Pop up Ads

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
I rec'd two pop-up ads today using A2K; both were related to the advertisements currently being shown in the top ad bar. I am meticulous in my antivirus/antispy software and am confident that the problem doesn't lie on my end. This happened on both my home and work computers.

I don't know how much control there is over the rotating group of ads which show up, but I'd really, really rather not see that sort of thing around here.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,383 • Replies: 21
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:17 pm
So glad that wasn't just me. Happened at home and work for me too.

Cleared my cookies and history and tried again and there it was.

Yeah. Get that outta here!

I'm assuming it's the one that slides in from the left in the middle of the page. Something about a survey or something. My pop up blocker didn't stop it. I'm guessing that's because it slid in from the side.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:17 am
I saw one too. This is the first pop-up I've seen since switching to Firefox ages ago.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
Me, too!

Twice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:33 am
.... another odd thing that kept happening earlier in the evening: I kept getting an IE message box telling me something like: "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site able2know, etc, etc ... operation aborted" each time I tried to access a new thread. Then, with a bit of tinkering, I'd get in each time. Weird. Confused

That may well have been some problem at my end, but combined with the pop-ups, I thought something was definitely going haywire with my computer. Everything's back to normal now, though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:48 am
Two words: Firefox Adblock. The little floaty ones are harder to catch but you can catch them and block them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:24 am
wow.

I just spent two hours scanning my computer because I thought those pop ups were a sign of spyware on my computer.

Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 02:19 am
There must be a bad ad in the mix. The good news is that it's just a pop up. The bad news is that I'm in a really hectic period right now and don't have time to hunt it down.

More good news is that the solution to all of A2K's problems (as far as I am concerned) is coming sooner as a result of some of the hectic stuff going on for me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 02:26 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
More good news is that the solution to all of A2K's problems (as far as I am concerned) is coming sooner as a result of some of the hectic stuff going on for me.

Will we know the details soon, Craven?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:44 pm
I was getting 2 pop up ads. One was drive cleaner and the other one was error protector.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:13 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

That's again a really good news. Thanks, Craven!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:47 pm
msolga wrote:
.... another odd thing that kept happening earlier in the evening: I kept getting an IE message box telling me something like: "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site able2know, etc, etc ... operation aborted" each time I tried to access a new thread. Then, with a bit of tinkering, I'd get in each time. Weird. Confused

That may well have been some problem at my end, but combined with the pop-ups, I thought something was definitely going haywire with my computer. Everything's back to normal now, though.

I do not think it is a problem at your end msolga, it has also been happening to me numerous times in the past fortnight, and also another local member with whom I've discussed this particular IE message. Wonder if it just happen to us in Australia or other members overseas as well? I was able to overcome the problem by tinkering with the threads until it let me in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:34 am
Thanks, Dutchy.
Good to know that my computer hasn't gone haywire.
It seems to have ceased today (touch wood!). Same with you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:48 am
msolga wrote:

I got that, too. But so far not today.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:31 am
Maybe coincidence, but I started using Vista on Sunday and have no idea what you people are complaining. Somewhere in there, though, I stumbled onto an option (within Vista) as I recall, that would let me turn on popups within a2k. As if. . . !
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 03:18 pm
msolga wrote:
Thanks, Dutchy.

Twice on Saturday msolga, never the same thread, seems just at random.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:08 am
Dutchy wrote:
msolga wrote:
Thanks, Dutchy.

Twice on Saturday msolga, never the same thread, seems just at random.

Dammit! It's back tonight! Sad
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:14 am
msolga wrote:

I had the "unable to open" a couple of times. Haven't had any pop ups though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:25 am
It's the "unable to open" messages that are back, Wilso. Just when I thought I'd seen the last of them!
0 Replies

SamSpade

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 04:27 am
msolga wrote:

I get that too if I'm logged in & try to reply.
If I'm just reading & not logged in, I can 'open' that link.
It doesn't make sense. Confused
0 Replies