RELIGION BENEFICIAL TO BUSINESS

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:15 am
as a report in the "business section" of toronto's "globe and mail" points out , religion can bring economic benefits to a community .
a new hindu temple in a largely industrial section of toronto promises to bring economic benefits to businesses in the area .
hbg

http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/america/images/torontomandirf.jpg

Quote:

http://www.swaminarayan.org/globalnetwork/america/images/torontoapmf.jpg

source : ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF RELIGION
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
Religion = Business

All religions are in the business of making money, that's what they do. The church goers are their customers. No one is there for salvation, and the church couldn't provide any if they were.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
maporsche wrote :

Quote:
Religion = Business

All religions are in the business of making money, that's what they do. The church goers are their customers. No one is there for salvation, and the church couldn't provide any if they were.

but this religion/temple is also VERY GOOD for the surrounding businesses - no doubt , it'll bring additional business into the area ,
and the city will probably extend municipal transportattion services into the area .
hey , it can't be all bad to have a temple in the neighbourhood - probably good for businesses connected with weddings , funerals and other festive occasions Shocked Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
Quote:
All religions are in the business of making money, that's what they do.

All organizations (religious or not) require money to sustain, so of course they must generate income. I am glad you did not say 'that's ALL they do' - for that would've been incorrect.

Quote:
No one is there for salvation, and the church couldn't provide any if they were.

Exactly right. No church can provide salvation and any worth their salt would never claim the ability to do so!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:48 am
perhaps i should not have posted the article in the religion section , since it really deals more with commerce and architecture .
since it deals with the commercial impact of what is being called "cathedraltown" , perhaps it should be moved into a business section .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
I'm one of the tourists that plans to go see the new mandir.

~~~

Cathedraltown's got a bit of a problem though

Quote:
TORONTO, Canada (The Catholic Register) - One of Canada's most architecturally impressive and ambitious cathedrals is no longer a cathedral. Bishop John Pazak, spiritual head of Byzantine rite Slovak Catholics in Canada, has removed the blessed sacrament and the antimension, or altar stone, from the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, a giant gold-domed church on the edge of Unionville, north of Toronto.
http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=21517

~~~

When I go to the mandir, I'll likely stay in the neighbourhood to have a meal, maybe do a little shopping. I expect the presence of the mandir to really change the neighbourhood - much as the new Muslim mosque a few minutes from my place has really changed the types of restaurants - and the liveliness of the neighbourhood. Good thing, it was getting really rundown in the area.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 11:07 am
when i tried to access the catholic website , the phishing filter went into overdrive Shocked Laughing
i decided to back off !
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:20 am
maporsche wrote:
Religion = Business

Your body, maporsche, is your religion and that's why you're constantly measuring your FAT and your WEIGHT. I'll bet you look at your bod in the mirror about 50 times a day.

But what about your SOUL? Do you have one? Rolling Eyes

Have you ever looked at your soul or even a mirror of your soul, or are you too busy counting calories in your suburban chicago home.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:20 am
Miller wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Religion = Business

Your body, maporsche, is your religion and that's why you're constantly measuring your FAT and your WEIGHT. I'll bet you look at your bod in the mirror about 50 times a day.

But what about your SOUL? Do you have one? Rolling Eyes

Have you ever looked at your soul or even a mirror of your soul, or are you too busy counting calories in your suburban chicago home.

Wow Miller, unleash the fangs will ya?

My body is no more my religion than your is yours. The only time I look in the mirror is when I'm getting ready for work in the morning.

As far as my soul, first I would ask you to define what exactly a soul is? Rolling Eyes

And I have probably done more self-reflection, meditating, praying, and mental self-help than most people have.

And as far as counting calories, it really isn't that hard. I pack a lunch in the morning that equals about 1,100 calories, and then I eat some subway for dinner for the other 400. All in all it takes just a few minutes.

I guess you don't haev the same level of expertise in Nutrition and Exercise as you do in Universal Healthcare and Financial Planning.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:53 pm
when we are in the shower and change-room after our morning swim , there are usually a dozen - mostly older guys - showering and drying off , talking about day's events , joking ... not much time to look at our bodies Laughing

some - occasionally - bare their souls and we listen , perhaps nod , perhaps relate our own stories , perhaps even offer and give advice - IF CONSIDERED APPROPRIATE .
hardly anyone seems worried about CALORIES .

at my age , my wife and i enjoy life as best as we can , i eat what i like in moderation , get some exercise , work in the garden - and try not to worry too much - ONE OF THE BENEFITS OF BEING A LITTLE OLDER !

SO FAR , SO GOOD !
hbg
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 08:48 pm
Besides the fact that this string seems to be changing direction, you might like to know that the Bible has a couple of things to say about the religion and business partnership.

First of all, false religion will cost money, true religion is free. (Isaiah 55:1, 2; Matthew 10:8)

Secondly, false religion will come to an abrupt end and afterwards both governmental leaders and big businessmen will mourn the loss. (See Revelation chapter 18)
0 Replies