Jacques Attali on French Culture (and the French Left)

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:36 pm
From New Perspectives Quarterly:

The Truth About the French Model: The Rest of the World Is Jealous
Jacques Attali

During the hotly contested election earlier this year in France, the fate of "the French model" was much discussed.

I am very much aware that France is seen as an odd animal, able to call a gigantic strike at any moment for obscure reasons. I realize that my country is often seen as the last reservoir of bureaucrats in the world, a kind of sleeping Titanic. The huge strikes organized to prevent young employees from being fired with no explanation puzzles a lot of people. Many take the view that the French denial of work flexibility is just a refusal to face reality.

The truth is very different. The fact is, the rest of the world is jealous of France.

[See thread for full text.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:37 pm
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:38 am
And what is YOUR point of view, Shapeless?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:42 am
I don't know about him but I think French women are chic ...

And the cheese is to die for Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:44 am
Well, Mame, I do want to keep both that way... Cool
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:46 am
Indubitably! Some things you just shouldn't change.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:02 am
Francis wrote:
And what is YOUR point of view, Shapeless?

My firsthand experience with French culture and politics consists only of a six-month stay in Paris last year, which needless to say isn't quite enough to have an informed opinion about much of what Attali is saying here. I can say with certainty that many of my acquaintances here in the States have very romanticized images of French culture in a very generalized sense--as do I--but none of them look upon France with the kind of jealousy that Attali mentions here, especially in the wake of last year's labor demonstrations. I was living in Paris for most of that time, and I remember several conversations with my French friends (who were mostly in their early- and mid-20s) in which they explained why the strikes were necessary in their view. I can recall one of their comments almost verbatim: "What Villepin doesn't seem to care about is that the CPE will require us to work as hard as we can just to keep our jobs." I remember trying to find exactly why this was problematic, and I still dont't quite see it; but from my friends' perspective it was apparently self-evident. I don't think I will ever have enough of a modern French student's mentality to understand this reasoning (though it must be said that there were many, many other French students who did not oppose the CPE). So to answer your question, Francis, I don't have much an opinion in this matter.

Except that I'm with Mame in believing the cheese is to die for.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:18 am
As you have observed, Shapeless, there was a lot of controversy about the CPE (first job contract).

I have an opinion as many others but, because of my social position, it may be biaised..

Anyway, it didn't get through..

Now, I entirely disagree with Attali, on the topic of jealousy, which is more a candy thrown in the French public.

There's a similarity with Washington politicians telling that other nations hate the US because they are jealous...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:21 am
Francis wrote:
There's a similarity with Washington politicians telling that other nations hate the US because they are jealous...

Agreed.
0 Replies