Mentally Impaired Adults

Tarah

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:47 pm
On Tuesday I'll be teaching a group of mentally impaired adults at a day centre how to write poetry for an hour.

Would you have any opinion whether I should get them to write a group poem or individually. Should I give them a choice of two topics?

I've been told they all have different problems. A couple of them have been to university and are pretty smart. I don't intend to patronise them but don't want to talk over the heads of those who are not terribly aware.

Any tips would be gratefully received.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,194 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:52 pm
What I've been learning is to assess what students know before getting into a lesson. But, you're there for just an hour....? Hmmm...

Once I had a creative writing course where we were told to draw two strips of paper out of two different 'hats'. One was a noun and one was an adjective. These two would be our title and the topic of our story. Would that work with poetry?

Maybe have a list of topics at the ready and offer them those choices if they need help? Have some work on poems solo and some in groups?
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:39 am
littlek, one of the problems is that although some may have degrees in English, others may not know what a noun or adjective are. Again, I don't know how many will be in the class, depends how many turn up on the day. Could be only one or perhaps 20.

I think I'll have a list of topics, as you suggest, and ask them whether they'd like to work together or individually.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
Just don't plan on having a one way teaching style. Flexibility will be key here.

I'm curious, how do you do a poetry workshop in just an hour?
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:19 pm
littlek, I'll tell you how I run a poetry workshop in an hour after I've done it! Keep your fingers crossed for me that it goes smoothly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:16 pm
Good luck! And do let me know!
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:47 am
It didn't go too badly, littlek.

There were ten adults, three of whom write poetry far superior to anything I have attempted. Three wrote mediocre poetry and the other four only wanted to listen. They're all on medication which, in some cases, stunts their creativity (I didn't know this but that's what I found out).

Some wanted to write as a group, others individually, others wanted to read their own work and the rest wanted not to participate except to listen. It wasn't easy!

The upshot is that I've been asked to go back regularly each fortnight to run a workshop and encourage them to write although I won't actually "teach" them anything, simply guide them.

They had been promised an anthology of their work by their last leader but she didn't get round to it. If they still want it, I'll help them achieve it.

All in all, I'm happy with the outcome.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:54 am
That's great! Too bad about the meds....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:38 pm
Tarah--

Good for you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:56 pm
Thanks for your support.

I think for one workshop I'll take in samplers of paint colour and ask them to choose one and write about what it means to them.

For another I may take in an empty photo frame and ask them to write a poem about whose picture they'd like to see in it.

Any other ideas gratefully received!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
I always enjoyed "perspective" exercises. Write from the perspective of a (dog, baby, president of the United States, space alien, etc...)

Sounds like you did really well with a tough teaching assignment, Tarah, good work.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:12 pm
That's a great idea, sozobe. I think that will make for a very interesting session.

I think my main problem is that I've never attended a writing class or a workshop and so I'm not sure of the "right way" to run a group. They asked me to run it because I write poetry. I'm happy to learn though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:28 pm
Tarah--

Excellent jumping-off points.
0 Replies