Yangtze River Dolphin presumed extinct

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 10:46 am
For quite a long time, environmentalists have feared for China's Yangtze River Dolphins (or Baiji). Rampant over fishing and destruction of habitat have taken their toll. A 6-week study found not a trace of the dolphin, which diverged from other water mammals 20+ million years ago. The study group now classifies the animal as extinct.

BBC

Quote:

If confirmed, it would be the first extinction of a large vertebrate for over 50 years........"Unlike most historical-era extinctions of large bodied animals, the baiji was the victim not of active persecution but incidental mortality resulting from massive-scale human environmental impacts - primarily uncontrolled and unselective fishing," the researchers concluded.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.....

http://www.aboutmyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/dolphin.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 10
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
thats sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:10 pm
very sad. hopefully inaccurate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:11 pm
Yes, hopefully...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:14 pm
I have seen a few pictures of the dolphin where you are basically looking in its eyes, and it ALMOST looks human.

it looks like someone is squinting really hard to see under water

They have the most unusual faces .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:16 pm
I was watching a show the other night.

It is a three part movie about how the world is losing its species due to humans and the waste we are creating.

If you include all 500 species of amphibians that have been lost in the last 100 years, we have single handedly destroyed almost 1000 species with garbage, pollution, harvesting of forests, .. you name it..

I have the seasons on my computer. Let me find the name of it.
It is enough to make you sick.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:40 pm
it is called Planet Earth the Future.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:50 pm
Only 1000? Does that include other humans?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:58 am
that is only in the last 100 years.

Basically since the rise of air pollution due to the quick changes in technology.
I dont know about any other species outside of that time frame.
The movie was only covering what our current lifestyle is doing to the environment and the time that it started.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:12 am
Ah, that (within 100 years) makes more sense. Scary, still.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:30 am
Hopefully untrue but it goes to show that the only hope is proper wildlife management. Ever been in an asian market? They will eat anything - especially from the sea - and I mean anything.
0 Replies