How do you get dead animal smell out of a boat/

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:50 pm
I saw en episode of mythbusters where they left two pigs to rot for a month or so in a car to see if they could remove the smell.

Really can't remember if they were successful but I do remember they got some enzyme based chemicals that was used for cleaning up ambulances and such.

If you ask around you might fun the stuff, I doubt they sell it at walmart tho'. -Just a tip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:58 pm
The cadaver odor folks seem right...

Only other thing I can think of, and you're talking with a woman with virtually no sense of smell, is that when the place next to our gallery/studio had a fire, and even a corner of our place caught... the fire fortunately gotten out, the next day we had some water damage and a hell of a smell.
The insurer's took care of getting an Ozone crew in there, and that did the trick on the building interior. Only aftereffects were that all our rubber bands broke.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
True, they use ozone to remove smell. But it's probably expensive and ozone is also a toxic gas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
True, we sure couldn't go in there until they did their thing.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:12 pm
as farmer man wrote : you could have a real problem if the bacteria has penetrated into any fiberglass fissures/hairline cracks .
as he suggested : re-glassing might be the only answer .
i remember my brother's old house . there had been a smouldering fire in the house many years ago and all the beams had "soaked up" a lot of the smoke - he was never able to complete get rid of a faint smell of smoke . he would have had to tear out all the beams - but that was not an option .
you may have to "cover up" the last remaining smell .
hbg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 11:18 pm
Hey brendalee. Is that you? How you doin'? I have absolutely no words of widsom to offer on the smelly boat situation. Just wanted to say hi.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 12:19 pm
Brendalee--

Sorry about your stinking summer.

This cleaner is highly recommended by a local vet who writes a newspaper column.

http://www.scoe10x.com/Scripts/default.asp

Her advice is usually very good.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:18 pm
dead amimal smell
hi there Reberta and Noddy
We were to go to the boat today but again winds were not with us .
Once the winds change directions , I hope tomorw I I will be able to tell if if the methods I have already tried worked . If not candaver stuff is on my shopping list .
Thanks for the good times in NY.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:34 pm
brendalee -- I hope you wear/wore gloves with the Goo Gone. It works great but can be really hard on your hands. (I hate working with gloves on -- compromised with lots of hand cream later.)
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:13 pm
dead animal smell
Thank you Tai Chi , we are going up to the boat this weekend and will take by work gloves whith . Do you think that stuff will melt the fiiber glass?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:05 pm
re: Goo Gone -- I have only ever used it on metal. Hopefully if it will damage fiberglass there's a warning on the label.
0 Replies