Just for us old people

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:58 pm
Absolutely, lunch counter at Woolworth's, mostly with my mother in NYC and Chicago. (Need I mention the Automat and PIE to those of age in NY?)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:03 pm
osso, my aunt lives in Schenectady and oftentimes spoke of the Automat, but I never went myself.

Woolworth's lunch counter... pre-McDonald's days, the high school kids would gather downtown (when downtown was the place to be) and hang out at Woolworth's after school. I don't think we had a local diner so Woolworth's was our option du jour.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:18 pm
http://its-coffeetime.de/images/kunde/div/kaffee_muehle.jpg

when we left germany we had several suitcases and also two crates with china and kitchen utensils !
one of the items that is still being used on occasion is the COFFEE MILL !
just love to sit on a chair and grind away like a monkey grinding the organ :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Montana, A good lesson is, no matter how desperate life may seem at times, it can change for the better. Who would have ever thought how dramatic the changes would be later in life.

You're so right CI. I may not be rich, but I have a nice home, paid in full and my bills get paid. I would have thought of this as rich when I was a kid and, actually, I still do. I feel rich :-D

You're not doin too bad there either, CI ;-)

Who would have known :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:37 pm
JPB wrote:
How 'bout the lunch counter at Woolworth's? Any memories there?

I loved the lunch counter at woolworth's!!! Mom would take me and my brother every once in a great while when she needed a few things and she always made sure she had enough money for us to eat at the lunch counter.
There were a group of older men who hung out there and I would listen to their stories while we ate.
I remember the food being pretty good.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:43 pm
Yes! Green stamps! That was exciting as was looking through the catalogue.

Drug store lunch counters. Fountain Cokes were so much better and I could, when there was extra money, get a strawberry ice cream soda for 15 cents.

My grandparents had a feather bed. What luxury!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
Diane, my grandma had a feather "tick" too -- I loved it. As a teenager I would take the bus in to the big city for all the sophisticated stuff my small town lacked -- if I was flush with babysitting $ it was Chinese food. I'd go to Celia Hardcastle's for sheet music and end off the day with tea at the lunch counter at the "Met" (Metropolitan store -- like Woolworth's) where they always asked "Milk or lemon?" True sophistication Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:30 pm
Oh honey, I was at least 21 before anyone asked me if I wanted 'milk or honey.' You obviously have what it takes, while I, hick that I was, took years to be asked that question.

Gawd, some people have all the luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:31 pm
Montana wrote:
JPB wrote:
How 'bout the lunch counter at Woolworth's? Any memories there?

I loved the lunch counter at woolworth's!!! Mom would take me and my brother every once in a great while when she needed a few things and she always made sure she had enough money for us to eat at the lunch counter.
There were a group of older men who hung out there and I would listen to their stories while we ate.
I remember the food being pretty good.

I learned about tipping waitresses at the Woolworth's lunch counter. I was having lunch with my mother and she left some change on the counter. I started to pick it up and give it to her but she stopped me, explaining it was for the server. WHAT A DEAL! I wanted to be a waitress at the lunch counter so people would leave money on the counter for me. What could be better than getting money for carrying a plate of food? I was ready to take a job on the spot.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:38 pm
Laughing Yeah, the job looked pretty glamorous back then :-D

I was a waitress for about 6 months when I was 15-16 and the tips weren't bad :-D
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:40 pm
I left Evanston, well, along with my mother and father, when I was thirteen.
But also at thirteen, my friends and I hung out at Cooley's Cupboard once in a while, which was, I dunno, a soda fountain/french fries type place - can't remember the street name, but a main cross street near Davis.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:48 pm
Re: Just for us old people
au1929 wrote:

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it." "

Yeah, but you see, when I was growing up, we always had two choices - "Take it" or Leave it"
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:50 pm
{{{{{{{{{{ Roger! }}}}}}}}}} how ya doing? When are you coming to ABQ?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:52 pm
Re: Just for us old people
roger wrote:
au1929 wrote:

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it." "

Yeah, but you see, when I was growing up, we always had two choices - "Take it" or Leave it"

Our choices were to eat it or sit at the kitchen table until bedtime. I spent many hours at the kitchen table.

<waves to Roger>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:59 pm
<waves>

I guess I was kind of waiting on an invitation, Diane. Having a bad day, actually. I can't get on the bike without a step stool, or something, and once on, I'm having a terrible time keeping my balance. And suddenly, I'm missing my Barney cat. Delayed reaction kind of thing.

Hope I didn't spoil a good thread, Au
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:02 pm
Well then sweetie, you need to get yourself down here. Jane and Bernie will be here next week and shewolf, hubby and little Bean will be here the first week in Sept. My sone and his girlfriend will be here the first week in Oct. So anytime during, between or after is fine with us.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm
roger wrote:
<waves>

I guess I was kind of waiting on an invitation, Diane. Having a bad day, actually. I can't get on the bike without a step stool, or something, and once on, I'm having a terrible time keeping my balance. And suddenly, I'm missing my Barney cat. Delayed reaction kind of thing.

Hope I didn't spoil a good thread, Au

((((((((Roger))))))))
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
Diane wrote:
Oh honey, I was at least 21 before anyone asked me if I wanted 'milk or honey.' You obviously have what it takes, while I, hick that I was, took years to be asked that question.

Gawd, some people have all the luck.

Laughing Diane, I was probably around 17 but looked about 12!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 07:33 pm
When I was 12, I looked like I was 17 Shocked
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 08:19 pm
Oh yea! You and me both, Montana. Now I look umm... let's not go there.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:38:47