Truscott acquitted in death of Lynn Harper

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 06:51 pm
Truscott acquitted in death of Lynn Harper

In 1959, 14 year old Steven Truscott was found guilty of murdering classmate Lynn Harper, after 48 years of proclaiming his innocence he was finally acquitted today

Globe and Mail story

and from wikipedia

Steven Truscott
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 877 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:06 pm
The Steven Truscott Story was one of the first "grown up" books I ever read. Even as a pre-teen it just did not seem to me that his guilt had been proved. Thanks for the update, djjd.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:21 pm
I've been thinking about this case a lot, as the time for a decision neared.

It seems to me that this case has been part of my whole life, my whole awareness of the criminal justice system.

I can remember reading an article in the weekend magazine that used to come with the Toronto Star - probably 40 years ago - about the case. I didn't understand everything in the article, but what I could understand didn't make sense.

Then, like Tai Chi, I read the book. Things made less sense.

I wish they'd actually come out and said "Not guilty".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:22 pm
It is cases such as this keeping me wary of the justice system, and against the death penalty.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:43 pm
I first heard of Stephen Truscott in the Toronto Telegram (now defunct) and even as a pre-teen did not make sense of what I read. My thoughts on the matter have not changed over the years and. like ehbeth, I think it should have been a not guilty reversal.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 12:15 am
"Acquital" is the legal term for a finding of not guilty, so they did indeed find him not guilty.

I'm happy for Mr. Truscott!

The decision isn't published on CanLII yet. I'm looking forward to reading the Ont. CA's decision in its entirety.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:03 am
(listening, sounds horrible, but I don't say this from a superior angle...)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:08 am
The really horrible thing, osso, is that more logical suspects were ignored at the time and after all these years the Harper family will most likely never see justice for their loss.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
mckenzie wrote:
"Acquital" is the legal term for a finding of not guilty, so they did indeed find him not guilty.

I'm happy for Mr. Truscott!

The decision isn't published on CanLII yet. I'm looking forward to reading the Ont. CA's decision in its entirety.

It may be just a case of semantics. He was acquitted but never designated as innocent. They fell short at making that pronouncement. There is a difference between aquital and being deemed innocent.

At least it is over.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:15 am
The difference between not guilty and innocent could mean a lot to the Truscott family.
0 Replies