Restaurants of Italy

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:45 pm
I received an email recently with a link to a restaurant near Lucca which is owned and run by distant relatives and located in my ancestors' home valley. I ate at their previous restaurant and it was fabulous - I imagine this one is as well. It is in an old milling building which I visited before they renovated. The link is below.

I can only remember one other restaurant from my brief visit to the area, but I can't recall its name. It was set on a mountain-side river and was a traditional old pizzeria with an over you could roast a side of bull in, long solid wood tables, stone floors and lots of meat. If I can find the name, I'll post it.

Have you been to Italy? Food is so ultimately important here, that it is no doubt that you remember a restaurant or ten. Share them!

Molin Della Volpe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,146 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
One of my favorite meals in Italy was at this place - it's on the Chiantigiana road (S222) near Panzano..

http://www.montagliari.it/ristorante_uk.html

the vineyards -
http://www.montagliari.it/fattoria_uk.html

The room we ate in one afternoon in March had a woodburning fireplace roaring away, fantastic food, and, naturally, delicious wine. (I've gone on about their torta di mele here on a2k before.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
(You know me, I'll be back with more restaurants..)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Osso, I was expecting you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
from a website called Divina Cucina -

Torta di Mele Montagliari

Each area in Italy has some sort of apple cake, but this one is my favorite. Golden Delicious apples, sliced paper thin, baked in almost a crepe batter until caramelized! It's heaven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and some of Giovanni Cappelli's Salsa di Mosto. (The traditional balsamic vinegar from Modena is a rich, sweet concentrate made without vinegar, as is Cappelli's Salsa di Mosto. Don't use the inexpensive grocery store versions which are okay for a salad, but not ice cream!)

5 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced paper thin
2 eggs, extra large
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
7 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
Powdered sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and lightly flour two round pizza pans or a 9x13 lasagne pan.

Beat the eggs and sugar together and add the flour, baking powder, milk, butter and vanilla. Mix well. Add the apple slices and pour into the prepared pan. Place the pan on the bottom of the oven for 10 minutes, then place in the center of the oven to cook until golden, about 1 hour. Torta di Mele is a very thin, rich cake that will bake down to about one-half inch. It will cut easier if you let it cool before serving. But you can reheat it in the oven before serving.

Montagliari has cooking instruction too...
sigh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:25 pm
I ate here each afternoon in Lucca - (look at the different rooms and patio). It looks expensive, but I didn't pig out and it was always very pleasant.

http://www.locandadellangelo.it/pagina.asp?LG=IT&PG=2

In Viterbo, Le Torre wine bar and restaurant. Can't find much about it online, but that was where I first ran into the Slow Food movement (they had a little table with brochures.) I remember the meal was great, but I most remember that they didn't charge me for a whole bottle of Brunello (my extravagance of the trip, which was 29 days on your basic shoestring)... but for the two glasses I did have.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:09 pm
Our first restaurant in Rome, not selected from any guide book but because it was the first place we ran across when we were hungry. We'd just come from the American Embassy on via Veneto, fixing my passport stuff. Anyway, it was a charming place and turns out to be a well respected restaurant. We were still in high-jet-lag, and our meal was restorative. I gather reservations are important...

Da Tullio, near piazza Barberini -

http://www.tullioristorante.it/chi_siamo.html#

The place in Rome where I got the amazing fried artichoke, like a toasted flower.. one day I'll post a photo:
Da Settimio all'Arancio near Via Corso and Piazza San Lorenzo on Via dell' Arancio 50. ...
(not much online info)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I ate here each afternoon in Lucca - (look at the different rooms and patio). It looks expensive, but I didn't pig out and it was always very pleasant.

http://www.locandadellangelo.it/pagina.asp?LG=IT&PG=2

Wow, this looks lovely!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:22 pm
I get hooked on ristoranti/trattorie wherever I am over there. Many places out of tourist zones are terrific and when you go back a second time, they remember you... (hopefully not for the cloddy clothes).
Lucca has several good restaurants, at least by reviews I've read. And now I know about your place...
I tend to have my "meal" in the afternoon, and in the evening go to an alimentaria and get olives and cheese, etc. Aaack, time for a trip.

I've got more to add, but don't want to be a restaurant posting hog.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:47 pm
There's no one else here posting! And in using "near Lucca", I was being a little optimistic.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:57 pm
WEll, I've been to so many restaurants in Italy - really good ones,
but I don't remember any of the names at all.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:09 pm
i'll see if i can get some places from my sister...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:24 am
My favorite is "Fontana Candida" at Monteporzio Catone, just a little south Rome Smile

Fabulous for both fish and meat.

And "O Masto 2" in Rocca Priora, for the best pizza around Rome...
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:41 am
And "I Torquati", Via Manlio Torquato 3, Rome... Traditional Roman food
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:39 am
Memorizing Raphillon's restaurants....
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 02:31 am
Saturday I went to Alberto Ciarla, in trastevere, via manara. Fabulous seafood, quite expensive, but worth your money :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:58 am
I'm going to google those restaurants/locations for fun..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:44 am
- a map that shows Monte porzio catone -
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/058/064/mappa.html

You can find Rocca priora by looking arount the map with various arrows (to the southeast), and find Lago Albano to the southwest.

O Masto 2

dei Torquati (near the Via Appia Nuova)

Back in a bit with Trastevere map
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:48 am
Alberto Ciarla

Piazza di S. Cosimato/via Manara are right to the left of the T in Trastevere...

http://www.rome-accom.com/images/map-trastevere.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:56 pm
I looked up this chef after a mention of him in a NYTimes article about another chef....

and found a restaurant I'd love to go to if I ever find myself in Milan.

This link also has some terrific recipes (click on photos at the bottom of the page).

Gualtiero Marchesi
0 Replies