Just for us old people

flyboy804

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:48 pm
Thanx, C.I. It all comes back now-way back.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:57 pm
Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& 16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

i remember 1-7, 14, 17-19, 23

so that's 12 and i'm 45
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:00 pm
25, just call me Dirt.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:03 pm
My dear, lovable Dys, are you claiming to be 25 years old? I admit I'm 2 years older thn you, but I'm WAY over 27.

I'll have to start calling you my boy toy... Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:10 pm
25, thinking this was concocted by some boomer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:17 pm
1. Blackjack chewing gum
That was the "other" chewing gum other than Wrigleys 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
I was foolish enough to buy some of those.
3. Candy cigarettes
Chocolate ones 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Soft drinks also in coke coolers.
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
Just like American Graffiti. 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
They usually had some cream floating on top too!7. Party lines
Listening to some "private" conversions, then saying, "may I use the phone please?".
8. Newsreels before the movie
And some cartoons. Really loved them Saturday matinees with Roy Rogers.9. P.F. Flyers
They didn't even fly that good.
10. Butch wax
Crew cut anyone?
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
Must'a been before the 60's.
12. Peashooters
We used spit balls too!
13. Howdy Doody
Time!14. 45 RPM records
15. S& 16 Hi-fi's
Still have some sitting in our garage.17. Metal ice trays with lever
That's if you had a frig.
18. Mimeograph paper
It was sooooo messy!19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
Not that popular. 21. Roller skate keys
Had to have em to fix them on your Gallen Kamp shoes.
22. Cork popguns
Never owned one.
23. Drive-ins
We had one in Fremont, California, until we left in the early seventies. 24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers
And the wash boards to go with it.

Were they really the "good old days?"
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:29 pm
when i started to work in an office in canada , i was surprised to find that a bell started to ring 5 minutes before working time , again at start of working time , for coffee breaks , lunch time and again for CLOSING TIME ! RIIIINNNG !
this lasted well into the '60's !
the senior clerks in each department - not the supervisors ! - had to record attendance !
clerical staff were given a half day a month for medical appointments etc. if they had a perfect attendance - be late once and you'd lose your half-day !

i sure wasn't used to that working in germany !
hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:57 pm
Green stamps. Boy do I miss the green stamps. I spent many of hours helping mom paste the stamps in the green stamp books.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
I also miss the big old tub with the feet. Mom had a hard time getting me out of there and I always looked like a prune after my baths.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 05:59 pm
Diane wrote:
My dear, lovable Dys, are you claiming to be 25 years old? I admit I'm 2 years older thn you, but I'm WAY over 27.

I'll have to start calling you my boy toy... Cool

You go girl ;-)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:12 pm
Montana wrote:
I also miss the big old tub with the feet. Mom had a hard time getting me out of there and I always looked like a prune after my baths.

Oh, yeah! S&H Green Stamps. We had a redemption center nearby. It was a big day when you got to go to the redemption center and shop.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:20 pm
JPB, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was one excited kid as we walked to the green stamp store.

Mom just couldn't walk fast enough Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:34 pm
This thread has really got me smiling a lot and it reminds me of how much joy you can get out of the most simple things in life.

We were poor, but I sure as hell didn't feel poor. We had everything we needed and we kids always had something to do (usually outside) with things we made ourselves.
We built tree houses, fixed up old broken bikes that we were given, had snow ball fights, played games we invented ourselves, and the list goes on.
Those are the best memories of my life and it makes me sad for the kids today because they're missing out on a lot of stuff, exercise, etc, because they're always planted in front of a tv, computer, video games, etc, instead of enjoying the great outdoors.
When I was a kid, if it was sunny outside, I was outside.

Too bad kids don't go outside anymore Sad
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:38 pm
I think this thread should be subtitled, "Those were the days, my friend."

I get the mix-up on the list now....

15 S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi fi's

Ok, I'm down to two. Butch wax (I've since looked it up) and Packards (although I'll take 1/2 point for that one)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:45 pm
Montana, You think you were poor! LOL I bet you were "middle class" compared to us.

During the war, our family of five lived in one room about 18X25 feet with one pot belly wooden stove in the middle of the room at Tule Lake concentration camp. It was tar papered barracks without any insulation, with the wooden floor where dust came through on dusty days. After the war, we lived in a huge house with four or five other families where all the women and children slept in the living room, and the men shared the other rooms in the house. Everything was communal style. After that, we moved to classrooms at the buddhist church converted into rooms with army blankets as walls. Our family had two rooms. I "knew" we were poor.

I'm really surprised at how far my siblings have come, but more so about how well our children are doing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:49 pm
Nods to CI, same with my old boss... only he and family were sent to Wyoming.

Yer looking at Kingsbridge 60622 (Bronx).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:51 pm
Yup CI, that's poor.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:54 pm
How 'bout the lunch counter at Woolworth's? Any memories there?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:55 pm
Montana, A good lesson is, no matter how desperate life may seem at times, it can change for the better. Who would have ever thought how dramatic the changes would be later in life.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:57 pm
Woolworths had a good counter service on Market Street in San Francisco on Powell. Ate there several times during the old days.

While in high school, I worked at a drug store with a fountain. I made some mean milk shakes.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:02:08