A woman gave birth to a baby on the subway

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:54 pm
Well, that can happen to people! If the labour is way short - and she mighta been in shock!

Babies have done that in labour wards.

But - again, the running off thing is unusual enough to raise alarm bells and mean people need to ensure all is well - for her, and babe.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:58 pm
That was heresay.
And let me clue you in on a ride on the T at that time of day.....
there is NO WAY you are going to do anything but stand...preggers, or anyother thing.
In fact...she was probably propped up by the bodies stuffed in with her.
So....
OF COURSE she was standing dangit. SAD BUT TRUE.
My thoughts here would be hold the doctors who released her responsible, investigate them for cryin out loud.
rant rant rant
Im sorry but, I read the Glob article today and was fuming at it....now Im venting that out here.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:58 pm
Jeez! I didn't read the second link either. Now it's not as sad as it is uncomfortably bizarre and totally frightening. Can you imagine being on that train and seeing that? The witness who said that she began to doubt what she was seeing must have thought that she was going nuts rather than believe what was happening right there in front of her. Can you imagine such a thing?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:02 pm
I can imagine the shock an horror of being the poor woman on the train on the way to the hospital birthing a babe and trying to rush to the hospital and being bombarded by people that, while trying to be nice and helpful arent getting through to her.
She also didnt exactly refuse, fight off and run away from help once she got out of the station.
I just have alot of questions with this one.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:06 pm
Quinn
I agree that she shouldn't have been released and I also share your anger with the media. It's the baby hitting the floor that caught my attention, but I also know that a subway full of people can generate stories and create lots of drama. I'm very torn on this and am lost for words at this point.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:06 pm
quinn, I thought of the hearsay thing too, and if the hitting the floor thing doesn't turn out to be true, then I'm willing to go back to my "well maybe..." response until more comes out. There were a zillion witnesses, though, and somehow this detail rings true.

Oh and no foot-sticking -- again, I had the same reaction until the second link. The first one seemed to emphasize that she didn't ask for or accept help, which just didn't concern me that much.

Basically, there are a lot of little things that seem to add up to something really not right. But yes, a lot of those little things are hearsay, and I could still see how they are explainable. Hope so.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:10 pm
She'll probably end up a raving loon.
Till then though...I just want all the facts....and the Glob has a way of putting a twist on things I dont exactly care for a times...news should be fact filled in my opinion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
I hear ya Quinn. I didn't think anything of the fact that she ran off the train with her baby as she needed to get the baby to the hospital. The fact that she was on her way to the hospital shows that she was in her right mind and delivering a baby on a train will of course put anyone in some form of panic, which does not make the woman unfit by any means.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:13 pm
quinn, do you mean that she'll end up a raving loon because of this ordeal, or that it will probably end up that she is a raving loon (and was before the authorities got ahold of her)?

I definitely noticed that twist even just in the two stories. They left very different impressions.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:18 pm
I agree Sozobe. By the time the second story rolled around, it was very twisted to say the least. Not to speak for Quinn, but I think she meant that people will be treating her like a loon because of the stories. DSS is who I'm worried about!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:20 pm
You know...the loon thing..now that you point that out..either one.
Really, if she was okay prior..she might have serious reprocussions now, unfortunately.
If she wasnt stable prior, shell be worse now.

What cracked me up in the story was how horrified people were by the process/the blood, etc. and you thought it was clean sparkling and filled with good feelings?????? AND that the story is likely edited that way.
They did say she quietly and politely refused help. I give the gal credit for that alone.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:23 pm
I dunno, the quietly and politely refused help could go either way. It definitely doesn't bother me as much as it seemed to bother the author of the articles, but am hesitant to "give her credit" for it if it meant that her baby made a crash landing and skidded a ways.

-sigh-

Will be interested in further info. Hopefully will have a happy ending.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:35 pm
The story makes it sound like she was taking a quite ride on the train and would have the room and ability to have this baby sitting and or lying down....my thoughts knowing this train and this ride at this time of the day is that she had no choice but to be standing....and it is that nasty linoleum type floor...not a soft cushy carpeting...anything wet is going to slide...simple physics....and unfortunate if she had to stand for then it would be a bump and slide as well. I can actually see that as not being an intended--thought out or not thing but, an unfortunate turn of events.
She didnt leave the child there and go running, she tried to clean up the mess even. What she just experienced and the way she experienced it and in some form of shock, Im sure, did those things we do, clean up the mess, be quiet and polite...or go running screaming...you know..its one or the other really Wink
But, seriously..I just hope it turns out well for everyone involved and just ... you know rant rant rant and how some things are left out, twisted and all...just doesnt help the situation, no matter what the outcome. sad. At least they are both in good condition medically at the moment..thats nice.
If only we could fixate on that aspect maybe?
sigh
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:36 pm
Oh dear. Now the hospital is to blame. People are released from hospital early in labour all the time. This is based on the fact that they normally have hours and hours ahead of them. Normally this is fine. That is why they do it.

It may have been a bad decision if there was some reason this woman had to use the subway to get to hospital! Who knows? Nobody knows - except maybe the Shadow.

This thread is getting as nuts as the Kobe thread.

And I confess I helped get it there. 'Cos child protection is part of my work, and most kids don't get protected in this state, at least - and Infant Mental health is both my passion and my specialty, so I have hot buttons.

I am out of here - because this is all just hot air without all the facts.

I wish the woman and her babe well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:39 pm
I hear ya Quinn <sigh>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:44 pm
I hear you too Deb. <double sigh>
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:55 pm
dlowan wrote:
Oh dear. Now the hospital is to blame. People are released from hospital early in labour all the time. This is based on the fact that they normally have hours and hours ahead of them. Normally this is fine. That is why they do it.

it was sarcasm my dear

be forewarned...I am QUITE sarcastic when ranting about the Glob

sighs all around....you should hear the local news in addition to this

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:58 pm
I can only imagine :-(
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:59 pm
back to commenton something entirely different - which I also found greatly shocking on the Kobe thread (which I found shocking, in and of itself).

It seems from what people ar eposting that this story just keeps being updated?

Here, a story involving a minor and their/their mum's health status, would not continue to be updated with such speculation etc. The woman and child would, after the initial report, be extended privacy - except if the woman herself wished to make a statement - a brief comment about her condition and that of the baby might be made by the hospital, in very general terms, and, if any enquiries/criminal charges came out of it, news of this might be published - but, because a minor is involved, and their privacy is protected, there would not be continuing avid publicity and sensationalizing.

Similarly, with the Kobe thing, once charges are laid, the matter is considered sub judice, and publicity is limited to reports of court proceedings. I mean, people will continue to get their rocks off on it privately - but the media feeding frenzy and the publicity machines of the key people and the media published rumour mill does not happen.

As an outsider, American procedures around matters such as these appear very undignified and untoward.

What do you folks think? I don't mean to be rude - I am just so shocked by what I see.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 10:05 pm
American media undignified?

Well, yes.

BIG SIGH
0 Replies