Question about blocked internet accounts

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
I have something I want to ask and it's been bugging me somewhat for a while.

Let's say you get blocked for using certain functions or portals on a website, and then you request that your porfile gets removed from that site.

Do you think there would be a problem with using a relative's name to set up a new account?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 52
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:19 pm
That probably depends on the severity of the infraction that got you banned to begin with as well as how fickle the site owner is.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:40 pm
Reply to fishin
fishin wrote:
That probably depends on the severity of the infraction that got you banned to begin with as well as how fickle the site owner is.

Can you elaborate? What do you mean fickle?

THere are ways to go back to sites like that without them knowing it's you-I've done it before.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:43 pm
My strategy is to not be a jerk. I have found to be a useful strategy and I have never been banned from anywhere.

It is up to the owner who they allow to use their site. If I had blocked you under one login, and I had any suspicion that you were using another login, I would block that one as well.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:45 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
My strategy is to not be a jerk. I have found to be a useful strategy and I have never been banned from anywhere.

It is up to the owner who they allow to use their site. If I had blocked you under one login, and I had any suspicion that you were using another login, I would block that one as well.

Do you run any websites?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:46 pm
Yes... but I am very selective....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:47 pm
Re: Reply to fishin
JGoldman10 wrote:
fishin wrote:

THere are ways to go back to sites like that without them knowing it's you-I've done it before.

What makes you think they don't know?

If you use the same IP address they'd know (or at least figure it out). If you use the same e-mail registration they'd know. In most cases people "out" themselves and eventually make it known that they came back with a new name.

You might get by for a while but eventually they'll know if they care enough to know. And if you've pissed them off enough then as soon as they figure it out the new ID will be banned too.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:49 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Yes... but I am very selective....

The key is if you're going to do something like that is not let them think you're the same person.

If I really need to use a site I've figured how to do that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:50 pm
fishin wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
fishin wrote:

What makes you think they don't know?

If you use the same IP address they'd know (or at least figure it out). If you use the same e-mail registration they'd know. In most cases people "out" themselves and eventually make it known that they came back with a new name.

You might get by for a while but eventually they'll know if they care enough to know. And if you've pissed them off enough then as soon as they figure it out the new ID will be banned too.

That's the key-you don't use the same IP address or e-mail registration-those are giveaways.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:52 pm
Reply to ebrown
ebrown_p wrote:

Rather than being a sneak, maybe you can answer my question-what do you say to people to change their minds about something you want them to do for them?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:59 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
fishin wrote:

Fickle as in the owner doesn't allow anyone who doesn't agree with him to visit his site vs he doesn't like people that use language that would make a sailor blush or he doesn't allow people to promote or commit crimes that might make him liable.

Sure, there are always ways to get on a semipublic site. But is it really worth it? If your reason for being on the site is to do things that got you blacklisted then you will be found out. If you made a mistake and want to play nice in the future then they probably won't care.

Just because you use a different email address and an IP doesn't mean they won't find you out.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:04 pm
Playing nice on a site doesn't mean you have to do what is considered nice on other sites, it means whatever the site owner wants it to mean. The rules could be completely unreasonable but since it is his site he can set them however he wants. He gets to set them and he doesn't have to change them even if your request would seem reasonable to 99% of the population.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:12 pm
parados wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
fishin wrote:

Fickle as in the owner doesn't allow anyone who doesn't agree with him to visit his site vs he doesn't like people that use language that would make a sailor blush or he doesn't allow people to promote or commit crimes that might make him liable.

Sure, there are always ways to get on a semipublic site. But is it really worth it? If your reason for being on the site is to do things that got you blacklisted then you will be found out. If you made a mistake and want to play nice in the future then they probably won't care.

Just because you use a different email address and an IP doesn't mean they won't find you out.

What about a private site?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:17 pm
parados wrote:
Playing nice on a site doesn't mean you have to do what is considered nice on other sites, it means whatever the site owner wants it to mean. The rules could be completely unreasonable but since it is his site he can set them however he wants. He gets to set them and he doesn't have to change them even if your request would seem reasonable to 99% of the population.

Some of these website community managers go to ridiculous extremes-you do something a certian way they claim you're abusing their system, or say the system's not intended to be used that way.

Some of them are such sticklers is that they won't listen to you-all they care about is enforcing their rules.

Then when you try to talk to them to tell them you made an error they don't want to hear and lie and say the site's not for the purposes you said-they act like they resent you being there and act like you're the bad guy.

Other people have the nerve to stick their nose in your business and ask you what you're up to.

I was at one site and I kept getting warned about the mistakes I made-I was trying to follow the rules. I slipped and made another error then they said they were going to block me from using a certain part of the their site.

I tried talking and reasoning with the manager and he still didn't want to unblock that certain part of the site. It's like Moses trying to talk to Pharoah.

As I said there are ways to get back to these sits without them knowing it's you-I have done it before.

That's why I pray.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:34 pm
Reply to e_brown
ebrown_p wrote:

Could you prove it?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:52 pm
prove what?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:52 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
prove what?

Prove that alt was the same person?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:54 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
Some of these website community managers go to ridiculous extremes-you do something a certian way they claim you're abusing their system, or say the system's not intended to be used that way.

Some of them are such sticklers is that they won't listen to you-all they care about is enforcing their rules.

Then when you try to talk to them to tell them you made an error they don't want to hear and lie and say the site's not for the purposes you said-they act like they resent you being there and act like you're the bad guy.

Other people have the nerve to stick their nose in your business and ask you what you're up to.

I was at one site and I kept getting warned about the mistakes I made-I was trying to follow the rules. I slipped and made another error then they said they were going to block me from using a certain part of the their site.

I tried talking and reasoning with the manager and he still didn't want to unblock that certain part of the site. It's like Moses trying to talk to Pharoah.

As I said there are ways to get back to these sits without them knowing it's you-I have done it before.

That's why I pray.
What don't you understand? It seems simple to me. It is NOT YOUR SITE. If the owner doesn't want you on it and you have been banned then you should respect their wishes. Do you also break into houses or cars? You obviously have no respect for other people's property.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:55 pm
No need to prove anything.

I am a despot on my site-- if I suspect it is the same person... off he goes.

That is the advantage of having my own web site... no?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:59 pm
TTH, you are going a bit too far to the extreme...

The websites we are talking about are spaces where the public has been invited. Websites that don't open themselves to strangers don't have this problem.

These websites are more like businesses or commuity museums-- where the public can wander in, then private houses.
0 Replies