Whose Logo do you gogo?

eoe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:28 am
marycat, if I'd attended the French Culinary Institute, I'd want the world to know it too. Let's face it, sometimes we do wear logos, schools and universities especially, we're most proud of.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 02:05 pm
Capitalism at its best is when every person is a product,
and every human need is restricted and denied to us,
so we will starve and fight to satisfy our humanity
through the purchase of a product.

Everything decent thing in life must be converted into a product
that is unavailable except through hard work and slavery.
That is how you own somebody. That is how I successfully
manipulate people at work, and why they gave me yet another
raise. As a manager I help the company harvest, mine and form
it's human resources. Make people needy and they will do anything for you.

Branding a human is much like branding a cow, except instead
of burning a logo into the flesh we apply it to their mind.
There's less smoke and smell, and it's far more effective than any
physical barrier. Hey if someone's mind is free, take it!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:10 am
This weekend a couple of my friends adds these stories to the mix:

The winner of American Idol is now involved in a lawsuit with the makers of his 205 shirts. Seems sales of shirts soared during the show and he wasn't satisfied with what the shirt maker was offering as a cut of the action. Q: Why would anybody buy a shirt with a big zip code on it? Is this really about feeling part of something bigger than yourself? and is that feeling connected to reality?

The gym a friend goes to offers it's members points for completing certain goals. Guess what you get for your points? A gym bag with the gym's logo on it. And you can buy the bag at the front desk, so who's to know whether it was points or cash, it's still the same advertisement. Shouldn't the gym just offer the bags to it's members for free in order to compensate for being a walking billboard?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:23 am
Not if they can make money off of it. Free capitalism.
We do have a choice whether to make the purchase or not.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:22 pm
I find it interesting that no one has responded to the poll saying they wear sports logos or band names. It seems to me that those are the most common ones I see (after fashion designers -- and only one person admitted to wearing those!)

No one here wears a Yankees cap, or a Pats jacket? No one is young enough to get away with wearing a concert tee in public?

I think it says something about the a2k demographic cross-section that our dress styles are atypical of those I most often see on the streets. Very interesting.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:33 pm
Early harrassment memory:

In the 70s, I had a Levis denim shirt that I wore often. I was about 17.

Some older guy said, "Levis huh?"
I said, "Yeah."
He said, "So what do you call the other one?"

Last time I wore the shirt.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:37 pm
Did you kick him in a sensitive spot, mac? What a creep.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:56 pm
I wear my A2K cap sometimes; I get a kick out of that.

I wear my UCLA sweatshirt sometimes, usually around the house in winter - it's very thick and warm. That's a sentimental attachment. I went there to college, I worked there nine years as a lab tech, I studied art after work for 4 years at their extension, I studied landscape architecture there, and I worked there for a year when I started working in landscape architecture. I sort of came into my own when I started as a sophomore after going to another school, back when I was eighteen, after being the world's shyest teen. I never wore their logo when I still lived in LA; now it is nice to have around.

I wear my Getty Museum teeshirt from my ex bro in law, who was the chief building inspector for it... perhaps once a year.
I wear my Italy tee shirt from the Salvation Army, with italy sewn on thickly in gold thread on an olive green soft shirt....about twice a year.
Sneakers - I usually own New Balance, don't wear them all that often, more of a clog wearer.

That's it.

I didn't answer the poll, since there was no box for "almost never wear logos".....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:58 pm
I can't recall what I said or did. Other than to get out of there as quickly as possible. Yep, a creep.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:05 pm
Check the poll Osso, just for you. It's harder to write one of these polls than it is to formulate the question.....

And there ought to be a way someone could vote for more than one choice.

But anyway, great story, mac11, what is it with some guys? Did he think he would pick you up with that line?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
Thanks, Joe, you're a peach!

I know, I know, I wrote a poll once. Sigh.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:30 pm
I used to blush easily. Not so anymore! Very Happy
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:40 am
"I wear the logo on my chef pants, because they're good pants, not because there's a logo."
-That's the right attitude...

Yeah, my favorite jeans will tell you who they are made by. All of my sneakers will (Chuck Taylors' boomerang!).

Tee shirts I did not pay for. Usually use those for yard work. Things that I agree with I use in the front yard by the street such as my Red Cross blood drive freebies. My employer gives nice shirts with their logo. I wear 'em. Yeah, it's a uniform, and yeah, I think next year the boss is gonna get us all tattooed, but it's good quality and it's free. Last winter the boss gave us all $200 winter jackets as a bonus (although HE didn't pay 200 per for 100 jackets, you bet!)

Do not wear obvious logos if I can avoid it, otherwise. Don't buy Nikes (gonna think about Converse, but still buy the Chucks), don't buy Adidas, nor Reebok. Buy Levis, cuz they're worth it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 05:28 am
Oh, goodie, spam.

Joe(I'll have an egg on mine)Nation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
IMO, I would NEVER buy a shirt with a large logo. If a company wants me to advertise their product, I would need to get paid!

I want to retract my own words. Somehow, ( I don't know where) I picked up a t-shirt (probably a giveaway) that advertised some local rock station. I don't listen to that station, and by the logo, don't think that I would ever want to.

The thing is that it is nice and loose, the right weight and length, to wear when I am going for my sweaty 4 1/2 mile walks.

I also have a cap from "Shoot Straight", which I got for free when I bought my "equipment"! Razz

I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:47 am
@Joe Nation,
I don't believe I ever answered the original question:

I wear Old Navy sometimes, because I buy cheap sweatshirts from there, and getting the logo is part of the deal.

I wear free T-shirts with logos, because they were free.

That's about it, I think.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:22 am
@Joe Nation,
ha - thread revival:

ooooooh... many years ago when I was a very wee Iz...

light blue t-shirt with this on...

http://www.adslogans.co.uk/site/media/.gallery/main8434.jpg

was so proud of myself when I could actually say it all in one go - drove my parents nuts!

nowadays - just got a nice A2K meet hat from our c.i. Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
I don't think that Pepsi campaign ever aired in the USA. I would have remembered, not because of the slogan (what is ACE tasting?) but because of the blond.

Joe(raised by wolves, stunned by blonds)Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 01:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Since college I started refusing to wear logos. I always thought corps should be paying us to advertise for them - we shouldn't be paying for the honor of advertising for them. Of course, I wore band shirts long after my ban on logo shirts. It went well beyond shirts for me. I'd cut away at the Levi tags, too.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 03:34 pm
@littlek,
K: I forget, did I ever answer my own question? Even if I did, this thread is so old that I think it's time for a review of my own personal experience. Thus:

I wear running events t-shirts. I've earned them by running in a race of 5K, 5 miles, 10K, half marathons, etc. All of them have logos on them, less prominent than the Title of The RACE: 18 Mile LaceUp, , SpeedUp, TuneUP! but still readable to the all the runners running past me.
(That's a lot of runners)
The Central Park Conservancy is there.
(hey..they are good people. I am a member. http://www.centralparknyc.org/),
but also on the shirt are Asics, Gatorade and Powerbar. meh.

When the Boston Red Sox are in town or when the Yankees travel to Fenway Park, I wear my Red Sox hat or my Red Sox Jersey or (if I am really feeling suicidal, both.

We all could write an entire book on the differences between wearing a Tommy Hilfiger shirt and wearing the ---okay, okay, the Red Sox are a corporation, too -- sacred jersey of the finest bunch of scrappy happy go lucky ballplayers in the world (as opposed to the evil, money grubbing pinstriped slugs of the Bronx.)

( I am sorry to say such things on the very day that the greatest owner ever to walk the earth, George Steinbrenner, passed away. An owner with the same grit as Ty(I'll spike you if I get the chance, ever chance I get) Cobb. What's not to like? R.I.P. George)

That's about it. Oh, wait. I have a Nike hat. Very good running hat, wicks excellently. And I have orange laces on my best shoes in support (I paid an extra $10) of LiveStrong.

That's all.
Joe(This Space is not Available)Nation