What to believe?

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm
To be honest, I'm young (16) and I don't know a whole lot and that scares me to tears, but I like to think of my self as a methodist, I'm baptized as one, and I do respect their rules. But when ever I lay down to bed, I always think after I pray, and of course one as young as me can't help but think of the future, and with time, comes death. I'm not afriad for myself, at least not as much as I am for my mother and father, friends and siblings, but I am of course afriad. I do want to go to heaven, but one thing irritates my heart very much. It's something I think most have questioned, and it is, "what will it be like if I am in Heaven, and my mother or best friend, some one so significatant in my life, is suffereing in hell?" I went to this christian camp for a whole week, and besides being home sick, I also did ot like the answers I got from the place. The conoeing and rock climbing, tons of fun I assure, the answers.... flipping meaningless to me. Such as, the answer I got to the question just posed was " You'll be so happy and gratified to be in Heaven, that you won't feel that sorrow" And then they showed me some boble story about ... Lazarus? The servant? Some servant, I'm sure half of those reading already know what story I'm speaking about. Anyway, the humble servant and the greedy master who goes to hell while the servant goes to Heaven for being to.. graceful/ humble. Becuase the servant still had compassion for his wicked master he went to Heaven, and even though the servant still had that compassion in heaven for his master.... nothing was done? WHich brings me to my next question, If I am so important in God's eyes, then why do my tears for the fallen mean nothing? Why, if I cry in Heaven becuase let's just say something crazy like I really realy really love that person in Hell or the person who is deceased and since I'm still alive, I don't know if they're being taken care of or not, why won't my "precious" cries fortify anything for the damned? And if Jesus saved everyone, then those who believe in Christ but do nothing, why can't they be saved if they are truly sorry at the end of the journey? Why can't the wicked change at the last moment? And what proof does God give to my generation, why won't he send Jesus back? Why why why. I just don't know what to believe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 33
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
Welcome to the forum, KaseyMarie.

I think you will like it here. If ever there was a place where you could find competing logical arguments on the subject of religion, this would be it. My fellow a2kers are among the most intelligent folks I have met.

But I disagree with all of them in one way or another. And, although I believe the bible to be the inerrant word of God, most of the believers here disagree with me on some points as well.

Some posters are prone to use less than polite language. Don't be discouraged. I believe all of us are good folks. (Except maybe what's his name. Laughing )

So, if you are willing to hang out here, you will surely find many answers to your question which you may then evaluate as you wish.

And, since I am the first to respond to your post, consider this: Where would Adam and Eve be if they had not sinned? What was God's promise? And, do you think he would change his mind about humans just because they sinned?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
I believe i'll sit this one out.

(Specific references to sectarian participation remove it from the realm of general discussion, in my never humble opinion.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 03:49 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 05:34 pm
are you home schooled?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 05:38 pm
Re: What to believe?
KaseyMarie555 wrote:
To be honest, I'm young (16) and I don't know a whole lot and that scares me to tears, but I like to think of my self as a methodist, I'm baptized as one, and I do respect their rules.

Maybe you should question why you consider yourself methodist just because you were baptized as one.

Quote:
I went to this christian camp for a whole week, and besides being home sick, I also did ot like the answers I got from the place. The conoeing and rock climbing, tons of fun I assure, the answers.... flipping meaningless to me. Such as, the answer I got to the question just posed was " You'll be so happy and gratified to be in Heaven, that you won't feel that sorrow" .

I don't think your methodist friends like it when you question the bible authority. That doesn't mean you should stop doing it tho'.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
Re: What to believe?
Coolwhip wrote:
. . . I don't think your methodist friends like it when you question the bible authority. That doesn't mean you should stop doing it tho'.
Paul thought it was to the Beroeans' credit that they tested the things he said. (Acts 17:11)
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 11:12 pm
Welcome to a2k, KaseyMarie.
(Pay no mind to neologist--he belongs to the church of java.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 04:11 am
KaseyMarie555 - At 16, you are just beginning to learn about life. Often, young people simply accept what is told to them about religion by their parents, and the clergy. Remember, you need to find your own place in this universe, and it may not be necessarily the place about what you have been taught.

There are many different beliefs that people hold. You need to question, question, question. Don't just simply accept an entire body of thought, just because they are your parent's beliefs. As a teenager, it is your job to become your own person.

Here is a good place to start learning:

http://www.beliefnet.com/

On this site you will find descriptions of the many kinds of beliefs that people have. Check them out, and see what makes the best sense to you. Good luck on your journey!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:46 am
KaseyMarie555,

My advice to you is beware of anybody who thinks they know " a religious truth". Only you can find answers to your questions by looking within yourself.
0 Replies

KaseyMarie555

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:08 am
Answers..
I am not home schooled. I attend a regular high school full of floridian hicks.. no offense...lol... and the place I live is never quiet, not becuase it's a city, but becuase... people always party here in Wakulla. Originally however, I live in Tallahassee, I just attend wakulla's high school becuase the other schools in Tally aren't very... good to go to. Too many gangs and drugs, but I mean, you find that type of stuff in every high school. God knows I've seen enough of it in mine.

About the religion part, I am positive christianity is what I believe it, what I'm struggling with is whether or not I want to be apart of God, or just not apart of anything. I can't accept allah or demi gods or greek gods as my gods, I think the God spoken of in the bible is my God, I just can't decide if I want to be with him, worship him, or if I just want to be with myself. To live for the people around me or for my creator. I've listened to so many things, and I want to think that if I really meant something to God, he would listen if I wept in Heaven for the lost. And not even just for my family or loved ones who went to Hell, for everyone who ever went to Hell for lack of belief or respect for God or becuase they sinned and did not repent. It's like I want to save humanity all over again, and I know that I can't.
And why is it that God only gives us the past to go by the future when I am constantly taught to disregard the past and live by the present and think for the future? Why give me a book that men wrote to teach or to carry the word of God when it is God's words? How can I trust a species known to lie and to cheat? How can God expect me to live by him through a book surrounded by lies and reality, and how can I tell if it is indeed fact or fiction? I can only go by what I feel and what I have come to know in my short life. People say with age comes some wisdom and I feel that I am lacking or severely mentally disabled. And it's like, no one my age is even considering the thoughts that I present to them. Eventaully I just don't even mention God at school becuase not only does it attract the "real" Christians in my school that constantly make jokes about my firends because some are not christians and some do party and drink and have sex, (but most of my friends are good people and they do not lie or steal.) but also becuase it does offend some of my friends when I do mention God, as if I am judging them. It just sucks becuase most of my friends make God coherent with nagativity, and he's not. He's ever loving and sweet.
And my parents, this is probably why you thought I might be home schooled, becuase I think too much about things people my age could really care less for, my parents are split, divorced, and my dad sets the example that God loves me unconditionally. He says no matter what I can do and what I will do, God will still love me. So as much as the love flows, I am still not satisfied, but I can grasp that God does love me. My mother has been an alcoholic for about... as long as I can remember, although, I didn't understand this until I moved to Fort Lauderdale, southern Florida. I've always been mature for my age, even in New Hampshire (where I used to live before we moved back to Florida), mildly depressed. And even though I still prayed, all my life I have always prayed, simpley instinct almost, I never thought too deeply on God. If I had not noticed my mother's problem, which I probably wouldn't have but did due to her father who "visited" and convinced her of her alcohol issue, I would most likely still be in New Hampshire, or in Pennslyvaina(sp?) where her husband, my step dad, is, doing what ever pleases me, probably the typical stuff I should care about, like boys and drugs and parties. Which I do still care for, just not in the moderations most girls do.
You know what, now I've lost y train of thought. This isn't about past, but my present. My decisions and answers. I;m just repeating things I have always laid out in my head. Things are just confusing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:57 am
I believe you will find the answers if you continue to search. Solomon wrote that we should search God's words as if looking for treasure. (Proverbs 2:4)

When Jesus told his followers to "ask and you shall find. . . .", he didn't mean you should ask only once. He repeated himself 3 times, ask. . ., seek. . ., knock. . . (Matthew 7:7)

In fact, the original Greek has the connotation of "Keep on asking. . . "
0 Replies

KaseyMarie555

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:07 am
yeah but...
I ask all the time. Where are my answers and do I really have the time to look for something so important? This is almost like an obsession, in fact, I only found this site becuase I was searching for my answers to all of my questions pertaining to this particular topic. Besides, I'm half afraid of what I might find. And really, in the end, I can only know at death what what was what. It's torture to wait until I die, to sit and think of what may happen. I almost wish that the revelations would just come as soon as possible so I might have some proof.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:15 am
KaseyMarie...just need to tell you - if you are 16 years old..you are giving out way too much information on the internet. You really need to be careful. I am sure there are a lot of fine folks here...but there are a lot of crazies lurking too...it concerns me for your well-being. I am sure if your Mom knew you were on this site getting advice from God knows who...she would have a duck. Be careful. Please Very Happy
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:17 am
Neo...thank you. Couldn't have said it better.
0 Replies

KaseyMarie555

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:32 am
oh my bad.
can I delete comments?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
I will see if I can find out for you...let me look around.... :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 11:07 am
I think the mods can delete posts if you ask. Then you can re post. That might help.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
I've asked for her...waiting for a reply Very Happy
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 05:08 pm
Re: Answers..
KaseyMarie555 wrote:
I am not home schooled. I attend a regular high school full of floridian hicks.. no offense...lol... and the place I live is never quiet, not becuase it's a city, but becuase... people always party here in Wakulla. Originally however, I live in Tallahassee, I just attend wakulla's high school becuase the other schools in Tally aren't very... good to go to. Too many gangs and drugs, but I mean, you find that type of stuff in every high school. God knows I've seen enough of it in mine.

About the religion part, I am positive christianity is what I believe it, what I'm struggling with is whether or not I want to be apart of God, or just not apart of anything. I can't accept allah or demi gods or greek gods as my gods, I think the God spoken of in the bible is my God, I just can't decide if I want to be with him, worship him, or if I just want to be with myself. To live for the people around me or for my creator. I've listened to so many things, and I want to think that if I really meant something to God, he would listen if I wept in Heaven for the lost. And not even just for my family or loved ones who went to Hell, for everyone who ever went to Hell for lack of belief or respect for God or becuase they sinned and did not repent. It's like I want to save humanity all over again, and I know that I can't.
And why is it that God only gives us the past to go by the future when I am constantly taught to disregard the past and live by the present and think for the future? Why give me a book that men wrote to teach or to carry the word of God when it is God's words? How can I trust a species known to lie and to cheat? How can God expect me to live by him through a book surrounded by lies and reality, and how can I tell if it is indeed fact or fiction? I can only go by what I feel and what I have come to know in my short life. People say with age comes some wisdom and I feel that I am lacking or severely mentally disabled. And it's like, no one my age is even considering the thoughts that I present to them. Eventaully I just don't even mention God at school becuase not only does it attract the "real" Christians in my school that constantly make jokes about my firends because some are not christians and some do party and drink and have sex, (but most of my friends are good people and they do not lie or steal.) but also becuase it does offend some of my friends when I do mention God, as if I am judging them. It just sucks becuase most of my friends make God coherent with nagativity, and he's not. He's ever loving and sweet.
And my parents, this is probably why you thought I might be home schooled, becuase I think too much about things people my age could really care less for, my parents are split, divorced, and my dad sets the example that God loves me unconditionally. He says no matter what I can do and what I will do, God will still love me. So as much as the love flows, I am still not satisfied, but I can grasp that God does love me. My mother has been an alcoholic for about... as long as I can remember, although, I didn't understand this until I moved to Fort Lauderdale, southern Florida. I've always been mature for my age, even in New Hampshire (where I used to live before we moved back to Florida), mildly depressed. And even though I still prayed, all my life I have always prayed, simpley instinct almost, I never thought too deeply on God. If I had not noticed my mother's problem, which I probably wouldn't have but did due to her father who "visited" and convinced her of her alcohol issue, I would most likely still be in New Hampshire, or in Pennslyvaina(sp?) where her husband, my step dad, is, doing what ever pleases me, probably the typical stuff I should care about, like boys and drugs and parties. Which I do still care for, just not in the moderations most girls do.
You know what, now I've lost y train of thought. This isn't about past, but my present. My decisions and answers. I;m just repeating things I have always laid out in my head. Things are just confusing.

We might be related or something.

Sex was never an issue to me until a girl whom I loved ditched me for not giving in.

Yes this happens to guys as well. You seem like a good kid and you make me hopeful for the future.

God is great. May God be with you always and welcome to a2k. Your gonna be ok!

:wink:
0 Replies