveled as the interest rates dropped and have seen a very slight drop in just the last month or two. Most of the decreases have been in rental costs though, not sale prices.

The majority of the really low interest loans went to homeowners who were refinancing their existing homes though, not new buyers. In those cases they aren't taking on new debt load, they are reducing their existsing debt load due to the lower rates. I would think that would be a good thing in the overall market.

In the case you cited it seems your friend was foolish and went with an ARM (maybe there was some other reason he/she chose this... ???). With fixed rate 30-year fixed rate loans at record low rates why take the risk? If they had converted to a 30 year fixed rate while the rates were down in the 5.75% rate they would have had stable monthly payments.

But, to your main point.. Well, who knows??? The housing market collapsed in CT back in the mid-1990s and it never completely recovered even to today. I have a house in OK that has been on the market now for 3 years and I still can't unload it because the area was over-built with to many new houses for the market area. Housing markets seem to be exceptionally regional which makes predicting anything with them a major PITA (as I'm sure you know! Wink )
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:02 am
I've been house shopping for about 6 months. Here in Mass the prices have dropped. A home that would have gone to market at $400,000 and sold for that is now going to market at $370,000 and selling at about $350,000. That's in the Greater Boston area.

It's not great - $350,000 - $330,000 for a small 2 bedroom cape at the moment within the 128 loop, but it's better than what we were looking at before. Either way, at a combined income of $90,000 a year, we still end up spending half our monthly income on a mortgage for a small 2 bedroom cape while trying to keep out work commute to under and hour and a half each way.

Needless to say, I'm a bit sick to my stomach over the whole thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:47 am
Oho! At last I understand PITA. Thanks fishin'.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
fishin' wrote:
Hmmm.. I'm certianly no expert here but in this area (greater Boston) the rise in housing costs leveled as the interest rates dropped and have seen a very slight drop in just the last month or two. Most of the decreases have been in rental costs though, not sale prices.

Not here Mr. Fish! Property values have been jumping 20-25% annually. Home sales have been soaring in spite of the job losses, income loss, lower incomes ... literally against all logic!! One of the main reasons that people CAN support these prices levels is due to the rock bottom interest rates. Housing starts here had been dynamic! I actually started seeing the edge come off last November. That's when JayBea and I put the Tiburon House on the market and cashed out in December. I knew this would be coming, I just wasn't sure how fast. That's when we bought this Oceanfront property in Timber Cove, Ca. Funny enough, it had been on the market for over a year, and we got 3 acres on the Ocean at a very good price. The house needed work, but that was no problem for us because we wanted to put our own imprint on it anyway!

fishin' wrote:
The majority of the really low interest loans went to homeowners who were refinancing their existing homes though, not new buyers. In those cases they aren't taking on new debt load, they are reducing their existsing debt load due to the lower rates. I would think that would be a good thing in the overall market.

Of course it has been a good thing! It's what has kept the economy afloat! That is quite the point! Obviously the low interest rates have been a huge boon for existing mortgage holders at higher rates. Not only were payments slashed, money from the refinances was pumped back into the economy. That is one of the main reasons the consumer has been able to carry the economy on their backs!! However, here in California, it has not only been the refi's that have been active, but also the home purchases. Construction loans, home addons, etc.

fishin' wrote:
In the case you cited it seems your friend was foolish and went with an ARM (maybe there was some other reason he/she chose this... ???). With fixed rate 30-year fixed rate loans at record low rates why take the risk? If they had converted to a 30 year fixed rate while the rates were down in the 5.75% rate they would have had stable monthly payments.

No, he wasn't foolish inasmuch as he was able to buy a property that was otherwise way over his head. If the prices continue to jump 20-25% per year, you'll think he ia a genius. Problem is, he has bet the wrong direction. This is my point, and the news is now coming out that supports my viewpoint. Property here wasn't static, like in Boston!

fishin' wrote:
But, to your main point.. Well, who knows??? The housing market collapsed in CT back in the mid-1990s and it never completely recovered even to today. I have a house in OK that has been on the market now for 3 years and I still can't unload it because the area was over-built with to many new houses for the market area. Housing markets seem to be exceptionally regional which makes predicting anything with them a major PITA (as I'm sure you know! Wink ).

However, Mr. Fish, the signs are here already. Here's a few links, just to show you where we really are!

Surge in Rates May Hurt Pillar of the Economy
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/05/business/05ECON.html

Many stretch too far on mortgage, study finds
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/08/03/RE169421.DTL

Mortgage rates creep up, worrying buyers
Refinance market collapses as 30-year loans top 6 percent
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/08/01/MN19585.DTL

This is enough for now! Readem and weep!

Anon
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:39 pm
Re: Real Estate / Refinance Boom Ending - What Now George ??
Anon wrote:
Once the interest rates return to normalcy, how long do you think it will take the pricing structure to normalize ?? Based on previous booms and busts, I'm betting 6-8 years, and that is optimistic. Picture a dead real estate market for 6-8 years with a huge drop in new starts bringing construction to a halt. This isn't speculation, it has happened many times before. What will we count on then to spur our economy ... consumer confidence??

Anon

i've seen an estimate of 5 years (businessweek?) which does seem optimistic.

what will spur the economy? if we get a dem in office in 2005, a stronger dollar.

i'm worried about unemployment though. during the 90's we had the tech sector to boost us. tech jobs are permenantly gone now and we're losing more and more. we need another capital intensive sector to explode.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:28 pm
Sugar:

I would keep waiting, because I think the drop has only begun! As long as Georgie Porgie keeps spending 4B a month in Iraq, 1B a month in Afghanistan, and spending like a drunken whore pumping up his campaign investors, this nation is going to continue digging itself into the hole called bankruptcy.

The government will continue to borrow greater and greater amounts, which will compete heavily for the available dollars, driving interest rates up, and stealing it away from the economy.

Meanwhile Big Business leaders like IBM, H/P, Microsoft, along with a host of others are exporting jobs out of the United States by the tens of thousands ... to India, China ... any labor market which works at considerably less wage levels than the U.S.

Batten down the hatches Sugar, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:42 pm
Ye110man:

Unemployment is going to get much worse unless you're working with a war related industry. Our primary product now is War and Destruction, so anything that blows **** up and kills people, or reconstructs the damage we do with the wars we wage on the world should do well.

However if you're working in the Tech Induststry, Georges main contributors are busily exporting the jobs out of the United States as fast as they can. Last week, unemployment went from 6.4 to 6.2%, however salaries are actually going down, not up!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/07/opinion/07HERB.html

Duck Quick .... The **** is hitting the fan!!!!

Anon
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:04 am
Anon wrote:
Not here Mr. Fish! Property values have been jumping 20-25% annually.

and

Quote:
However, here in California, it has not only been the refi's that have been active, but also the home purchases. Construction loans, home addons, etc.

As I said in my original poost, housing trends are exceptionally regional. Should the rest of the country all hold it's collective breath because of what is happening people in CA?

Quote:
No, he wasn't foolish inasmuch as he was able to buy a property that was otherwise way over his head. If the prices continue to jump 20-25% per year, you'll think he ia a genius. Problem is, he has bet the wrong direction. This is my point, and the news is now coming out that supports my viewpoint. Property here wasn't static, like in Boston!

No, the problem is the only way he'd look like a genius is if he intended to sell the house in a few years when he took the mortgage and then actually does sell it. That is something you haven't indicated he intended to do. If his intention was to live in the house long term then he was/is a fool. As you state yourself, he bought property he couldn't afford. Instead, he's likely to be selling the house in an attempt to avoid bankruptcy.

Quote:
This is enough for now! Readem and weep!

I have nothing to redeem nor weep for. I was smart enough to avoid living in CA.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:07 pm
Fishin:

You Post:

"I have nothing to redeem nor weep for. I was smart enough to avoid living in CA."

I'm wondering if you took the time to read the links? If you had, you would realize the problem is not a only a California problem. It is a national problem, that has national consequences. Perhaps you shoud take a look at the links?

While you're doing a review, perhaps you can read this and deduce it is not a only California problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/07/business/07LEND.html

Anon
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:10 pm
Anon wrote:
Ye110man:

Unemployment is going to get much worse unless you're working with a war related industry. Our primary product now is War and Destruction, so anything that blows **** up and kills people, or reconstructs the damage we do with the wars we wage on the world should do well.

However if you're working in the Tech Induststry, Georges main contributors are busily exporting the jobs out of the United States as fast as they can. Last week, unemployment went from 6.4 to 6.2%, however salaries are actually going down, not up!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/07/opinion/07HERB.html

Duck Quick .... The **** is hitting the fan!!!!

Anon

the defense contractors aren't enough to boost this economy. not these days.
healthcare may be the next big thing. frankly i think those guys are overpaid right now. let's flood the healthcare job market!
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 11:24 am
Fishin':

Here is a pretty balanced article on this subject. At first it seems hopeful, until, you read the entire article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/10/business/10ECON.html?pagewanted=2&hp

Anon
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 12:18 pm
Between the interesting elections, and this thread, I peeked around and found some news about the changing demographics in California.

It seems the major influx of Mexicans isn't enough to offset the flight of urban Californians. The article states, for the first time, CA is losing residents.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/948833.asp?0dm=N27BN

From the article:
IN SEARCH OF SPACE
William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution in Washington, said the California departures could be a sign that residents were fed up with high housing prices and sprawl.
Analysts also noted that although the San Francisco Bay area's economy boomed during the late 1990s, Southern California's economy slumped.
Next-door Nevada was the place of choice for the largest number of exiting Californians: 199,000 settled there.
"People are leaving urbanism and wanting to move where there is more space or more affordable housing," Frey said.
-------------------
I didn't realize this was going on. What will this mean to the make-up of California? Is this to be embraced or addressed?
0 Replies