Anyone know how to get rid of fleas???

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:51 pm
here is my dilemma. I have four inside cats. We have tried spot treatments, spraying the house and outside, bathing the cats (not fun) giving them capstar, and replacing the carpet with wood floors. What else can be done?? They won't die. What gives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,903 • Replies: 23
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:57 pm
Have you tried using Frontline? You get it from your vet.

The vet also sells good flea bombs. It's a mess since you have to store away all of your food and dishes and clean clean clean in addition to boarding your cats for the duration but worth it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:58 pm
Shoot the cats.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
This website has comprehensive info on flea treatment of all types.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:29 pm
Move.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:03 pm
Well. I can't move right now and I would never shoot an animal. Iv'e tried frontline, but not the vet bombs. I will ask about those. Butr thanx for the link.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
I'm guessing that while you're killing the live fleas, you're missing a few eggs--and just a few eggs will start the cycle all over again.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Shoot the cats.

hehehehe
We're trying to get rid of the fleas here...

Anyway,
I have a kitty and we treat her for fleas about every 2-3 months.
It's some sort of repellent gel to be applied on her back. It works pretty good, actually. But even the vet said that we can't get rid of the fleas for good... they'lll always come back eventually.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:52 pm
ricksang....I have 2 indoor cats, but a third one has decided to life on the front porch (have no idea where it came from)

So....fleas got in the house..

This is want you need to do....it's going to take time and persistance but it will work.

The problem with fleas is that you are dealing with the fleas on the cats, the fleas in the carpet, and the eggs that will hatch later....you have to break the cyle.

Hard as it might be, you need to give the cats a bath....

actually, you need to fill the tub and sit in it with the cat submerged up to its neck, to drown the fleas. Just make sure the water isn't too hot...remember, what's going to be up to your waist will be up to the cats neck, and you don't want he or she to overheat. You'll see the flease coming off the cat, and even climbing onto the head, where you can pick them off and drown them.

Then, drain most of the water out, and just use whatever shampoo you have on hand...the fleas are dead...

Needless to say, it's best if you do this with 2 people...one in the tub with the cat, the other handling all the other duties, like draining comforting words, etc.

The day before you bathe the cats, bomb one of the rooms, read the package directions.

After the baths, put all the cats in that "safe room", making sure to block the gap under the door with towels.

Go ahead and bomb the rest of the house.

Front line also makes a pump spray, which I think works much better than the drops, and is more economical...after the bathing and bombing, follow the package directions and spray the cats. There's going to be residual fleas on them, the spray will take care of them.

Next, for the next week, vacuum daily, or as often as you can, to pick up the flea eggs.

After a week or 2, you might want to repeat the bombing.

Oh...the outside cat...well, he's not friendly, he just wants to live on our porch...but Mr. Tea managed to get a couple of squirts on him too.

You know, shewolf was at my house a while back, and I really hadn't realized how flea infested jezzer was, until she told me the black spots on her was blood...when I gave jezzer her soaking, I was shocked and dismayed at the amount of blood that dissolved in the water...but know, she's feeling so much better. I love my pets and hate the thought she was suffering.

I know the bath may not be easy...but it's got to be done, it's essential. Luckily, jezzer is old and laid back, and roland likes water.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:53 am
Purchase two wooden blocks. Almost any size will do, just so you can easily wield them. Place flea on bolck "A". Hit flea with block "B".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:53 am
kill the cats.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:54 am
oops...sorry cj...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:56 am
Np, sometimes even the most hardened A2Kers can't help but to agree with me... Wink
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:28 am
Lol. I'll try the frontline spray. We also have outside cats that have decided to call our garage "home". Feed them once, they stay. We sprayed outside, but there is noway we could bath them; they have all their claws. I may try the submerging thing. Edgar, the flea smashing thing might work too!!! It would take a long time to work though Sad I could never kill my cats. I have trouble killing anything, even bugs. Well, except fleas and mosquitos.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
killing fleas
In my past life I was a full time real estate broker , I often had to show empty houses that the prior owner of the house also owned dogs or cats .

Almost without fail as the prospective buyer and I would enter I would be covered in fleas but not the buyer . I would always have the people take their own car to the showing as I knew that I would have to spray myself before getting into my car and the smell of RAID is not a way to sell a house.

I then would have to call the owner and request the good old fashion flea bombing of the house . It usually worked really well. no showings for 2-3 days after the deed was done.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:54 pm
I fear bombing may be our the only option to get them gone for good. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:10 pm
ricksang wrote:
I fear bombing may be our the only option to get them gone for good. Rolling Eyes

oh yeah....regardless of the other steps you take, there's no question you have to bomb.

Then rebomb later to get the hatched eggs.

Oh...forgot to mention...STEAM clean your carpet.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:13 pm
I use Advantage, it's like Frontline. I wouldn't put a flea collar on the cats (too strong/concentrated at one spot) but I jhave put a piece inside my vacuum cleaner, outside the bag. I think it keeps swept-up fleas from climbing back out onto the carpet.

Oh, yeah, and when you vacuum after flea treatment, or if you think there may be any, take the vacuum bag out of the house as soon as you're done! Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:47 am
To heck with bags. Get a Dyson.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:30 pm
All good ideas. You are definitely going to have to bomb. I do not reccomend leaving anything that is alive in the house while you do this as it will not be alive when you get back home. Do not leave your cats in the house, even if they are in a different room than where the spray is.

If you own a bird keep it out of the house for an extra day longer than the directions say. Birds are much more susceptible to gasses than we are.

A good tip my vet told me (I have 4 cats and a dog by the way so I can sympathize) is after you have bombed the house and vacuumed everywhere, take some Borax 20 Mule Team powdered laundry detergent and rub it into the carpets under things like your couches and desks. Anyplace that is dark and out of the way where fleas like to burrow and breed. The soap sterilizes the young fleas and eggs and will help break the cycle. It seems to do the trick and I have not seen any reaction from the animals that the soap bothers them.

Then there are the various monthly treatments. I use Frontline and seems to work pretty well. The Capstar pills are good about getting the fleas off quickly but they are only effective for about 24 hours. They are mainly meant to be used for immediate relief prior to using a monthly type treatment.

Lastly you will never be able to have a completely flea free environment all the time. Every year when spring comes around some are bound to get in the house through an animal or even on you. All the remedies mentioned above do work and for the most part I don't have many problems.
0 Replies