Just for us old people

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:29 am
BBB, Some items on your list brought back many more memories.

BBB wrote== parentheses are mine:

Quote:
Cars with rumble seats and side running boards

{Especially the running boards--my father would let me get out onto the running board, then drive under my favorite tree which I would climb without my feet ever touching the ground.}

Radio programs: The Shadow, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger
{And Roy Rogers, my hero at the time.}

The Saturday Evening Post and Norman Rockwell magazine covers

Girls putting their hair in pincurls everynight
{And even sleeping in rollers!-how did we do it?}

Saddle shoes --{they make a comeback every now and then--I love 'em}

Getting two mail delivers each day--{I had completely forgotten this one and there were at least two newspapers}

Drinking Coca Cola along with aspirin to get drunk----]---My girlfriend and I convinced outselves that we were drunk after adding aspirin to Coke--even adding it secretly in case the waitress threw us out for being 'fallen women." At times, we would also pour peanuts into a Coke for a salty-sweet flavor}
[/QUOTE
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
Diane
Diane, I still don't like ironing. Despite that, I took in ironing for a few months when my children were very small and I couldn't take a job to supplement my husband's salary when we needed to buy a new car. I hated ironing even more after that.

BBB
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:38 pm
IRONING !?
my mother had an old-fashioned mangle and it was often my job to provide the power "mangling" the sheets and pillow-cases . i actually liked to "crank the mangle up" to see the sheets flying through .
in the 50's the sheets etc. were taking to a laundry that had a "steam mangle" - a great big monster with clouds of steam bweing emitted .

nowadays : mrs h and i just stretch the no-iron sheets and put them on the beds .
(mrs h is sometimes afraid that her sister might visit from germany : SHE WOULD NOT APPROVE ! "how can you put sheets on your beds that have NOT been ironed PROPERLY" , she would say :wink: )
hbg
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:58 am
Kids Saturday movie shows, post WW2. The good old b/w westerns. The hero who not only found the stolen bank money, he saved the girl and also uncovered the gang of bad guys in their secret hideout. All done without spilling more than a thimbleful of blood. Our hero could shoot a Colt 45 out of someone's hand & not break a single finger. All done before sunset. Innocent days when growing up was a slower process. Hopalong Cassidy, where are you now? A faded image in an old comic book?
We now live in an increasingly more violent world. The movie makers & TV news discovered the reality of guns, bombs, missiles.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
Quote:
We now live in an increasingly more violent world. The movie makers & TV news discovered the reality of guns, bombs, missiles

i have to admit that some forty years ago ehbeth and i watched some "violent" afternoon shows while mrs h was preparing supper - she wasn't keen on watching them !
let's try and recall :
- the three stooges - OUCH !
- andy of mayberry - barney holding a six-shooter - pretty violent Shocked
- maxwell smart - particularly when don rickles made a guest appearance and the whole cast started laughing violently at his antics ,
- the roadrunner - now there was violence !
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
10 cent Saturday matinees
We lived one block from the local theater. My mother would give me 25 cents to go to Saturday 10 cent matinees. The most scary serials were the Flash Gordon films. I remember leaving the theater early and running all the way home after watching Flash Gordon (Buster Crabbe) fight a giant octopus. I didn't even bother going to the ice cream parlor to get my usual 15 cent chocolate malt.

BBB

The allure of the classic FLASH GORDON serials is their swashbuckling nature. FLASH GORDON was a "all american hero" who became popular during the Great Depression. During those days people loved the escape from reality this "daring do" style of science fiction provided. For a few hours the people of those times could enjoy the movie and the Gordon serial that came on before it. With these serials...the good guy was good, the bad guys were bad, and the rocket ships looked like sparklers on strings or styrofoam mock ups with a firecracker in the back. What Flash lacked in technical know how, he made up for in clean cut adventure. Flash fought hordes of bad guys armed with only a sword or zap gun (or both if the budget permitted it.) Guys like ARNOLD, SLY, or Harrison Ford are direct descendants of America's first mainstream sci fi action hero BUSTER CRABBE. Without these serials there would have been no audience for STAR WARS or the other sci-fi efforts that have followed. FLASH GORDON was a trendsetter to say the least!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:31 am
bbb wrote :

Quote:
I didn't even bother going to the ice cream parlor to get my usual 15 cent chocolate malt.

i sure hope you gave those 15 cents back to your mother ... or did you perhaps ? no , you wouldn't , would you ? Shocked :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 12:09 pm
Hamburger
hamburger wrote:
bbb wrote:
Quote:
I didn't even bother going to the ice cream parlor to get my usual 15 cent chocolate malt.

i sure hope you gave those 15 cents back to your mother ... or did you perhaps ? no , you wouldn't , would you ? Shocked :wink:
hbg

I have to admit that I don't remember, but I did tell my mother about being scared. My logical brain would say that I kept the 15 cents because my mother gave it to me and it would be applied to next Saturday's adventure.

BBB
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 12:34 pm
bbb :
the 15 c were no doubt a reward for running home quickly ! :wink:

since getting to school from where we lived in hamburg (right in the harbour) meant taking the ferry or about a 40 minute walk , the schoolboard gave students living in the harbour free ferry-tickets .
if i had some time on my hands (which boy doesn't ?) , i would sometimes walk home and sell the ferry-tickets to some school buddies who were eager to go for a ferry-ride at "half-price" - 5 pfennig/cents .
i guess that's what in business is now being called a WIN-WIN deal ; i had 5 cents and the other kid had a ride at half-price - and would probably tell his mother it cost him 10 cents !
seems like we were some shrewd JUNIOR business tycoons .
hbg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 12:43 pm
Shrewd business people? Sounds like clever, but naughty little boys to me. :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
diane :

Quote:
Shrewd business people? Sounds like clever, but naughty little boys to me.

NOOO ! :wink:
we were just way ahead of our times . you have no doubt heard our business leaders talk about the latest "WIN-WIN" deal - that's what we were achieving : "WIN-WIN" deals :wink: Exclamation
hbg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 01:48 pm
I was recently told a money saving tip from the "old days" by a lady who grew up in Scotland. Her cousins lived in a tenement and had no indoor plumbing so once a week her aunt sent her two young sons to the public baths. For one penny each they were given a clean towel and the bath lady unlocked a room with a tub for each of them. The older one started telling the bath lady that his mother had insisted he accompany the younger one to make sure he washed behind his ears etc. Of course they then shared the tub and towel but then had one penny left over to buy toffee on the way home!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
JPB wrote:
All except three --

Butch wax
S & 16 Hi-fi's (although I remember Hi-fi's)
Packards (I remember them, but don't recall seeing them on the road in my day)

same 3 for me Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:03 pm
Has anyone mentioned the banana seat bikes?

Remember those? I had a yellow one with a flowered banana seat and that was the most comfortable bike, until someone stole it while I was in Woolworth's one day Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:33 pm
Like this, Montana? The only things missing from this photo are the colorful long, plastic streamers on the handlebar handles and the gawdy paint jobs.

http://www.patioculture.net/chopper.gif
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:42 pm
Here's my bike, except my seat had flowers on it.

http://images.craigslist.org/01020501030801040820070824a20bd948c8d806d0ef0014fe.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:43 pm
BN, I remember those as being the boys banana bike. The poor boys had the bar going across at the top.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 05:18 pm
how about THREE-PIECE SUITS (back in style again ?)
even i wore them - with TIGHT-fitting collar and wide tie - GASP !
hbg

http://www.back-in-style.com/files/cartier-three-piecei-suit-4.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:43 am
Zoot Suits
The Zoot Suit era:

http://invention.smithsonian.org/centerpieces/whole_cloth/u7sf/u7materials/cosgrove.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:45 am
Hair styles, hats and snoods ca 1939-1940
Hair styles, hats and snoods ca 1939-1940

http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_8a_hairstyles_history_1930_1940.htm
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:21:53