Can you solve this riddle?

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 08:18 pm
Two pilgrims stopped by the side of the road to eat. Once had seven loaves oof bread and the other had five loaves. A third traveler arrived before they had begun their meal and ask them to share their foood with him. They agreed and the three shared the bread equally.

After they had finished, the third traveler got up, thanked the two pilgrims for the bread, and left twelve silver pieces in payment got his meal. The piilgrim orginally had 7 loaves of bread thouoght he should recieve 7 of the coins and his fellow should recieve 5, in the same numbers as their original loaves of bread. The other pilgrem, however, thought the coins should be split 6 too 6, because the bread had been shared equally.

They could not agree, and so they asked the local wise man what to do. The wise man decided that the pilgrim who orginally had seven loaves of breaad should recieve nine silver pieces and the who orginally had 5 loaves should recieve only three.

Why is that fair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 478 • Replies: 3
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 08:23 pm
Because of the bread and silver involved, plus the fact that there were three men. (Pilgrims, as you called them)
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:22 pm
they had 12 loaves total for 3 people so each man ate 4 loaves
the guy who had 7 had to give the stranger 3 loaves
the guy who had 5 had to give the stranger 1 loaf
so the guy who had more loaves gave the stranger 3 times as much bread, so he should receive 3 times as much gold
hence he gets 9 pieces and the other guy gets 3
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:00 am
That's too simple!
I could have told them that!
0 Replies