How do you get dead animal smell out of a boat/

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:41 pm
it wold seem that a pair of mink spent the winter in one of the front compartment of our small bow rider . I have washed all the compartments that they seem to have been in , cleaned the rugs, cleaned up the thousands of fly leftovers. Yet the one compartment that once of the animals died in I can not get the smell out even after using a gallon of solutoin to remove pet mess smells.

I have even removed most of the carpet in the compartments .

other than getting a new boat has any one got any suggestions as to get rid of the smell ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,907 • Replies: 30
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
Why would you want to get rid of the smell?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:49 pm
Perhaps vinegar or bleach could help.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:51 pm
My first inclination is to sell the boat - it's probably time to upgrade anyway. ;-) j/k

I would never have thought of this before, but you could try Dr. Scholl's foot deodorant spray. I know that sounds weird, but I never would have believed anything could save my teen's Van's (or his socks, or his room for that matter) until we tried that stuff.
It actually got to the point where I made him keep his sneakers out on the deck. He tried the Dr. Scholl's and I could put his shoe up to my face and smell NOTHING! (Not that I do that kind of thing often!)
If it can kill foot stink, maybe it can kill dead animal stink.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:58 pm
There are special products on the market used exclusively to remove dead animal smells. Call a vet or pet shop, they should be able to make a suggestion.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:00 pm
TTH wrote:
There are special products on the market used exclusively to remove dead animal smells. Call a vet or pet shop, they should be able to make a suggestion.

TTH - I tried some of those products when we had a cat problem a couple years ago; they didn't help much on Berber carpet.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:02 pm
Get yourself a bucket and a scrub brush. Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, a 1/4 cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid dish detergent in the bucket and start scrubbing!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:27 pm
happycat wrote:
TTH wrote:

TTH - I tried some of those products when we had a cat problem a couple years ago; they didn't help much on Berber carpet.
Thanks, but I didn't want to endorse a treatment not knowing what surface the compartment consists of (wood, etc.) or suggest something that may damage the surface of the compartment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:39 pm
Re: How do you get dead animal smell out of a boat/
brendalee wrote:
other than getting a new boat

funny how brendalee knew exactly what Setanta was going to recommend :wink:

probably why she didn't ask him first
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:54 pm
dead animal smell
I will attempt any of your methods however the bleach may cause the carpet to fall apart and change colour and we can not afford to get a new boat .( It would be nice to get a new boat).

The boat is made of fiberglass so other than a very corrosive based chemical should work.

I just do not like the smell as it may mean that there are germs and so on left even after the long hours of scrubbing I have already done.

I really do not want my grandchildren to get sick from being with us in the boat , so until I have rid the boat of the smell I guess we just go to the beach for our day trips.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
dead animal smell
Well ,I do know a little bit about how he would answer my question .If he wants to really help he can scrub the boat with me . It may be a bit of a tight squeeze . It is a small boat .

I am sure if he did there would be a few good stories to be told after our cleaning adventure . They would be sure to keep us laughing for a long time .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:03 pm
I think all of the carpet will have to go.

The odor's likely permeated into every last fibre of the carpet.

Is there any wood in the boat? It's probably permeated as well.

Have you bought any of those deodorizer tubs that you leave open in the space (you know, we've had free samples in goody bags at Tweed)? That's what p.d. vendors people put into houses after fires and suicides, to get the stink out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
http://www.inspiredliving.com/airpurifiers/images/DSCF0648a.jpg

Air sponges! that's what they call them.

You use them after everything with fibres is gone.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:06 pm
brendalee, if you don't mind me asking, you mentioned the fact that you are a grandmother and, well, sometimes the mere mention of grandmothers causes me great excitement, and especially if aforementioned grandmothers are wearing aprons and baking cookies..... in stiletto heels!

Talk to me, brenda. You got them heels workin?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:12 pm
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2931/p10204672yw8.jpg

Chef Karen reacting to Gustav's post
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:15 pm
http://www.minutus.net/pam/moveabletype/images/pam/bubbles.jpg

A young Gustav, circa 1923, has a moment of premonition and wonders why Region would post such hurtful things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:17 pm
watch out, gustav.

I found out today that there's, ahem, an understanding between brendalee and herr walter hinteler.

it'll be dueling swords at dawn if you're not careful.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:18 pm
I would not face the wrath of Walter for all the coffee in Toledo.

Exit.... stage left.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 05:51 pm
Call a company that does "cadaver clesnup" (Id call yer local RCMP for their major subcontractors) Those guys have stuff we dont even know about that are enzyme based .

If the fiberglass is over a wooden transom, the smell may have permeated the transom and itll be there so you jmight even have to re"glas" that compartment. Its not hard really, just dont fail to account for the port . Illbet you have mahogany gunwales that you stow gera in in each compartment. Unscrfew these and assess them for odor. They are easy to replace also.

We had a porcupine come in and eat the freeze out lines on our diesel a few years ago.poor chap died but he at least made it to the aft topside before buying it. Hewas found in the boat barn like a mummy, all full of antifreeze and dead as a bar of soap.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:07 pm
dead animal smell
I have been to Canadian Tire and back purchasing carpet glue remover called Goo Gone it has citrus power and is a dangerous poison. ( that is what it said on the label). We dod not have adequate scrapers .The only thing close that we had were dry wall scrapers and since they are mine and near and dear I did not want use them.

So adding to my took box ,again mine I bought a 10" lever-scraper to enable me to get under top of the compartment without having to almost going in there. I also out a 9-in -1 painter's tool 3" very nasty looking but a cool tool. This I hope will will enable me to get the carpet out of the compartment as you can use a hammer to help with the shoving of the blade down the sides of the compartment. I had cut the carpets but they would not come up.

We were to go to the boat today but the wind was out of the north and too strong to go on the lake. I was hoping that leaving the compartments open would help get rid of the smell . We will find out what has gone on since our last visit up to the boat.

In the mean time I will attempt to call about the cadaver smell removal stuff.
0 Replies