Why does the dust come to life

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:57 am
ROS: I agree that science is imminently useful, or I've spent a lot of time in and out of college for nothing.

By the way it was the question
Quote:
how you can specify this thread be totally viewed from the perspective of science - when science has no proof of how life began in the first place.
ThatI was refering to as a bad question not the topic question.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:37 am
Re: Why does the dust come to life
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

As viewed by science. Everything in this thread is from the perspective of science. I think I stated that back in the beginning somewhere.

Sorry - did not see the qualification earlier in the thread. I'm unclear though - on how you can specify this thread be totally viewed from the perspective of science - when science has no proof of how life began in the first place.

If you go to bed at night and there's no snow on the ground, and you wake up the next morning and there's snow on the ground, then it's reasonable to assume that it snowed during the night. The implications of what science has discovered are clear.

Bad analogy.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:38 am
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
...ThatI was refering to as a bad question not the topic question.

Huh?
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 10:01 am
I was referring to Mismi40's response of:
Quote:
Now that is a good question!

To the statement:
Quote:
I'm unclear though - on how you can specify this thread be totally viewed from the perspective of science - when science has no proof of how life began in the first place.

I gave my reasons in the post immediately following Moismi40's post of why I thought that it was:
Quote:
either a complete misunderstanding of the epistemology of science or, more likely, a thinly veiled attempt to use this notion to discredit anything the reader doesn't want to accept as true.

You can reread that post for the complete comment if you wish.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 08:07 am
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

As viewed by science. Everything in this thread is from the perspective of science. I think I stated that back in the beginning somewhere.

Sorry - did not see the qualification earlier in the thread. I'm unclear though - on how you can specify this thread be totally viewed from the perspective of science - when science has no proof of how life began in the first place.

If you go to bed at night and there's no snow on the ground, and you wake up the next morning and there's snow on the ground, then it's reasonable to assume that it snowed during the night. The implications of what science has discovered are clear.

Bad analogy.

Why?

The whole point of the thread is that we don't have to have every little detail of how life started to see clearly where the evidence is leading. Science never has absolute proof, and there are always details left to be discovered.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:29 am
Miller wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:
Wow, what an unrelated post Miller. A fine way of dragging religion into this thread.

The basis of all life is the SOUL. Cool

And here I thought it was Carbon. BTW, I read Genesis, just for sake of arguement, and it doesn't explain this at all. The explanation it offers is above par with the explanation of the sky being blue because the world is flat.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 05:15 am
Creating a soul is pretty easy actually, you just need two parts whimsical and three parts wonder. Add a sprinkle of sugar, spice and everything nice and you're really on your way.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I'm posting this thread in the philosophy section because the subject I want to explore isn't about 'how' life began. It's about the deeper implications of realizing that the dust of this Universe, with no more assistance than simply being what it is, produces life and thought.

How does it make you feel knowing that the 'dust' from the ashes of ancient stars can do this? Does it change your view of the Universe to know this?

I have long thought that "life" is an abomination. But if "life" is merely a phase, a temporary condition that is part of a never ending cycle that can't be stopped or even improved...then I guess everything is tragic...even the air and the dirt. It can all seem so wonderful, sometimes. We get distracted by empty promises and wishful thinking. But it won't last. Sooner or later, we all remember. Unfortunately, it lasts long enough for procreation to continue...a never ending cycle.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:24 pm
You have seen rivers flow and it seems to be living. What you see is a crude system in which energy is flowing. The rain that fell on the mountains collected in crevices and folds of the earth to form rivers. Life is similar except that the systems are organized in the molecular level to form proteins, bones, organs etc. thru the chain-forming properties of carbon. Somehow there is electrical activity and there is life. The whole universe goes thru cycles of order and disorder/chaos and from these cycles systems are formed and they seem to perpetuate themselves such as galaxies and solar systems. The properties of matter and the laws of nature enable it. By order and disorder I mean the big bang then hydrogen gases forming clusters and stars and galaxies. Exploding superstar providing the heavier elements to form dust and thus life.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:30 am
talk72000 wrote:
You have seen rivers flow and it seems to be living. What you see is a crude system in which energy is flowing. The rain that fell on the mountains collected in crevices and folds of the earth to form rivers. Life is similar except that the systems are organized in the molecular level to form proteins, bones, organs etc. thru the chain-forming properties of carbon. Somehow there is electrical activity and there is life. The whole universe goes thru cycles of order and disorder/chaos and from these cycles systems are formed and they seem to perpetuate themselves such as galaxies and solar systems. The properties of matter and the laws of nature enable it. By order and disorder I mean the big bang then hydrogen gases forming clusters and stars and galaxies. Exploding superstar providing the heavier elements to form dust and thus life.

We have to include ourselves in this 'flow' that you're describing however, and we have consciousness, something which seems to be greater than the sum of its parts (or simple exchange of energy).
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
I am only describing the material aspect but the conceptual part is an adaptation of the brain that allows a self actualizing mechanism such as ourselves to abstract the inputs of the environment and thus make decisions to react and thus self-perpetuate.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:49 pm
Naturally, at some point all the star-forming material such as the hydrogen gas floating around the universe will be consumed and the stars will exhaust their fuel. Black holes will form and all the black holes will attract each other as there nothing to offset the gravitational effect and a giant black hole will ensue and thus another big bang is in the offing as a new universe is born.
0 Replies