Miller

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:04 pm
OrlandoSentinel.com
Dentist Wins Case Over Tusks in Mouth

By DAVID AMMONS

Associated Press Writer

2:43 PM EDT, July 27, 2007

OLYMPIA, Wash.

An oral surgeon who temporarily implanted fake boar tusks in his assistant's mouth as a practical joke and got sued for it has gotten the state's high court to back up his gag.

Dr. Robert Woo of Auburn had put in the phony tusks while the woman was under anesthesia for a different procedure. He took them out before she awoke, but he first shot photos that eventually made it around the office.

The employee, Tina Alberts, felt so humiliated when she saw the pictures that she quit and sued her boss.

Woo's insurance company, Fireman's Fund, refused to cover the claim, saying the practical joke was intentional and not a normal business activity his insurance policy covered, so Woo settled out of court. He agreed to pay Alberts $250,000, then he sued his insurers.

A King County Superior Court jury sided with Woo, ordering Fireman's Fund to pay him $750,000, plus the out-of-court settlement. The insurance company won the next round, with the state Court of Appeals saying the prank had nothing to do with Woo's practice of dentistry. On Thursday, the state Supreme Court restored Woo's award.

In a sprightly 5-4 decision, Supreme Court Justice Mary Fairhurst wrote that Woo's practical joke was an integral, if odd, part of the assistant's dental surgery and "conceivably" should trigger the professional liability coverage of his policy.

Dissenting Justice James Johnson said the prank wasn't a dental procedure at all and only "rewards Dr. Woo's obnoxious behavior and allows him to profit handsomely."

The back story, the court wrote, is that Alberts' family raises potbellied pigs and that she frequently talked about them at the office where she worked for five years.

Woo said his jests about the pigs were part of "a friendly working environment" that he tried to foster.

The oral surgery on Alberts was intended to replace two of her teeth with implants, which Woo did. First, though, he installed temporary bridges that he had shaped to look like boar tusks, and while Alberts was still under anesthesia, he took photos, some with her eyes propped open. Before she woke up, he removed the "tusks" and put in the proper replacement teeth.

Woo says he didn't personally show her the pictures but staffers gave her copies at a birthday party.

Woo's lawyer, Richard Kilpatrick, described the surgeon as a kindhearted, fun-loving man who was chagrined that an office prank turned out so badly. He was delighted with the high court's decision, Kilpatrick said.

Attorneys for the insurance company did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

OrlandoSentinel.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,571 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
Where's the pictures?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:22 am
Of Dr. Woo?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:55 am
Laughing What an idiot! Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
He's a Boo-Woo...
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:59 pm
I'm glad she took him to tusk about it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 01:12 pm
Miller wrote:
Of Dr. Woo?

yes miller, that's exactly who I mean. I'd really like to see pictures of the dentist.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:28 pm
Me too. Just to make sure that bone head doesn't come near my mouth.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:31 pm
It just blows my mind that this Doctor could be stupid enough to risk their practice on such an idiotic prank! Confused
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:37 pm
I think that, unlike fart jokes, this practical joke was funny.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
Montana wrote:
It just blows my mind that this Doctor could be stupid enough to risk their practice on such an idiotic prank! Confused

please, some doctors do some of the stupidest **** in the world.

it's like their brain turns off when they aren't actually practicing medicine.

anyway, this was a dentist....not exactly like an electrocardiologist or something.

did I ever tell you about the time I poked an electrocardiologist in the gut with my index finger? Really made him jump back, jack.

My husbands defibrillator was pressing on a nerve, and that was giving him pain, which he was taking a ton of medicine for, like some drug addict. Touching other parts of him caused pain too, because of the nerve, I don't know how to explain it. Bottom line he was becoming a nervous wreck.

He felt like he'd been blown off a couple of times, so I went with him. The doc was putting his hands his hands on Mr. Tea's arm or leg, and the poor guy would jump, like in expectation of pain…..so the electro guy was all like…"Mr. Tea, I don't know if you really are in pain, you jump where ever I touch you"

OH….MAN!!!!

I was sitting on the other side of the room, I got up and across it in about 1/8 of a nanosecond. I poked my index finger….not hard….but quickly at the docs gut, chest, and arm….like pop pop pop…..which made him jump jump jump….

"Oh....I see you twitch when you don't know where someone is going to touch you next, or when….." then I proceeded to tell him how I watched this pain live in pain 24/7…etc.

"Welll…..harumph….maybe we need to look at the placement of the device more closely….harumph…yes, it might be pressing on a nerve….."

The defibrillator got moved.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:30 pm
Holy ****, Chai Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:34 pm
Makes me very happy that my doc is not an idiot. We talk about lots of things and he's a pretty smart dude. I like that in my doc.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:07 pm
Well, it wasn't really like he was an idiot....just full of himself....see, he had an audience of me and some little tech who was standing behind him to fulfill his every request before he even knew he wanted something.

Mr. Tea's regular cardio guy is super double-plus good. It's just those electro guys mostly look at wires and gizmos and forget there's a human attached to it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:15 pm
This isn't as bad as the orthopedic surgeon in the Boston area, who, while the paitent was sedated on the table, with his back cut open, left the operating room to run to the bank to cash his paycheck.

He was eventually fired, accused of drug possession, and many other things including sex with a minor male ( in a car ) and I think he's in jail right now.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:17 pm
Chai wrote:
Well, it wasn't really like he was an idiot....just full of himself....see, he had an audience of me and some little tech who was standing behind him to fulfill his every request before he even knew he wanted something.

Mr. Tea's regular cardio guy is super double-plus good. It's just those electro guys mostly look at wires and gizmos and forget there's a human attached to it.

I'm to hear that Mr. Tea has his double-plus good cardio guy, because the electro guys don't sound very bright.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:20 pm
Miller wrote:
This isn't as bad as the orthopedic surgeon in the Boston area, who, while the paitent was sedated on the table, with his back cut open, left the operating room to run to the bank to cash his paycheck.

He was eventually fired, accused of drug possession, and many other things including sex with a minor male ( in a car ) and I think he's in jail right now.

I hope he's in jail!!! I don't think I've used the word idiot as much as I have the last 24 hours, but this guy obviously makes it on my idiot list!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:57 pm
Avoid hospitals as much as you can.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 03:19 am
Been practicing that all my life and I've gotten pretty good at it :-D

My doc calls me for appointments Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:09 pm
I try to avoid contact with my MD, as much as reasonably possible.
0 Replies