p.3 of WHO POSTED THIS?

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:28 am
3rd
Quote:
Dismal is the description I choose. My first trip to a real desert, and all I could think was how UGLY I thought it all was. Aw, well let me be a bit more honest. I didn't think it was all UGLY- just dismal. There were no trees. Everywhere I have ever been in my LIFE, but there, TREES live. The stubby growth they called 'trees' were not as big as a weed in Mississippi. Northern Oklahoma has better looking places (and I promised me to NOT live there again). The ground was NOT soil. I don't know what it was. Just funny ground. Some kind of sandy... or gritty. No grass. LOTS and lots of cacti. Just like in the comic strip- when Peanuts doggie, Snoopy- visits his cousin. (Or was that his brother- oh, I don't remember. I just remember the cacti). Then, there were rather elegant mountains. Small mountains in the distance, irregularly shaped; and different coloured. So that was not bad. The other nice thing was the WEATHER! I visited in the dead of Winter (in New York) but not in the desert!! Shirt-sleeve temperature. Then we drove through a little 'settlement'. I suppose since they had a post office, one police car and a store, they called themselves a town. But it was a 'stained', soiled looking little settlement to me. They were rude on the highway, plus I was stopped by the ONLY fat cop there was, for nothing but BEING there. I am sure he just wanted to look at us, up and down, over and under. After his nosy questions, he said "Have a good trip". Boy, I wonder if that made his day, or conversation in the local brew house? Driving for MILES through nothing but grey, black, adobe red, and stubble strewn country, makes you LONG for a city street and big CocaCola sign. Or maybe I am just 'a city slicker', without meaning to be? In defense, I sigh- "Even big cities have parks with green grass, and a shade tree." Out there in the desert, if you got stranded, I think the story would STILL be like the old 'death valley' movies- bones bleaching in the sun. Uh... Hello Alaska.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:42 am
Hmmmm, not a man a woman. From NY? And SILLY. Hmmm
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:49 am
4th
Quote:
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 03:33 pm
5th
Quote:
Thanks for your commentary- I might visit the desert again sometime, hopefully in a different season, and see if that makes a difference.
Joanne, I have been to Phoenix. They "carved" a CITY out of that dry land, didn't they? The bright tile roofs on the houses there, fascinate me.
I have been to the Ocean more than once, _____ - and I LOVE it. But staring out, over ALL that water, takes my breath away, and frightens me a little. It is very beautiful, however.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:51 pm
Joan Dark?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 07:28 pm
6th
Quote:
Good noon Letty- Yes, I quite understand 'transfixation' in the light of such greatness. Has America ever had a leader who LOVED his people more?? Chief Joseph's story is remarkable and a stand-out.
But I haven't read up on the nez-perce tribe as much as other more famous ones. I can't really call myself a knowledgeable expert or well- read in Indian lore, but I have a great interest.
Yes, I did write the little rhyme. {While it is never earth shaking}, I find self expression easier in the rhythm of poetry.

I'm looking forward to your next poetry or prose.

_ _ _ _ _ _
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:08 pm
Cobalt?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:51 pm
Piffka?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 10:15 pm
Clue: The Honeymooners

_ a _ _ _ _
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 01:20 am
Jackie???
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 01:37 am
Your Momma would be proud Exclamation

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS JACKIE.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 4 of ten:

Quote:
The poem gives us three little girls at the seashore. Each has a very different experience from the others. The ending is: "it's always yourself you find at the sea." (This may not be the exact wording.) I keep thinking e.e.cummings, but have been unable to find it in collections of his poems.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 01:42 am
Letty?

I remember this one, but, whoooooooooo
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 05:32 am
2nd
Quote:
Over the first few days as I held my baby, his size, weight and shape moved me to call him J.Pot, which then became J.H.Little pot, which changed to J.H.Bunnypot, then J.H.Bunnypot Beeper B. For his first year Bunnypot or Beeper got some use. Then we both outgrew them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:57 am
I know the second quote, but not who posted it! Argh!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:58 am
Same here, littlek...very cute quote.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:43 am
3rd
Quote:
Saw it this evening. Very funny movie. Would place it as third favorite after Spinal Tap and Best in Show. So many laughs and all character driven and unexpected. Eugene Levy, who gets a left and a right foot in this one, is painfully funny and really very touching as Mitch.

Have loved folkmusic going back to Burl Ives, The Weavers, Odetta, Bob Dylan in all his metamorphoses, A Mighty Wind brought back lots of memories through a sweetly askew lens.

Extra clue: NYC
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:29 am
nextone
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:38 pm
We have a WINNER! THE CORRECT ANSWER IS NEXTONE.

WHO POSTED THIS?

Author 5 of ten: (Where's Gautam? He's missing out.)

1st
Quote:
Jennifer pauses to grin at her reflection in the hallway mirror, then skips out the front door, car keys in hand.

On her way to Ed's, she passes a large pile of ash surrounded by a dozen police cars and yellow tape. Recognizing the scene from the TV news report and panicked by all the police cars, Jennifer tosses her stash out the window without thinking. The baggie lands at the front paws of a police dog, which then gives chase followed by two uniformed officers with guns drawn. The cops fire at the car, shooting out two tires, which makes the car spin...right into...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:42 pm
Wow, I remember the thread but not the contributor... Confused
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:42 pm
realjohnboy, maybe?
0 Replies