Choose your words well

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:27 pm
Choose Your Words Well

A certain good woman one day said something that hurt her best friend of many years. She regretted it immediately and would have done anything to have taken the words back. But they were said impulsively in a moment of thoughtlessness, and as close as she and her friend were, she didn't consider the effects of her words before hand.

What she said hurt the friend so much that this good woman was herself hurt for the pain she caused. In her effort to undo what she had done, she went to an older, wiser woman in the village, explained her situation, and asked for advice.

The older woman listened patiently in an effort to determine just how sincere the younger woman was, how far she was willing to go to correct the situation. She explained that sometimes, in order to put things back in order, great efforts must be made.

She then asked, "Just what would you be willing to do to repair the harm done?" The answer was heartfelt. "Anything!"

Listening to her, the older woman sensed the younger woman's distress and knew she must help her. She also knew she could never alleviate her pain by living her life for her, but she could teach, if the younger woman would first listen and then learn.

She knew the outcome would depend solely on the character of the younger woman. She said, "There are two things you need to do to make amends. The first of the two is extremely difficult.

Tonight, take your best feather pillows and open a small hole in each one. Then, before the sun rises, you must put a single feather on the doorstep of each house in town.

When you are through, come back to me. If you've done the first thing completely, I'll tell you the second."

The young woman hurried home to prepare for her chore, even though the pillows were very dear to her and very expensive.

All night long, she labored alone in the cold. She went from doorstep to doorstep, taking care not to overlook a single house. Her fingers were frozen, the wind was so sharp it caused her eyes to water, but she ran on through the darkened streets, thankful there was something she could do to put things back the way they once were.

Finally as the sky was getting light, she placed the last feather on the steps of the last house. Just as the sun rose, she returned to the older woman.

She was exhausted but relieved that her efforts would be rewarded.

"My pillows are empty. I placed a feather on the doorstep of each home." "Now," said the wise woman, "Go back and refill your pillows. Then everything will be as it was before."

The young woman was stunned. "You know that's impossible! The wind blew away each feather as fast as I placed them on the doorsteps! You didn't say I had to get them back! If this is the second requirement, then things will never be the same."

"That's true," said the older woman. "Never forget. Each of your words is like a feather in the wind. Once spoken, no amount of effort, regardless how heartfelt or sincere, can ever return them to your mouth. Choose your words well and guard them most of all in the presence of those you love."

Author Unknown
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,919 • Replies: 51
No top replies

NNY

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 01:29 am
ok. I don't like how so many of these stories always start in some tribe with the wise woman or the witchdoctor. I wish I knew what the lady said. That would make it much more entertaining. I get the point and I guess the point is somehow relevant and true, but I have extremely dry humor and am too self absorbed to care about what I say to people. But that's hypocritical of me because I do care about what I say to a select few, that select few being the ones I always think about what I say, the same select few that I alienate by accident, yet always do, the other is just the majority I guess. The others I have very "we all die" views towards. That tangeant said, If I said something dumb to the hypocritical circle I make, which I mistakenly but wholey do, I would probally just negate the poor soul altogether. I... what am I talking about? If I had feathers I would staple to a wall and call it the chicken wall.

Uh, Forgive me I REALLY DID have something to say, but I lost track.

Freud! I was going to say something about slips and how it and preordained philosophies are very useful together. Something about that was useful huh? Um, better than the Michael story, I wanted to yell after that one, after this one I just want an egg roll.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 03:08 am
Hmmmmm....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 03:23 am
This is actually a story about how much information one should expect in order to conceive a plan. If the woman who offended her friend would have pressed the wise old woman to "give me the entire mess of information up front"
Dont expect to do something under orders and then not even question her silly task until she has all the featjhers distributed. JEEZUS H CHRIST. she empties all her pillows for some simply symbolic act initiated just so she could understand what she already suspected.
I think she should take her friend out to lunch and just apologize in that sincere crying way that women are good at. Yeh, sincerity try that, Ill bet that can work. Obviously symbolic acts will just piss her off. Now shes mad at herself for being so blunt with her friend , and shes also mad at herself for being really stupid.
The old woman is probably back in her cabin laughin her ass off.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 09:09 am
It's just a story f-man. A parable, OK? Jeez
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 09:34 am
Perhaps we are not overly familiar with the concept of sarcasm swimp?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
Perhaps it might just be better to accept that chaos, not morality, rules our lives. Embrace chaos, you embrace the world. Accepting chaos gives us a unique perspective into the psyches of others, which makes us more open to accepting others who are different from us, as well as washing us of all sin, because, hey, it's chaos. One can ask questions to the 'god' of chaos (but there really isn't one) like "How come I have to discuss these stories both in my e-mail and on A2K?" All in fun...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:35 am
I'm willing to go along with that chaos idea. Let me start...

jnvbel; ;392- jdhmeknt 9093j nbvlalkd-w0i-bjkal'wlek

aoijg0qrjbm3-0
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:46 am
Very good, gustavhopper....you show potential...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
Sounds a bit more like ridicule, fman.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:22 am
my advice is 2 do ure best always 2 alienate u're friends so eventually u won't have any, and then there's nothing 2 worry about; solved (and u still have ure nice pillows)

and NNY; about those freudian slips, you might want 2 check out
"Victoria's Secret"
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:47 pm
BOBOGOWOO

I'm tired of your antics! Why can't you act serious like I R Babboon? I was talking about how ALL slips might be intended, not just Freudian slip stereotypes! I think. I haven't slept in four days. When you have insomnia your never really asleep.

Fight Club.

BOBOBOGOGOGOGOWOWOWOOO oO0()0Oo
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:16 am
sleep 'tight'; maybe that's u're problem.

SLEEP LOOSE mon ami! (and think about getting off the 'crack'.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:19 am
Choose your words well ? My old gran used to say, if you get stuck on what to say, spit out 'em out first & sort 'em out afterwards.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:29 am
most canadian politicians had the same grandmother! Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
that grandmother has weaved her tangled web in the Palace of Westminster as well
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:11 pm
the 'black widow' of politics;
hmm, i thought that was georgy!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:25 pm
georgy porgy pudding & pie
cloned the girls & made them cry
when the boys came out to play
georgy porgy spun his web