Jews, Catholics Bid Farewell to Jewish-born French Cardinal

Miller

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:48 pm
Last update - 22:33 10/08/2007

Jews, Catholics bid farewell to Jewish-born French cardinal
By The Associated Press

A sacred Jewish prayer read beneath the sculpted saints of Notre Dame Cathedral opened funeral proceedings Friday for Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger, archbishop of Paris, who was born Jewish and converted to Roman Catholicism as a boy.

Lustiger, who lost his mother in the Holocaust and later devoted himself to healing the wounds between Catholics and Jews, had requested that his funeral include both faiths. He died Sunday at age 80 in a Paris hospice.

Hundreds of people, including prominent Jewish leaders of France, Holocaust survivors and French President Nicolas Sarkozy, gathered to see Lustiger's coffin carried through the crowd and placed on the stone square in front of the 12th century Notre Dame.

Lustiger's grand-nephew read a psalm in Hebrew and French, and placed a bowl of earth gathered from meaningful Jewish and Christian sites in the Holy Land.

An 83-year-old Nazi death camp survivor and cousin of the cardinal, Arno Lustiger, then led the reading of the Mourner's Kaddish, among a series of prayers central to Jewish worship.

Lustiger's sucessor Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois said Lustiger wanted the members of his family, Jews and Christians, and his friends to say some traditional prayers for the dead.

The ceremony then moved inside the landmark cathedral, where Vingt-Trois led a funeral Mass.

Hundreds gathered outside despite the drizzly chill to watch the ceremony on huge screens.

One mourner carried a sign reading Sons and Daughters of the Deported Jews of France. Some 75,000 Jews were deported from France to Nazi concentration camps during World War II, and fewer than 3,000 survived.

Lustiger's faith remained complex throughout his life - he never rejected his Jewish identity, and the multifaith funeral appeared to be a symbol of that.

He always claimed he was still a Jew, which caused a certain amount of anxiety and concern within parts of the Jewish community, said Rev. John T. Pawlikowski, president of the International Council of Christians and Jews.

"It is highly unusual for the Mourner's Kaddish to be read among mourners for a convert from Judaism," said Rabbi Joel Roth, an expert on Jewish law at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in New York.

"It's important to emphasize that it's not possible to be both Jewish and Catholic," he said. "That is what this could suggest to some people."

Lustiger's coffin will be placed in Notre Dame's crypt.

Sarkozy, whose grandfather was Jewish but who was raised Catholic, interrupted his U.S. vacation to attend Lustiger's funeral, before jetting back to Maine for lunch the next day with U.S. President George W. Bush.

Aaron Lustiger was born in 1926 in Paris to Polish immigrant parents who ran a hosiery shop. As an adolescent, he was sent to the town of Orleans, 130 kilometers (80 miles) south of the capital, to take refuge from the occupying Nazis. There, Lustiger, who was not a practicing Jew, converted to Catholicism at the age of 14, taking the name Jean-Marie.

He was ordained a priest in 1954, and served as chaplain to students at the Sorbonne University. Lustiger climbed up the church hierarchy before becoming archbishop of Paris, a post he held for 24 years before stepping down in 2005.

Lustiger remained a grassroots figure, creating a Christian radio station, Radio Notre Dame, in 1981 and expounding on issues from the August 2003 heat wave that killed thousands of people in France to the building of a united Europe.

He also respected his Jewish heritage.

"For me, it was never for an instant a question of denying my Jewish identity. On the contrary," he said in Le Choix de Dieu (The Choice of God), conversations published in 1987.

Haaretz.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:14 pm
Was there a point in posting this article?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:56 am
Is there a point to your question? Cool
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:44 pm
i thought it was a great article and straight up all the way. after all, Jesus was a Jew, no? good read.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:55 pm
I understand this posting is on the Spirituality & Religion forum; however, I would think that if this news was posted on the forum, the poster would be posting it for a reason to make some point. Without specifying what piqued the poster's interest, I can only make wild guesses. Perhaps, something should interest the reader because the news is about a Jew that became a Catholic and rose to a fairly high position within the clergy???? Well Catholic with a small "c" means universal, so this doesn't surprise me.
My point is the article, to my jaded opinion, is comparitively mundane. I would have preferred an article about French Nuns that saved Jewish children in Nazi occupied Paris, right under the nose of Nazi soldiers (the Jewish children went to their school). This happened, but why don't we hear about it?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:59 am
Foofie wrote:
... I would have preferred an article about French Nuns ...

Please be my guest... Cool
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:37 am
Miller wrote:
Foofie wrote:

If we never read of such courageous actions, there must be a reason. It's not for me to play Town Crier.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
Foofie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Foofie wrote:

If we never read of such courageous actions, there must be a reason.

And what could that reason be? Cool
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
It's none of my business. Those involved had plenty of time to make it public, so if it wasn't made public, there is a reason. It's not for me to play Town Crier.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
Foofie wrote:
... so if it wasn't made public, there is a reason.

What's the reason? Cool
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:10 am
I don't know why we haven't heard of such courageous actions during WWII? But, if the Catholic Church wants to keep such courageous actions out of the public eye, it's not for me to play Town Crier. Just in the way of conjecture, don't you think such actions would have been putting in jeopardy a lot of Catholic Parisians if the Nazis found out? How many parents of Catholic children in such a school would have been happy to find out, after the war, that their children's safety might have been compromised by such efforts to save Jewish children. Just a thought!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:15 am
Google is your friend.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:11 am
Quote:
"It is highly unusual for the Mourner's Kaddish to be read among mourners for a convert from Judaism," said Rabbi Joel Roth, an expert on Jewish law at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in New York.

"It's important to emphasize that it's not possible to be both Jewish and Catholic," he said. "That is what this could suggest to some people."

In death, what was the final message left to the French ( and others ) by this Archbishop?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:26 am
What I learned from this article is: one can't be an Archbishop (or any other level of Catholic clergy for that matter), unless one first converts to Catholicism. I'm guessing this is true also for other religions. In effect, to me, most (all?) religions are like restricted clubs, so to speak.

I have no idea what the "final message left to the French ( and others ) by this Archbishop" could be. Far be it for me to interpret all this apparent hoopla, over one converted Jew rising to a position of eminence in the Catholic church.

However, in my own worthless opinion, it may mean very little, since Jesus never converted from Judaism (was a Rabbi only - aka "teacher," not a priest), and he's the one all these Catholics are following.
0 Replies