Doomed kangaroos win VIP reprieve

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:06 am
Doomed kangaroos win VIP reprieve
8/5/07

Kangaroos will be sent to live a life of luxury in air-conditioned accommodation after public outrage at plans to kill them backfired.

Australia's military were caught on the hop after angry reaction at plans to shoot thousands of the Australian icons at military bases.

Instead 3,200 eastern grey kangaroos will be trucked to a village more than an hour away from Canberra at the cost of £1,500 each, reports Metro.

The Defence Department said in May the kangaroos were causing serious erosion due to over-grazing on two drought-ravaged military bases.

A secret plan prepared for the defence department and obtained by the Canberra Times newspaper, said thousands of kangaroos would be sterilised on the Belconnen Naval Transmission Station and Majura military training area to control numbers.

Hundreds of others would be sedated with valium and trucked in special air-conditioned vans to the rural village of Braidwood, east of Canberra.

The kangaroos would be herded into a padded pen and sedated, then shot with a paintball gun to mark them as ready for transport.

They would be released in a fenced area covered with shadecloth, the report by the Wildcare protection group for the Defence Department said.

Local wildlife groups were at odds over whether it was more humane to cull the kangaroos or move them.

Police in May ordered a halt to the planned cull, saying bullets could ricochet and hit protesters who planned to trespass on defence land to save the animals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 865 • Replies: 16
No top replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:59 pm
What to do about the kangaroos is a perennial problem.

Some claim they are an endangered species. In the natural state, when grass is scarce they stop breeding (the unborn young go into a state of suspended animation until things improve). In some areas though, their numbers have grown to pest proportions and have destroyed the livelihood of more than one farmer. Trouble is, they love to eat the crops the farmers grow or provide for their own stock and so they breed up in this unnatural environment.

Sadly, sometimes culling is a necessary evil.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:05 am
all the protestors should be forced to either take 2 kangaroos home and care for them or pay for care in a "facility".

If grey and red kangaroos were even regionally endangered I would back the protestors but as it is kangaroos are a problem of pest animal proportions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:06 am
They taste like chicken?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:17 am
No way!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:20 am
farmerman wrote:
They taste like chicken?

No, they taste more like ummm a nonfat beef...? I dont know I guess they taste like kangaroo.

Very very good for you as there is very little fat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:20 am
what do they taste like? surely somebody down there eats em, otherwise youd be up to yer anii in the bloody things
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:24 am
here ya go farmer dude.

http://www.aussiegamemeats.com.au/frmain.htm

And you are right about being up to our keisters in kangaroos.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:27 am
better links.

http://www.aussiegamemeats.com.au/cooking.htm

Southern Game meat
http://www.sgm.com.au/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:29 am
Dadpad.Not very appetizing. I saw a factory, a pickemup truck, and a dumpster. Then it said point to the left for recipes. There was on left (Or should I have been standing on my head?)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:32 am
farmerman wrote:
Dadpad.Not very appetizing. I saw a factory, a pickemup truck, and a dumpster. Then it said point to the left for recipes. There was on left (Or should I have been standing on my head?)

Yep I saw the same (Nothing on the left)

SGM dot com dot au is a better link
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:43 am
I imagine they can be farm raised? They are vegetarians are they not? Browers or grazers? Ctching them could pose a challenge.

Im thinking fencing needs>

OK send me 50 , and Ill start a breeding program here in the states. Well eat anything we can stick on a grille. and serve with a barbecue sauce..

RAck a corn fed roo.
THIS COULD BE BIG.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:50 am
Stupid Americans

California bans kangaroo-skin shoes

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/24/1986305.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:57 am
I imagine that Adidas will ultimatelt prevail, because they sell calfskin joggers. Once somebody establishes an animal as endangered its not necessarily the case. With grizzlies and whales and pupfish, I think the case is easily made. Kangaroos? cmon, I understand that they use them bulk in pet foods.

I gotta go to bed now, good having a palaver with ya there dadpad. Watch out for them funnel webs and poon tangs (or whatever the hell them snakes are called)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
Enjoy rappin with you farmer

Poon Tangs? Shocked WTF?

I have no idea.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:22 am
Im sorry, It was very late here, I was tired. I meant Taipans.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:49 am
Did you fairdinkium mean Taipans or were you swearing at me?

We dont have funnel webs or taipans here. Redback spiders, Tiger snakes and king brown snakes along with hoop snakes are a problem though
0 Replies